Finally Got a Surgical Date...and I’m scared to death!

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
marlow13

Finally Got a Surgical Date...and I’m scared to death!

Postby marlow13 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:59 pm

After having a radical robotic prostatectomy 1.5 years ago I’ve been gradually having to increase from Tri-Mix to Quad-Mix and having to increase doses of quad mix just to have a semi adequate erection that has to be pumped and 2 cock rings to have sex. I did my consult with Dr. Dean Knoll one of the best in the country that has done 1000’s of implants. He was very reassuring that this was the best way to go.

Now I’ve been approved by my insurance and it’s completely covered and I have a surgical date scheduled on the September 6, 2019...So why am I scared shittless to go thru with it? Anyone else have this dread that it wasn’t gonna work out?
58 y/o PCA 18 on March 2017. Biopsy 8.6 Gleason. Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer June 2017. Robotic Prostectomy Aug 2017. .02 at Follow ups so far. Implanted on 9/6/19 with AMS 700 CX 21+2 RTE's by Dr.Dean Knoll Urology Associates Nashville, TN.

Lost Sheep

Re: Finally Got a Surgical Date...and I’m scared to death!

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:29 pm

My situation told me that no matter how bad the outcome (short of death), I would be better off with the implant than without.

I just posted in another thread that my penis was good only for two things. I could achieve a flaccid orgasm (fellatio or masturbation) and I could pee standing up.

Peeing standing up is nice, especially when backpacking or in a really nasty outhouse/toilet. Compromised sexual relations was livable. But wanted more out of (the rest of my) life.

Think of the worst case scenario and realize that has a probability of, what 1% or 0.1%. Think of the best case scenario and consider that has a probability of 80-95%. Mediocre improvement a probability of 5-15%.

Keep looking on the positive side. You made the decision. Now, run with it. The post-op pain is temporary. The post-op joy a long, long time.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:My situation told me that no matter how bad the outcome (short of death), I would be better off with the implant than without.

I just posted in another thread that my penis was good only for two things. I could achieve a flaccid orgasm (fellatio or masturbation) and I could pee standing up.

Peeing standing up is nice, especially when backpacking or in a really nasty outhouse/toilet. Compromised sexual relations was livable. But wanted more out of (the rest of my) life.

Think of the worst case scenario and realize that has a probability of, what 1% or 0.1%. Think of the best case scenario and consider that has a probability of 80-95%. Mediocre improvement a probability of 5-15%.

Keep looking on the positive side. You made the decision. Now, run with it. The post-op pain is temporary. The post-op joy a long, long time.

As usual, Lost Sheep is right on the money.

If you're not a bit scared about this surgery, you're not thinking straight. It is a frightening idea, but really, the odds are so much in your favor that the outcome will be somewhere between very good and excellent. Is it the same as my 20 year old dick was? No. Is it way better than my limp dick of two years ago? Hell yes.

The improvement in my mental and emotional well being has been amazing. Oh, and then there's that thing about being able to make love whenever, wherever, for as long as desired. That's almost like a side benefit.

You'll be fine. Today is the 2 year anniversary of becoming bionic, and I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:07 pm

I think that that the fear of infection is perhaps a bit over blown. Dr. Karpman told me personally that he has only had 2 cases of infection. He said that he installs around 100 of either brand per year. So take your best guess at his total implant surgeries. It's my feeling that the higher volume surgeons have figured out a process that works pretty darn good.
As always ymmv.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Droopy

Postby Droopy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Dr Knoll did mine back in March. I was apprehensive but every thing went well. I had very little pain and I was getting around real well after about three days. As others have remarked getting the catheter and drains removed was unpleasant as was the early urination. The most difficult part for me was the two hour trip home. It wasn't pain or any aspect of the surgery, it was just my wife's driving.
67 years old, diabetic, implanted 03/21/19 ams lgx, Dr Knoll Nashville Tn.

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:25 pm

I was in the same boat as Lost Sheep.
What did I really have to lose?

To show how determined I was, I only knew of one FT bro who had my surgeon.
He got an infection and almost died.
I think he was Chandler man?
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

chonky

Postby chonky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 pm

I agonized over this for years and made myself miserable. 4 mo. in and having a great time.
65 Periodic ED since 20's due to venous leakage. Pills stopped working . Implanted 3/2012 removed 6/2012 in a"WTF Moment" after several complications. Re-implanted 4/5/19 AMS 700CX

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:39 pm

chonky wrote:I agonized over this for years and made myself miserable. 4 mo. in and having a great time.

There's a great testimonial. Thanks for posting.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

David_R

Postby David_R » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:42 pm

I think it's a little bit scary at least to think about a doctor cutting open your groin area and sticking something up inside your penis. But we implanted brothers can tell you that it certainly made life better for us. :D

Return to “Implants”