Failed IPP and cost to repair

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Biker60

Failed IPP and cost to repair

Postby Biker60 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 am

I am scheduled for a implant next month. I have had 2nd thoughts about getting this done. Have switched surgeons as well. If they are not responsive before the procedure, can only guess it gets worst. Well since my employer excludes implants for any reason whatsoever, except if you have gender identity issues. I am paying out of pocket. So I am concerned if I pay my $25k upfront and the unit fails is there any warranty ? Also, when guys get a revision or repair, your paying again. What are the cost associated with a 2nd procedure? I have severe peyronies with 90+ bend up and to the left. I am 59 healthy except for PD.

Thanks

Mike

newbie443

Re: Failed IPP and cost to repair

Postby newbie443 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:04 am

There used to be a service for self pay that had insurance you could buy for reoperation. But I decided against that. I went with a doc with a low infection rate as that was my biggest fear and I did avoid that. My results was not perfect and I feel I do need a reoperation but I cannot afford it so I will try to get by for the next 2.5 years until Medicare is available and see if I can get my problems corrected. My chances for these problems were very very low and I still believe I made a good choice. I was just unlucky. My thinking was that I would go with a doc with aggressive sizing and low infection rate instead of one with reoperation insurance that was less experienced.

If you have a very good doctor for this locally that would be my choice. I do not. Locals in my area do only 2-3 a year and say it is a very difficult surgery. So difficult none do reoperations. There were 2 docs within 100 or so miles from me that were affiliated with the out of pocket program with option for buying reoperation insurance. I looked at them but was not happy enough with them to use them. I do not remember the name of that service and have not seen it mentioned on here for a while so I do not even know if it is still exists.

I have not had a reoperation so I cannot say about costs. But it would depend I would think on what was done. A tubing repair or pump replacement would differ greatly from infection which required removal and then full replacement. There are no guaranties buy with a very good doctor these risks are very very low.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

DaveKell

Postby DaveKell » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 am

I was told there's little cost involved for a complete replacement revision as a result of premature failure of the implant. My doctor said the implant unit itself is provided for free as is his services. I'm assuming this would apply to a very premature failure.
Became DaveKell 2.0 on July 18th with Dr. Allen Morey in Dallas, TX. AMS 700 CX implant. 18cm with 5.5 RTE's.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Biker60 wrote:I am scheduled for a implant next month. I have had 2nd thoughts about getting this done. Have switched surgeons as well. If they are not responsive before the procedure, can only guess it gets worst. Well since my employer excludes implants for any reason whatsoever, except if you have gender identity issues. I am paying out of pocket. So I am concerned if I pay my $25k upfront and the unit fails is there any warranty ? Also, when guys get a revision or repair, your paying again. What are the cost associated with a 2nd procedure? I have severe peyronies with 90+ bend up and to the left. I am 59 healthy except for PD.

Thanks

Mike

Self-paying patients can often get a reduction in fees/costs because they are self-paying. Talk to your surgeon's office manager about that.

Appealing insurance company decisions/rejections/exclusions can sometimes result in waiving their disallowances. Severe Peyronies' is a legitimate cause. If they would pay for plastic surgery to repair a facial disfigurement, they should pay for a penile disfigurement. Such arguments (carefully chosen) have weight. Insurance companies do not like bad publicity and sometimes grans singular waivers to avoid having to make changes to their coverage across the board.

Explore your options, perhaps with a consult from a lawyer who specializes in negotiating with insurance companies. Worth it.

Good Luck
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
Biker60 wrote:I am scheduled for a implant next month. I have had 2nd thoughts about getting this done. Have switched surgeons as well. If they are not responsive before the procedure, can only guess it gets worst. Well since my employer excludes implants for any reason whatsoever, except if you have gender identity issues. I am paying out of pocket. So I am concerned if I pay my $25k upfront and the unit fails is there any warranty ? Also, when guys get a revision or repair, your paying again. What are the cost associated with a 2nd procedure? I have severe peyronies with 90+ bend up and to the left. I am 59 healthy except for PD.

Thanks

Mike

Self-paying patients can often get a reduction in fees/costs because they are self-paying. Talk to your surgeon's office manager about that.

Appealing insurance company decisions/rejections/exclusions can sometimes result in waiving their disallowances. Severe Peyronies' is a legitimate cause. If they would pay for plastic surgery to repair a facial disfigurement, they should pay for a penile disfigurement. Such arguments (carefully chosen) have weight. Insurance companies do not like bad publicity and sometimes grans singular waivers to avoid having to make changes to their coverage across the board.

Explore your options, perhaps with a consult from a lawyer who specializes in negotiating with insurance companies. Worth it.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply. I have an employer funded Aetna plan. Aetna policy is that implants is are a medical need for peyronies when you fit there criteria. Problem, employer has exclusion on implants in many cases. The last study I saw was that of all men having insurance claims for IPP 15% have the exclusion.

Return to “Implants”