Question about durability of implant..

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
edsince18

Question about durability of implant..

Postby edsince18 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Dr.Eid says average implant will last 8~12 years on his site.
However, some medical papers say that the 15-year survival rate of implants is about 70%.

If the 15-year survival rate is 70%, Shouldn't the average duration be over 15 years?
Is my math calculation wrong? Or are the papers exaggerating implant's survival rate?
ed since high school graduation, 25 years old now

Gt1956

Re: Question about durability of implant..

Postby Gt1956 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:46 pm

edsince18 wrote:Dr.Eid says average implant will last 8~12 years on his site.
However, some medical papers say that the 15-year survival rate of implants is about 70%.

If the 15-year survival rate is 70%, Shouldn't the average duration be over 15 years?
Is my math calculation wrong? Or are the papers exaggerating implant's survival rate?

Some of the newer models haven't been out for a long time. My guess is that you're running in to a statistic difference between many of the older models & the anticipated life span of the newer models.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Depends on the statistical distribution of the data collected and also the selection criteria.

(These numbers below are COMPLETELY made up and likely bear no relationship to reality).
Say, for instance, 20% of implants fail in the first two months and the other 80% last 9 years, that is an average service life of 7.23 years. (2 implants x 2 months = 4 months plus 8 implants x 108 months = 864 months , total of 868 months of service on 10 implants. 86.8 months per implant on average or 7.23 years.

If 10% fail in two months and 90% last 9 years, that is an average service life of 8.12 years.
If 5% fail in two months and 95% last 9 years, that is an average service life of 8.56 years.

That is only if you take the failed implants. But if you take all implants currently in service, those that have not failed will skew the service life.

On the other hand, if you take all the failed implants, but exclude the all the implants older than some arbitrary date (because their older technology may skew the average), you get a different result.

And my figures are calculated on months of service per implant. If you measure longevity in some other way, the numbers will be different.

Statistics can be easily manipulated.

What you REALLY (in my opinion) want to know is what to do to keep your brand new implant in working order as long as possible, right?

The service life of all brand-new implants manufactured (or implanted) between today and tomorrow is what you would LIKE to know, but that is unknowable.

My biggest concern when studying up on implants was which (CURRENT design) implants were expected to have the longer service life (no matter what statistical method was used) and what modes of failure were most problematic, especially for revision (e.g. replacing the pump is easier than replacing the implant itself).
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:51 pm

This is a question which is asked all the time, and the answer is that it is different on every person. I am a good example of that. First lasted 15 years, second lasted only twenty months pump failure, and the third is still working perfect. But they are mechanical pumps and they can fail, other factors can also occur. But I will say that an implant will make you feel like a man again. When you lose that tool, it was very depressing for me. So I highly recommend it to any man that suffers from ED.
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

I either have sex or masturbate almost everyday. Found two studies that show older guys who masturbate at least 21 times a month have a better chance of not getting prostate cancer. So far so good as my PSA is lower now then two years ago. Hope it stay low.
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:48 pm

Don't forget that some men don't out live their implant or lose their partner. So many factors to consider that my head spins just thinking about it. 15 years is a long time. I'd take that chance.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Gt1956 wrote:Don't forget that some men don't out live their implant or lose their partner. So many factors to consider that my head spins just thinking about it. 15 years is a long time. I'd take that chance.

I forgot about that fact.

So the original question may be asked two ways.

What is the average service life of an implant (calculated by when either the implant expires or its owner expires)?

What is the age of the service life of an implant when IT fails (counting only those implantw outlived by their owners)?
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:55 pm

It might be my age at 57 but if this thing malfunctioned tonight I would be at a doc tomorrow. The past 5 months have been so much better than the previous almost 3 years.

If they could not fix it i would be no worse off than i was 5 months ago. Pretty much a platonic relationship with my wife. Sex is not everything but it is pretty darn good. I am going to use this thing till it wears out then get another one if possible then another one, then another, till they tell me no more.

Then back to platonic relationship.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 pm

It might be my age at 57 but if this thing malfunctioned tonight I would be at a doc tomorrow. The past 5 months have been so much better than the previous almost 3 years.

If they could not fix it i would be no worse off than i was 5 months ago. Pretty much a platonic relationship with my wife. Sex is not everything but it is pretty darn good. I am going to use this thing till it wears out then get another one if possible then another one, then another, till they tell me no more.

Then back to platonic relationship. But I plan on wearing each one of these out till then.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Return to “Implants”