Cost

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JTB121249

Cost

Postby JTB121249 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:47 am

Will insurance or medicare pay for an implant ? I am currently using a Tri-mix type of injection- from a compounding pharmacy. There is a doctor in the area "installing" implants, but he seems very eager to do this procedure. I am wondering the costs - and will insurance pay or medicare ???

dg_moore

Re: Cost

Postby dg_moore » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Medicare does cover implants. Private insurance varies from carrier to carrier, and if employer-provided, depends on whether the employer supports coverage for implants. So if Insurer A provides implant coverage for Company B - which itself approves implant coverage, Insurer A will not provide implant coverage for Company C if that company excludes implant coverage.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

WhiteCane

Postby WhiteCane » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 pm

OK, I’m a weird case… I’m 32… I’m blind and I’m within three years of double organ transplants… I qualify “for now“ for Medicare and Pennsylvania state Medicaid… I am seeing a surgeon because of his experience that is a state or two away… Total cost of surgery is 20,000… Medicaid “because it is out of state“ is not picking up any of it… Medicare is taking care of all except an estimated 2900… I hope that helps maybe even a little bit… Best of luck, brother!
Implanted October 2019 Dr. Kramer lgx 18 cm +2 rear tips. Preop at 6.75 post op 5.25... awaiting revision… Implanted for possibility of having our first child.

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 pm

My first implant was paid by Humana (less my deductible). My second implant was paid by Humana (less my deductible) although I paid Dr. Perito myself, as he was not in Humana's network. The hospital, implant etc was paid by Humana. My third implant was paid by Medicare (less my deductible).

I think it was first covered by Humana as it was to "make me whole after prostate cancer", much as breast augmentation is to make women whole after breast cancer. Emphasis on 'I think'!

Good luck man!
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Return to “Implants”