Venous Leak theory

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
moet78

Venous Leak theory

Postby moet78 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:54 am

Ok, so I am a bit puzzled at the moment. Went to a urologist yesterday to have a discussion with him about the possibility of having an implant (My ED started a little over 5 years, pills have been working fewer times these past year). I explained to him that I had never in fact done any test to confirm if I had a VL, and I wanted to do the test to confirm if I could be suffering form VL or not. To my astonishment, he claimed that the VL theory is an old school theory that doesn't really exist. And that the latest trend, studies and researches done recently have questioned that VL theory being a valid one and that VL has been dismissed following these new researches and studies.I have just joined this site not too long ago and have read that a lot of you suffer from VL before undergoing an implant surgery. Can you please give me your point of view on this claim made by the urologist? How did you get diagnosed with VL? What is the standard test you have done before confirming VL diagnosis?

Thanks

vajim1

Re: Venous Leak theory

Postby vajim1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 am

Good question, I asked my Doctor about it and he said the Va does not check for VL because if you have it the fix is the same , pills , shots or implant. so here I am about to get an implant. The test for it is an ultra sound. Jim
76 year old fart. Prostate removed Oct. 9, 2017,Psa 30 days after .15 next Psa .2. 37 Radiation treatments for recurrent cancer, 1 year out Psa .033 ZERO ERECTIONS, implanted Sept 5 2019 Dr. Lentz Duke Raleigh N.C. Titan 22cm.

moet78

Postby moet78 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am

Hi vajim...didnt really understand your reply...what is "Va"? From what I am aware of, the test for it is called Doppler but not sure...

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:47 am

Doppler ultrasound or a cavernosemetry test will check for leaks. One study I saw did say it it more accurate if done a couple times especially I think it said if you were below 40.

There were some false positives with using dup, so y ou have to use in conjunction with a patient history. Lots of things can cause temporary ed. That is what has to be ruled out.

If you have peyronies. That is a whole different issue along with accidents.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:55 am

moet78 wrote:Hi vajim...didnt really understand your reply...what is "Va"? From what I am aware of, the test for it is called Doppler but not sure...

V.A. is the common abbreviation for Veteran's Administration. It is for United States of America's military veterans.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm

The term "Venous Leak" may be a little misleading, I think. Any leakage of the pressure that is supposed to inflate the tunica albuginea (and its interior tissue, Corpus Cavernosum) lets a man's erection collapse. The pressure is supposed to keep the penis erect and rigid, but if a leak occurs, the penis' erection tends to weaken, reduce and collapse.

The leak (I think) does not have to be by veins. It could be a leak in the tunica. It could be backflow in the artery. There are mechanisms that are supposed to keep the pressure in the tunica. If any of those mechanisms fail (or leak) the erection weakens. It does not have to be venous, but that is the popular term. Perhaps it is outdated, but it has stuck.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm

I never bothered getting the diagnosis, but when pills failed, I went to injections. When they failed, it was time for an implant. I guess a diagnosis would be meaningless.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

FMLFML85

deleted

Postby FMLFML85 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:39 pm

deleted
Last edited by FMLFML85 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Blood leaks out of the penis exist and can cause ED. No matter what the terminology.

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 pm

I think to, some are not ready for an implant and that is totally fine. One big decision. And permanent. If you have a test that says you have a major leak and do not accept it see another doctor. You have to do what you need to in order to live with this implant choice.

If you have gone down every path and no hard erection something is wrong and then it is hard decision time or live with non penetrative sex options.

Studies are all subject to faults but most men give a positive rating after a one year period. Percentages are out there. Just google them.

The vast majority of negative comments occur right after surgery, and the months directly after that. Mostly expectations. A lot will post they should not have been so negative. Actual term used was whiny. But we all deal with pain differently. So if you are in pain you can whine some i guess.

I always hope for best, plan for worse. Planned on being cut open, sore, swollen, pain for weeks, excruciating pain when pumping up, potential infection risk, having to wear depends if something happened the doc did something wrong, catheter longer than one day potentially. All kinds of things I read about on here. I still chose the implant.

I got none of that. Very little pain, swelling for about week in my fat pad. My worst 3 days was when doc at week 2 deflated me and I had a sticky deflate button. Started inflating and could not deflate. I kept pushing wrong part of pump. One nice thing about only 3 hours to my doc. Drove up, showed me I was pushing in wrong place. Deflated, inflated a couple times there. Been using it ever sense. His words were go have fun.

Back to venous leak. I knew I had an issue. Pills worked but only got me almost hard but would not stay that way. The couple of times I was injected it took multiple injections to get an erection. It did not last like most you read about. Went down pretty fast.

Doc did doppler ultrasound and said with the leak I had, my realistic option was the implant. The peyronies and plaque was just the final straw. I did not get a second test because i did not feel like i needed it, but you can bet i would have if I had felt uncomfortable with it. My surgeon was the 4th I saw because of my lack of confidence in the others.

My first 3 never mentioned a doppler. 1 and 2 never touched me. 3 injected me. Those 3 just said with peyronies and the plaque, when do I want to schedule my titan implant. I actually wanted the doppler to see if I was leaking. Never mentioned it to 4 he just said it was a procedure he does as part of his testing procedure and scheduled it.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Return to “Implants”