Implant consult tomorrow...what to ask???

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Chiefy

Implant consult tomorrow...what to ask???

Postby Chiefy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 am

Hello all. Stumbled onto this site and been reading for a couple days. I have a consult appt with my doc tomorrow, with an implant scheduled for 18 Oct. I'm considering moving it to after the 1st of the year as we do Halloween and Xmas BIG. Anyway, I'm a peyronies victim, and had incision and grafting surgery this last feb. I had some ED as part of severe peyronies and post surgery, it seems straight now, albeit significantly shorter, but the ED persists. I'm using traction and VED for the last 6 or 7 weeks, but sure wish I knew to start that long ago as I fear I've had some permanent loss, and I was on the small side to begin with. Based on what I've read, here's my list of Qs for the doc. Am I missing anything?

I've been doing vacuum and traction (RestoreX) for 7 weeks. I've seem some improvement. When I started, my penile ligament was so short I couldn't even get in the restoreX. Now I'm at a whopping 5 inches stretched. I use the traction for 30 min, followed by 15 min or so of vacuum. On days I don't do traction, I do vacuum for 30 min. I pump to just below pain level and leave it. I'm doing this regimen based on what I read elsewhere, but not sure if more or less would be better. If I delay surgery until Jan, will continuing this result in a better, read longer, outcome? A BIG part of me wants to get it done in Oct, regardless of how big it ends up...working dick is the goal, size is just a bonus. Wife has been very supportive (40 yrs and counting), but it's been a year+!

Pubic or scrotal incision. Seems like scrotal is preferred, but odd that leading docs prefer different approaches. My doc, Casey McCraw, had said he does pubic as it was slightly better for the patient, but didn't elaborate. I understand it's easier to get the size right going scrotal, which I'd think is the #1 concern.

I'll ask how many he's done and if I can speak with some patients. Some have said look for 100 a year, and while volume is important, the results are to. He's fellowship trained for whatever that's worth and had said he'd done a lot, but I'm going to press him on what that means in numbers. He recently moved here to Vegas last year.

He'll be using titan, which is my preference based on readings.

How long before cycling? Amazing how much of a difference there is here. From 3 days to more than a month.

I'd like to see/play with one to get to know the geography beforehand, but don't see anyone else doing that.

Does he have any personal data on infection rates? I've already picked one of the best hospitals in town.

I believe there's going to be a company rep in the room. Doc told me he just sits in the corner and made it sound like it was just the way it's done. Is it?

Anything else I should ask? Thanks!

Lost Sheep

Re: Implant consult tomorrow...what to ask???

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Welcome to the site, Chiefy,

When I first joined FrankTalk, I took a couple weekends to read through two and a half years of posts/threads with titles that interested me and appeared informative. I recommend this to you. It will give you a better basis for forming questions and understanding the answers. This will also help get your medical team to accept you as a contributing partner in the decision-making.

There is a thread that begins with a long list of questions that are good to ask your surgeon. I hope you find it. I looked for it just now and came up with too many to cull through (I am at work). If you do find it, please post a link. There have been a couple other members asking for a list of questions. There is also another thread that lists the things you should take with you to the surgery, especially if you are travelling out of town. It also advises some practical suggestions for post-op preparedness. Sorry I cannot be more informative.

I also recommend what you already started doing...doing extensive research on your chosen urologist/sexual health physician and interview him (or her) pointedly and make yourself an integral part of the medical team. (Of course, many men choose not to do that and I cannot fault them - just do what is comfortable for your personality and approach to your medical care.)
Last edited by Lost Sheep on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Even though some docs and patients are satisfied with the penile approach, I wouldn't want it.

Also, I think I'd rather have the LGX if I wanted a bit of future growth in length.
That's also controversial.

I'm somewhat happy with the urological facility here in Phoenix.
My doc insisted on using the CX and it seems fine, but I wanted the LGX.

I'm now seeing a different uro in the same facility and he really seems competent.

I go to Ironwood Urology.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm

tomas1 wrote:I go to Ironwood Urology.

Sorry, I cannot resist the pun.

"Iron Wood" Do they specialize is sexual functioning?
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Write down your questions and bring them. It’s easy to forget one or two.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:

I get the pun. Ironwood is a desert tree whose name accurately describes the trees wood. Dense, heavy & hard. Perfect comparison in many of our minds.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:53 pm

When I posted the name, Ironwood, I kinda expected to hear the comparison.
They do also prescribe injections, testosterone, and prostate screening and surgery.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Gt1956 wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:

I get the pun. Ironwood is a desert tree whose name accurately describes the trees wood. Dense, heavy & hard. Perfect comparison in many of our minds.

Yes, I know the wood. It is one of the few woods that will not float in water. It also makes beautiful carvings. I collected a few when my parents lived in Yuma. We would cross the border (to Algodones) where there were dozens of street vendors selling carvings.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Try looking in these threads.

Read all the pages, not just the initial posts.

viewtopic.php?p=60730#p60730
viewtopic.php?p=38666#p38666
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9152
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Chiefy

Postby Chiefy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks Sheep, very informative threads.

Return to “Implants”