Implant??

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Oldfart1

Implant??

Postby Oldfart1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:16 pm

I'm new here. Second time posting. I just posted this question on the discussion board and thought maybe I should also post here as well. First Dr. visit next Tuesday in Tallahassee Fl. with Dr. Kenneth Delay. Dr. Delay is a Coloplast Center of Excellence facility. My local Uro thinks my next step should be an implant.Does any member have knowledge or have been Dr. Delay's patient? Thanking all in advance
Age 67, 5'7," 227# Enlarged prostate, BP meds, Thyroid meds. ED for many years. Possibly due to injury.

SW0110

Re: Implant??

Postby SW0110 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Anyone who reads my posts know I am all in for the implant. Negative reviews are like everything else. Most people who have positive reviews you never hear from. Take the negative stuff with a grain of salt. Read it, look at it, and determine whether it might be something you might deal with if you have their history.

Could be all kinds of reasons someone had a tougher time. Age, health issues, medical problems, you name it. I had peyronies, dents, venous leak, an implant was my only viable option period.

Went to 4 urologist surgeons. My 4t was also a center of excellence coloplast center. That did not sway me. I scheduled an appt. Paid for it and had a long conversation with him. He does only around 75 a year but I got a comfort level talking to him and his staff.

Very happy with my titan. Fyi, the only thing all 4 surgeons agreed on was I needed a titan to fix all my issues. Will say these titan cylinders are noticeable by feel but they give me a hard erection. No dents, and not even as much a curve as I had before any ed issues surfaced.

My otr works fine. I push it my erection goes down. I can squeeze to get it down more but usually do not. Looks about my old normal. Totally happy

Talk to your surgeon. See how he does procedure. Mine kept me on iv antibiotics for almost 3 hours before I went to or just to make sure I had them in my blood. There were also 3 different types to cover all the bases. Scrotal incision which I preferred. Would use rtes but tried not to unless needed for your body.

Lots to think about and research but once done, get the implant forget about pills injections etc.

Implant works.done.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Oldfart1

Postby Oldfart1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks swo110. I've done extensive research and am convinced that implant is definitely in my future. Have a number of questions for the doc before moving forward. Could do the procedure locally, but, this area and our hospitals and surgical centers are all recovering from hurricane Michael. It'll be years before we're back to pre-hurricane standards. I don't have the luxury of closing my shop to travel post hurricane. My health seems to be better than most men my age (I hope). Tallahassee is 2 hours away and have a number of surgeons. Dr. Delay has been on my radar for a while. So far, he tops the list of surgeons within comfortable driving distance especially for follow ups. The one negative review doesn't bother me. I'm in business. Try as I might, I can't please everybody. But I do my best. That's all I can do. Same for him, I'm sure. Your encouragement is comforting and your thought processes concerning the choice of Doc's are in line with mine.Thanks again
Age 67, 5'7," 227# Enlarged prostate, BP meds, Thyroid meds. ED for many years. Possibly due to injury.

Happy Toy

Postby Happy Toy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:07 pm

I have a Coloplast installed a year ago by Kaiser here in San Diego, LOVE it, have had NO problems. The only problem that I do have is that I can't stop playing with my dick! Love my flaccid size now and when I pump it up, which is every day, it is as hard as a rock. If you have any questions or concerns, please PM me, I am on the site just about every day.
Andy
Implanted 6/26/2018, Coloplast Titan 20cm, no RTE'S, infra pubic, Dr. Rhee, Kaiser :o 8-) 79yrs., married 56 yrs. ED for over 20 yrs.

Magicmike

Postby Magicmike » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 am

20cm Titan. How much lenght does that give u because I was told 6cm are in your scrowdom

Happy Toy

Postby Happy Toy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 am

Magicmike wrote:20cm Titan. How much lenght does that give u because I was told 6cm are in your scrowdom

I did not loose any length from what I have always had, 5.5" with a 5.5" girth. I did have a 6.5" girth from using Trimix injections for 12+ years but lost that girth with my implant. What I really gained with the implant is a nice flaccid size of about 4" from less then an inch pre-implant, love that!
Andy
Implanted 6/26/2018, Coloplast Titan 20cm, no RTE'S, infra pubic, Dr. Rhee, Kaiser :o 8-) 79yrs., married 56 yrs. ED for over 20 yrs.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Magicmike wrote:20cm Titan. How much lenght does that give u because I was told 6cm are in your scrowdom

The "internal" portion of the implant is not in your scrotum. It is down in the pelvic crus (the bone structure inside you).

Generally, about one-third of the implant is "inside" you and two-thirds are inside the portion of the penis that it "outside" you. But men have different dimensions. Some have deeper cruses that others, some shallower.

Your surgeon will measure the inside of your tunica albuginea DURING the surgery. There is no other measurement that matters. They are all estimates.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Magicmike

Postby Magicmike » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm

New on the site and I have read numerous post about implants. Most post are very positive. Can anyone tell me the downside of having an implant. I have peyronies and tried everything available with no luck. I can see myself having to get one but I am still not committed because I guess I haven't seen any post on the negative side of an implant. I'm from Louisiana but will travel to New York are Baltimore to have mine done depending on what doctor that I choose so I'm open to anyone that can give me the downside of an implant

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:29 pm

By the way, welcome to the forum, Magicmike.
Magicmike wrote:New on the site and I have read numerous post about implants. Most post are very positive. Can anyone tell me the downside of having an implant. I have peyronies and tried everything available with no luck. I can see myself having to get one but I am still not committed because I guess I haven't seen any post on the negative side of an implant. I'm from Louisiana but will travel to New York are Baltimore to have mine done depending on what doctor that I choose so I'm open to anyone that can give me the downside of an implant

I know of very few downsides to an implant which are not associated directly with the surgery. Infection, surgical accident, poor fit of the implant. If the surgery and post-op recovery went well there are very few downsides. Of course, this presupposes that the implant was a good idea in the first place- that is, it was the only remaining option.

After a successful and proper implantation, here are (my list of) known downsides.

(Outside of permanent nerve damage - eliminated from my list because I presupposed a good surgery) Temporary loss of sensation because your tissues have been traumatized is possible. Maybe even probable. A moderate percentage of men experience this. But it generally resolves in months. Some men report delayed orgasms or even anorgasmia. For me, delayed orgasm is a blessing. I can keep up with my partner's orgasms better if I have not had mine. The drop in my energy level after I climax slows me down.

You will never ever again have a natural erection. Even if an actual CURE for impotence is found (After all, implant is only a treatment, not a cure any more than a prosthetic leg is a cure for the loss of a leg.) Implanting the device permanently compromises/removes/destroys the essential erectile tissues inside your tunica albuginea - the corpus cavernosum. This closes off any possibility that you will be independent of the implant for coitus.

The implant will likely fail after a time, as any mechanical device can. This will require replacement (another operation)

You will always have to pump up your penis to have sex. This is inconvenient or problematic, depending on your attitude and if you want to keep the implant a secret from your sexual partner or not. No more spontaneous erections. Your partner will not have the ratification provided by your penis responding all by itself. This troubles some people, as in, "Am I not sexually desirable enough for him?"

Stowage for some men is problematic, especially those men who prior to implantation had compact genitalia. They have to learn to choose their wardrobe so their (now larger than they had in the past) flaccid penis be embarrassingly apparent. Men who had fuller flaccid penises find this less of a transition. The difference between men who were "Growers" vs "Showers".

Maintenance of the implant is, for some, a chore. Periodic inflation to maintain elasticity of penile tissues is a ritual many men perform, particularly during the first year or two after implantation. Daily inflation for 15 minutes to an hour. Some find it onerous. Some eschew the practice. Others find it not difficult at all - even enjoyable.

None of these were significant in my decision. As I have said before, implant is the option when there is no other acceptable solution.

Note: You can travel to have one of the two surgeons mentioned most here if you like. But having a local surgeon who will do followup is really nice and the return trip home after surgery is not a fun ride. Check out local surgeons. As my chosen surgeon told me, "You will be overflying a lot of good surgeons if you go to Maryland." Dr. Eid wrote to me, "Find a surgeon in love with his craft." Such a surgeon will put the welfare of his patient ahead of all other considerations and is invested in the best outcome. Fame and outcomes are related, but not intrinsically. Lesser-known but equally skilled surgeons are out there.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm

I always swore that an implant would be my last resort.
Starting around 20 years ago I used all the usual pills.

They stopped working abruptly about 8 years ago and my uro suggested an implant.
I figured he wanted to make $ from a surgery so I insisted on injecting.

I actually functioned better on injections than pills.

Eventually, injections stopped working even in the highest formulas and it was time for the implant.

The erections aren't as good as with injections, but it's where I am.
The other day I told my wife that we could have had fun with this when we were younger.
She said I should have done it before even using pills.

I don't think I would have jumped into getting implanted out-of-pocket before Medicare though.
I guess Peyronies throws a new wrinkle into the equation though.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Return to “Implants”