Fight insurance or pay for it?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Biker60

Fight insurance or pay for it?

Postby Biker60 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 am

Got turned down just because it’s a penile implant. Just don’t pay for such a thing.
Breast implants covered, gender change covered. Xiaflex 40k covered and did more harm then good. Work for a hospital system. Yes a hospital system that excludes implants out. I was told the implant surgeon would fight for exception. I have ready bad Peyronies. Now lost 3 inches. My options pay $$$. Or contact Boston scientific? Does anyone know where That they can do?! Now might need surgery to remove plaque. Covered, just no implants. So need to find surgeon who will do the covered work and I will pay for the implants cash. This way. Surgical center is covered, surgery cost etc. any ideas ? Any chance to fight over the exclusion ?

NeedleD

Re: Fight insurance or pay for it?

Postby NeedleD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 am

Biker60 wrote:Got turned down just because it’s a penile implant. Just don’t pay for such a thing.
Breast implants covered, gender change covered. Xiaflex 40k covered and did more harm then good. Work for a hospital system. Yes a hospital system that excludes implants out. I was told the implant surgeon would fight for exception. I have ready bad Peyronies. Now lost 3 inches. My options pay $$$. Or contact Boston scientific? Does anyone know where That they can do?! Now might need surgery to remove plaque. Covered, just no implants. So need to find surgeon who will do the covered work and I will pay for the implants cash. This way. Surgical center is covered, surgery cost etc. any ideas ? Any chance to fight over the exclusion ?

Coloplaste is fighting for me, they are very aggressive and will put up a good fight. They contacted the Insurance Co etc and I am waiting to hear back. I suggest you do contact Boston Scientific they probably will do the same.
Use Super Quadmix due to severe Venous leak.Have a GREAT DAY!

andrew1959nj

Postby andrew1959nj » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:59 am

I looked into a bad faith case and it would have cost at least 3-10 times the cost of the implant to fight it.
60 years old. MS and Severe ED 10+ years. Pills and injections never worked well. Implanted 5/16/2019 by Dr. Sadeghi. Titan 20cm + 2cm RTE.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 am

Biker60 wrote:Got turned down just because it’s a penile implant. Just don’t pay for such a thing.

Just a layman's opinion. It seems to me that if something is specifically excluded that fighting it might be difficult.
You could also resign yourself that at least getting some of the surgery covered by having the covered condition done. That you have a partial victory. Best of luck.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Is there the option to purchase a rider for additional coverage? Or switch policies? This would require waiting a year for the "preexisting condition" exclusion to run out, but using a V.E.D. in the meantime should limit any further size loss.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 pm

NeedleD wrote:

Coloplaste is fighting for me, they are very aggressive and will put up a good fight. They contacted the Insurance Co etc and I am waiting to hear back. I suggest you do contact Boston Scientific they probably will do the same.

Did contact Boston, since the denial is not Aetna, its my employer. They are contacting employer and explaining the need for a exception to the exclusion.

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Gt1956 wrote:

Just a layman's opinion. It seems to me that if something is specifically excluded that fighting it might be difficult.
You could also resign yourself that at least getting some of the surgery covered by having the covered condition done. That you have a partial victory. Best of luck.

Good point, since I will need plaque and grafting, insurance will pay for all of that 100%, the implant cost should be cheaper, since I insurance is paying for hospital, doctor, anesthesia. My cost should be just the implant and the surgeons time to implant. I will pay for it, but I don't want to pay for procedures that are covered.

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:Is there the option to purchase a rider for additional coverage? Or switch policies? This would require waiting a year for the "preexisting condition" exclusion to run out, but using a V.E.D. in the meantime should limit any further size loss.

I can't wait any more, no treatment for PD has worked. I work for large company 13500 employees. The insurance options are hmo, pos, or ppo. No riders, so I am going to pay.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Biker60 wrote:
Gt1956 wrote:

Good point, since I will need plaque and grafting, insurance will pay for all of that 100%, the implant cost should be cheaper, since I insurance is paying for hospital, doctor, anesthesia. My cost should be just the implant and the surgeons time to implant. I will pay for it, but I don't want to pay for procedures that are covered.

Well it is a partial win in my book. Still won't be cheap. But again, another way to look at it as just a high co-pay. Makes it a little easier to swallow. I don't have exact price data but I've read that the implant itself runs around $8k. My advice, and it is worth exactly what I'm charging for it. If you know that you'll be getting a Titan. Start beating on their door for a price break. It never hurts to ask for a discount, politely.
Geez, they gave an implant away on that doctors show on television. I think Haky installed it for free to boot. Good luck.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

rdnkbiker

Postby rdnkbiker » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:00 am

I feel for you biker my insurance said they would cover it and gave my doc a confirmation # the whole bit then 3 days before said no I talked with who I could that short time period they all said the insurance already gave a conformation # it will be fine so I did the surgery was a lot more surgery then expected 5 hours worth after all said and done I had to pay out of pocket still paying I'm sure it will be wore out before I get it payed for lol whatever the cost get it in writing don't be like me and wake up to a 90k dollar implant bill

Jim
HBP since my 20s Full ED i was 55 when i received my implant January 17th 2017 sever scare tissue through corpora cavernosa clear to the glands (no blood flow) complete revision new equipment july 10th 2023 AMS CX 21cm by DR.William Brant very happy

Return to “Implants”