Difficulty using the implant pump

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
markposner

Difficulty using the implant pump

Postby markposner » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 pm

Had the surgery over 6 weeks ago, AMS 700 implant
Saw my urologist 2 days ago, he showed me how to use it
But I have a very hard time squeezing the pump, its very hard to squeeze it
The Doctor squeezed but didnt get a full erection, got the feeling he was trying to dismiss me
been trying for the last 2 days, and with little luck, it hurts so much when i try to squeeze the pump, that I have to take pain killers and now it hurts again just sitting down.
Should the pump be so hard to squeeze? or is there a mechanical problem blocking the pathway?
Read somewhere that initially the pump is hard, but this situation seems beyond that
I keep also trying to release the valve by pressing the button to empty the penis and retry
but still too hard to squeeze
Any insights tips and suggestions will be welcome

tomas1

Re: Difficulty using the implant pump

Postby tomas1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm

I can only say that the AMS pump is very hard at first.
I've heard that in a very hot bath, it can soften up.
Mine eventually softened enough to use it satisfactorily.

I'm lucky to have no pain when I squeeze my pump.

It'll get easier, believe me.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

chonky

Postby chonky » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Mine was the same way. After 3 mo. it's much easier.
65 Periodic ED since 20's due to venous leakage. Pills stopped working . Implanted 3/2012 removed 6/2012 in a"WTF Moment" after several complications. Re-implanted 4/5/19 AMS 700CX

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:15 pm

I have titan pump. Really hard at first but it is easy at 4months. Hot baths helped.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

markposner

Postby markposner » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Just wanted to add that I am glad I got the surgery, 67 years old, divorced got ED due to type 2 Diabetes
But my Libido is that of a 20 Y/O .been avoiding relationships for years, didnt want any lady to pity me
Was usind ED medication till it wasnt effective any more.
Then tried this new electrical pulse therapy to regenerate lost nerve endings, didnt help either.
Wanted to do the surgery over 2 years ago, but because of suspected prostate cancer, my Urologist didnt agree to do the implant
Only after a special Biopsy procedure (took over a year of waiting for it) he determined it was a minor problem , he agreed to do the surgery
As painful as the whole recovery was and still is, I am so glad we have this option
However long it takes me to use the pump properly I am in it for the duration
When the Doc did the partial inflation and I felt it getting hard , I knew I did the right thing with the implant.
For me being alone for so long (years) sucks, miss the feeling of loving and being loved, both emotionally and physically
Now thank God, I will not only be able to enjoy sex but to be able to please and satisfy my partner
And have the confidence to enter into a relationship
As for the size short or not, Most important is being able to get an erection and be able to perform in bed
I was always average in length but girth was above average. Girth now seems good, and like most people and studies show that in time it gets longer at least to what it used to be.
Now all I need is to get used to using the pump and start enjoying life again!

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:53 pm

I have the AMS. The pump was very hard at first. When my doctor first inflated it at activation (on day 8 after surgery) I almost went through the roof. He told me to make sure I got in a tub of hot water to inflate as much as possible, and he was right. It both softens the pump and loosens everything in the sack so you can feel the parts better.

At a year out, I have no trouble inflating anywhere. Pump is not stiff anymore, though still takes some pressure to push. The other thing you find when the pump is really hard and as you are starting out, is that your scrotal skin gets pretty sore from all the pinching. I move the pump around to different spots in my scrotum so that I'm not pinching the same spot every time.

Other than hot water, the thing that helped me the most was finding the right way to grip and squeeze. It helps to hold the pump with the fingers of my left hand on the tubes coming out of the block at the top of the pump. Then my right hand squeezes the pump bulb between the middle knuckle of my first finger and my thumb. Once I start getting it full, the pressure has to increase to keep inflating, and I start squeezing between the tips of my first two fingers and the base of my thumb. I am able to apply more pressure that way.

If you want to talk with someone who has an AMS, send me a PM.

Good luck and I hope it works great for you!

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

markposner

Postby markposner » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks for the insight and the tips.
I am starting to get the hang of it, will try soaking in a warm bath
Also like the tip to move the pump around so not to hurt the same part of the scrotum
Saw my urologist again, wanted to check with him what the max inflation can be
after he inflated it points low not straight forward, but it is pretty stiff, so i guess thats OK
Asked also if I can keep it inflated for a few hours,
Is there any problem I should be aware about keeping it pumped full for hours?
I hear pumping it for a period every day will eventually extend the penis to at least what it used to be in length originally
Also the scrotum skin burns, any sav cream or spray with numbing effect that you can recommend?
I cant wait to try it, maybe sooner than I expected

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Glad to hear you're making progress. I'm not a doctor, and you should make sure you clear anything any of us says with your doc.

Try a bath as hot as you can stand it, not just warm. It should soften the pump and, btw, it feels really good. My doctor let me start hot baths on the 3rd day. You might want to check with your doctor to make sure it's ok. Some guys are told to wait for a while, making sure the incision is healed before using a tub.

I've had my implant inflated for over 8 hours. Went to bed with it up on purpose. Was a little uncomfortable, and you definitely couldn't sleep on your stomach - the implant works like a kick stand to keep you from rolling over. :) I haven't heard of any problem with staying inflated longer.

FWIW, my doctor told me to pump up 4 times a day, for at least a half hour each time. He said it would increase size the best. It's hard to remember to do it that often and other things get in the way, but it seems to be working for me.

Another good thing he told me was to inflate to maximum, wait 5 minutes, then try again. Then do the same again, a few times during the half hour inflate. Every time I do that I can pump more in, and getting to the maximum size you can seems important. It's certainly the best way to achieve growth, according to my doctor. I've heard here that it also helps to play with your dick a little during that wait time, moving it around some, and then adding some more pumps, so I do that as well, when I remember.

For the skin burns, on both the scrotum and the penis, I used a couple different things. Your skin is abraded and just needs a little help. You can find Aquaphor ointment in the cosmetic section of most any drug store/super store. There's a cheaper knock-off version, as well. It works pretty well for healing abrasions and worked fine on my man parts. It's a little thick, so I found a lotion that seems to help as well. Here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188 ... UTF8&psc=1
I like the feel of that lotion both during application and afterward.

Hope that helps. You're gonna love the new you.

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:48 pm

I also used (mens cream). It is soothing to your skin. Still pretty tender down there at 6 weeks as I remember. The release button on mine is still kind of hard. I don't go gently. I jamb my thumb into it. I used a 106 degree hot tub twice a day to soften mine up. Doc said to pump with fingers closer to the valve block. Prevents slipping off. Hold tubed with left had. I keep mine hard at night quite often at about 15 pumps (35 is max). mine points up nicely so no problem on my stomach.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

markposner

Postby markposner » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:25 pm

2nd day of Hell!
Yesterday my urologist was telling me how easy it was to use the pump and showed me
And it worked for him, I got hard (80%) but it hurt so much I made him stop
Actually later felt good cause I had an ongoing hard on 1st time in years. Stayed away from relationships out of embarrassment and so on
You guys now what I mean
So I was hard and didnt hurt to keep it like that, (Doctor said it was no problem)
However wanted to deflate and pump with my own hands.
And there I got so frustrated! COULDNT press squeeze the pump it was hard as a rock
Not only was I frustrated, because I had set a tentative and hoped to test myself
But tried and tried, Pain was getting excruciating in the testi and on the skin
Got to the point of super anxiety and frustration, because of the Diabetes started feeling weak
And of course overcompensating by binge eating to the point of no restraint eating sweets breads and other stuff which I have been avoiding, adhering to a good diet that kept my glucose levels in check.
Then started taking more pain killers cause it hurt so much

Now, I am a technical person. Felt something was wrong, HOW can it be so hard to press the pump? doesnt make sense
With all the tips (and thanks guys!) I decided to take a hot bath
NOTHING! even in the bath the pump was hard as a rock wouldnt budge
My 1st thought was that the VALVE WAS STUCK
So I tried releasing by pressing on the valve trying to release it
BUT NOTHING DOING. Again because of lack of experience couldnt figure out what the problem was

JUST NOW after avoiding dealing with since last night it and letting my body rest
Tried again Pressed so hard, Then I heard and felt a POPPING sound/motion
EUREKA!!! the VALVE WAS STUCK! NOW UNSTUCK!
Now I was able to press the pump and getting the penis hard.
Wow hopefully i figured out the problem. THE VALVE WAS STUCK
HOW do I overcome that problem?
Does it always get stuck after releasing the valve button?

Return to “Implants”