deleted

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
FMLFML85

deleted

Postby FMLFML85 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by FMLFML85 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lost Sheep

Re: Cleaning wound and bathing

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm

FMLFML85 wrote:How do you guys take care of your wound after surgery? Do you put anything in the bath water to help prevent infection? Is using maxi pads in my underwear a good idea? Any other good tips to avoid infection?

Take no chances. Talk to your surgical team about this question. Immediately. They will give you the instruction sheet and answer in detail. Depending (exclusively) on information here is risky, though often very friendly and easy to understand.

Most surgery centers and hospitals give you an instruction sheet when you leave their care with specific instructions in detail.

Maxi pads might do, as they are generally sealed at the factory, but sterile gauze specifically packaged for wound care is the generally accepted material, with an antibiotic cream/ointment applied EVERY time the dressing is changed. It keeps bacteria populations down and limits adhesion of the gauze/pad to the wound (ouch!).

The general rule for bathing is NO IMMERSION until the wound is completely sealed at the skin. Often, this means a couple weeks until your surgeon examines you and gives the OK to bathing.

This applies to ALL openings in the skin either surgical or accidental, but is ESPECIALLY CRITICAL in an area of the body that is so friendly a grown medium (for bacteria, yeast, mold, etc. being dark, warm and moist) and in close proximity to the rectum (who but God would put a playground so close to a toxic waste site?).

Take no chances. An infection can spread very rapidly in the confines of a penis and follow the tubing into your abdomen/reservoir or up the implant. This can, in the worst cases lead to tissue loss (in one recent case, the entire penis) or removal of the implant, at least temporarily.

Take no chances. Talk to your surgical team about this question. Immediately. They will give you the instruction sheet and answer in detail. Depending (exclusively) on information here is risky, though often very friendly and easy to understand.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

David_R

Postby David_R » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:Take no chances. Talk to your surgical team about this question. Immediately. They will give you the instruction sheet and answer in detail. Depending (exclusively) on information here is risky, though often very friendly and easy to understand.

+ 1

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Obviously you should follow directions if you got any, I never got ANY after surgery.
In my case, I only showered and I think that would minimize chances of infection.

I did use Neosporin on my incision and "snake eyes" and I think that aided healing.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:09 pm

POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS For the Penile Implant
Please call the office at (212) 535-6690 to schedule your first post-operative visit with Dr. Eid to remove the stitches 14 days following the procedure.
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
You should make an appointment 14 days after surgery in order to remove the stitches. At the end of the visit, you will be given an appointment in 3 to 6 weeks for instruction on use of the pump. You should be sexually functional within 3 to 8 weeks after the procedure.
To contact Dr. Eid, please refer to the following list of phone numbers.
During office hours, Monday-Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm: (212) 535-6690 After office hours: Dr. Eid’s cellular phone (917) 797-xxxx
If he is not in the operating room, you will receive a call back within 5-30 minutes. If you do not hear back from him, then your message was not received and you should call again or call the office number and an operator will page him.
2. WOUND AND PENILE PUMP CARE
First of all, dress for comfort. Continue to wear the athletic supporter until you are examined at your post-operative appointment. Keep your incision clean and dry. The dressing should be removed two full days after the procedure (surgical day does not count).
Please stay flat on your back for two full days starting on the day after the procedure. This will minimize swelling around the pump and will facilitate early use of the device. In the first week after the procedure, scar tissue will form around the entire components of the internal penile pump. It is imperative that the penis be maintained in a straight position during this time. This will involve keeping the penis pointing towards the umbilicus (belly button) using the athletic supporter which is provided to you at the end of the procedure.
A small amount of fluid remains in the cylinders at all times. This is to prevent formation of scarring on a completely deflated cylinder. It is therefore normal for patients to feel that a partial erection is present. As swelling subsides, stretching of the penis will occur and the penis will eventually return to a more flaccid (soft) state.
Scar tissue will also form around the scrotal pump. Therefore, if the pump is pushed up into the scrotal sac (by sitting on the scrotum) during the first 2 days, the pump will permanently stay there. The pump will be more difficult to find, and the activation / deactivation of the device will be more challenging.
It is normal to have bruises and discoloration of the scrotum and penis in the first 10 to 14 days of the surgery. Swelling of the penis and foreskin is also commonly observed. With hot baths, flat on your back, swelling will slowly disappear over a 10 to 14 day period. As healing occurs, pain will gradually subside. It is normal to have pain and discomfort when standing. In the supine position, pain should gradually subside. It is not normal for the pain to increase after 5 to 7 days. Please call me at any time if you feel that the pain is increasing in the post operative period.
3. BATHING
On the third day after the procedure, please start 2 to 3 hot baths a day (not showers). You should lie down flat on your back (this is not a sitz bath) in the bath tub with knees bent or legs up. Ideally the scrotal sac should be the highest part of the body in the water to facilitate the elimination of the swelling. These baths should last approximately 40 minutes and will help reduce inflammation, swelling and tenderness. Wash the incision with soap and water and pat it dry. Do not apply cream or ointment to the scrotum. Hot bath soaks are required for comfort, pain relief and tissue healing. If you do not have a bath tub, you may use an electric heating pad instead.
4. ACTIVITY
For the first two day, please remain in bed as much as possible in order to minimize swelling. You should walk for approximately 5 minutes 3 times a day. On the third day after surgery, please begin light to moderate activities and gradually increase movement as you feel better. You may return to work at your discretion, usually after 1 to 2 weeks.
5. MEDICATIONS
You will be sent home with several prescriptions on your pre-op visit. Be sure to get these filled prior to the procedure. You may not experience any discomfort at the time of discharge, but it is not unusual for patients to have an increase in pain 3- 5 days after surgery as your activity increases. Pain medication should be taken as needed for comfort. If a laxative is necessary, use a mild one such as Milk of Magnesia, Senekot, Metamucil or Fleet Enema. If you are on medications at home, you should resume them unless otherwise instructed by Dr. Eid.
6. DIET
There are no diet restrictions. However, we recommend balanced meals including foods that promote tissue healing, such as lean meats, green and yellow vegetables, citrus fruits, dairy products, and whole wheat breads and grains. If you are diabetic, return to your pre-operative recommended ADA diet. Constipation is usually experienced after a surgical procedure and is often due to pain medication. For that reason, we recommend that you start taking Colace twice daily, three days before the procedure.
Thank you.
J. Francois Eid, M.D. and Staff
Attachments
Post operative instructions.pdf
(104.46 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

SeaCapt

Postby SeaCapt » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm

My instructions from Dr. Eid were very similar, perhaps updated a bit. It now recommends starting cycling as soon as you are confident with the deflate button, ideally 3-14 days after surgery. As he gives you a sample pump to take with you, no more appointment for later to learn how to use it.

Dr. Eid seals the incision with glue and stitches, specifically so you can bathe 2-3 times a day without concern, starting on day 3. The first 2 days after surgery are flat on your back, with bandages on everything, no bathing, and the wound closes completely during this time. They recommend simple cleaning with soap and water, same as when you take a shower.
56. RARP for prostate cancer in Feb. 17, then no-go with pills, injections, vacuum, so here I am. Titan 20cm by Dr. Eid on 8/6/19, cycling on Day 4, stitches out Day 14, sex with a grateful wife on Day 20. And 21, 22, 23, etc.

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:34 pm

I guess it would be OK to sit in water that your butt sits in if the incision was closed completely.
If just regular sutures were used, why would you do it?
I realize that's a hypothetical situation; not related to one surgeon's suggestions.
I also can't imagine lying flat on my back for 2 days, but whatever works. I had no issues by not doing it, but I repeat, I didn't get any instructions.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:29 pm

SeaCapt wrote:My instructions from Dr. Eid were very similar, perhaps updated a bit. It now recommends starting cycling as soon as you are confident with the deflate button, ideally 3-14 days after surgery. As he gives you a sample pump to take with you, no more appointment for later to learn how to use it.

Dr. Eid seals the incision with glue and stitches, specifically so you can bathe 2-3 times a day without concern, starting on day 3. The first 2 days after surgery are flat on your back, with bandages on everything, no bathing, and the wound closes completely during this time. They recommend simple cleaning with soap and water, same as when you take a shower.

Yes, the essential element is that the incision is completely closed and water-tight. Stitches alone don't do that until the incision flesh heals. Glue makes a seal, but not one that can be scrubbed energetically early on.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”