Why is durability improvement so slow?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
benefitter

Why is durability improvement so slow?

Postby benefitter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:23 pm

The 1990s article states that implants can be used for 5 to 20 years.
No different from today
Why doesn't durability improve significantly?
As a young candidate for implant surgery, that really bothers me.
How many times do I need resurgery?
young 20s male, but i think my only option is implant
not good at english

FMLFML85

deleted

Postby FMLFML85 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:31 pm

deleted
Last edited by FMLFML85 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

oldbeek

Re: Why is durability improvement so slow?

Postby oldbeek » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Maybe the Japanese need to start making one. They shure made the big three auto makers step up to the plate with some quality.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Not just durability, but usability as well.

I don't doubt they are doing the best they can.

Of course, the barriers to entry in the medical device field are significant, so the current manufacturers are somewhat protected against competition.

The Government approves all medical devices. So there is bureaucracy to deal with.

The manufacturers have a STRONG incentive to make these thinks easy to operate in the blind and through our tender scrotal skin next to tender testicles. So, a single button to operate it is practically demanded. That means the internal mechanisms have to be complex, yet nearly as reliable as the systems we put into manned spacecraft, but without the luxury of redundancy.

Their attention is divided among other medical devices. You know they don't just make implants.

They are working (maybe not the current manufacturers, but the "they" we all know and love) on better prosthetics. The memory-metal imlant that has no pump and no reservoir but expands when you apply a magnetic field to it is in animal testing, I believe. But what human would volunteer to be the first to test an untested prototype?

Improvements are usually incremental. And there have been incremental improvements constantly applied. Antiseptic coating, improved valve operations, etc.

Having said that, I REALLY wish for a way to have positive deflation as well as positive inflation. Design of the implant to make inevitable revisions easier. A way to pump up the implant by coital means instead of manual. (My first post on FrankTalk was a hare-brained design-the volume of the fluid transfer was inadequate, but the idea was intriguing.)
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Don't forget that a large segment of the target market men might be thrilled if they are still alive in 20 years.
Basically, what the market needs to "see" is more & especially younger men getting implants. The lifetime warranty would drive the makers to produce a better implant. I.E. why would they want to "give away" a larger percentage of implants? Lots of men currently are in the age range of "one & done". Even if they are still ready for a love life. Perhaps their mate is not interested, in poor health or has died. Youth needs to step up, get those implants guys. :D
Alternate opinions are encouraged.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:30 pm

It ain't gonna happen, but with the profit margin these devices surely have, the mfrs (oops) should give lifetime warranties.
Obviously the docs will still charge as much as the market will bear.

I'd love to see the actual cost of the 3 piece implant?
No doubt it's under $1k.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:18 pm

tomas1 wrote:It ain't gonna happen, but with the profit margin these devices surely have, the mfrs (oops) should give lifetime warranties.
Obviously the docs will still charge as much as the market will bear.

I'd love to see the actual cost of the 3 piece implant?
No doubt it's under $1k.

Just off the top of my head, Probably about right.

Materials cost maybe $50
Labor cost each $100
Handling & packaging costs (sterile handling procedures are not cheap) $200
Shipping, inventorying, administration another $100
Insurance against lawsuits for defects $200
Amortizing the cost of the machinery to make the devices $200
Continuing research for new or improved features $100

Total $950

Marketing/advertising, patient liaison professionals - I would not be surprised at a few hundred or more.
Overhead not already mentioned another couple hundred.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 pm

My wife had jaw surgery about 15 years ago. 6 very tiny screws were used to hold some sections of her lower jaw together. As I recall, our insurance was billed just under $250 per screw. Don't remember or never knew the actual amount paid.
Not bad work if you can get it. Also, remember. This was before the medical billing got crazier than it was at the time.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Return to “Implants”