Realistic Size Expectations

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
gene308

Re: Realistic Size Expectations

Postby gene308 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Ididnt measure the day after surgery. I measured 2 weeks later when I was cleared to and trained to use the pump
Gene308 married 43 years AMS 700 CX 21cm+2cm Implanted 10/04/2018 Dr James Hotaling (surgeon) and Mariah McCafferty, (Surgical Nurse and AMS rep) , University of Utah

Lost Sheep

Re: Realistic Size Expectations: My Measuring Methodology

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:46 pm

The comparison between pre-op and 1 day after surgery is not so revealing. Swelling and degree of inflation would certainly change the dimensions.

Measure girth at mid-shaft as well as length from distal tip of meatus to the pubic bone (pubic fat pad compressed as much as possible) immediately above the penis. NOT around the curve of the glans, but just straight.

The ideal set of measurements would be three (or four):

1) Back when erections were robust, before any hint of E.D. Probably decades ago for most of us.

2) Immediately pre-op (erection obtained by any means necessary, injection, suppository, pills, extreme stimulation - note that erection inside a V.E.D. is likely to be significantly larger than what could be obtained by any other means)

2a) Measured in the so-called "flaccid stretch" method (particularly if immediate pre-op erection is unobtainable).

3) A month or so after implant, after swelling has gone down and inflation to 100% is possible. Even so, a year or more post-op there may be more change that one might wish to monitor.

In this way, valid comparisons may be made for any given man at different times of his life as well as meaningful comparisons with other men.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

St1pan2019

Postby St1pan2019 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 am

Lost Sheep wrote:The comparison between pre-op and 1 day after surgery is not so revealing. Swelling and degree of inflation would certainly change the dimensions.

Measure girth at mid-shaft as well as length from distal tip of meatus to the pubic bone (pubic fat pad compressed as much as possible) immediately above the penis. NOT around the curve of the glans, but just straight.

The ideal set of measurements would be three (or four):

1) Back when erections were robust, before any hint of E.D. Probably decades ago for most of us.

2) Immediately pre-op (erection obtained by any means necessary, injection, suppository, pills, extreme stimulation - note that erection inside a V.E.D. is likely to be significantly larger than what could be obtained by any other means)

2a) Measured in the so-called "flaccid stretch" method (particularly if immediate pre-op erection is unobtainable).

3) A month or so after implant, after swelling has gone down and inflation to 100% is possible. Even so, a year or more post-op there may be more change that one might wish to monitor.

In this way, valid comparisons may be made for any given man at different times of his life as well as meaningful comparisons with other men.

Thanks Lost Sheep... great points. I currently can only go off of point 2a as I can no longer obtain an erection unless I use a VED and tension bands. Going back to pre ED days of hard erections in my 20’s I was in the same range as my current stretch (I think.. but it’s been awhile). As for girth I have no idea as the VED is all I have to work with. These are definitely things I will discuss with my Uro when I see him.
40 yrs old, ED from Scleroderma since 2010, married since 2004, was using VED/rings for sex as injections/pills didn't work, Also on Testosterone injection therapy
Implanted 1/9/2020
Dr. Eid, Titan Touch 20+1cm rte
Reside in Ontario, Canada

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 pm

Measuring is so subjective. I tried measuring x fingers wide but that did not work.I couldn't stretch my dick out with my feet so I could use the fingers on both hands. Then I tried measuring using the mile markers on the interstate but I couldn't keep up. Some $#it is just tough. Cheers
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Ali,
Good thing Milam made you shorter probably saved your life you still need some blood in the rest of your body :lol:
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm

alibaba wrote:Measuring is so subjective. I tried measuring x fingers wide but that did not work.I couldn't stretch my dick out with my feet so I could use the fingers on both hands. Then I tried measuring using the mile markers on the interstate but I couldn't keep up. Some $#it is just tough. Cheers

:D :D :D :D :D

I can always count on you for a chuckle. :D

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

St1pan2019 wrote:Thanks Lost Sheep... great points. I currently can only go off of point 2a as I can no longer obtain an erection unless I use a VED and tension bands. Going back to pre ED days of hard erections in my 20’s I was in the same range as my current stretch (I think.. but it’s been awhile). As for girth I have no idea as the VED is all I have to work with. These are definitely things I will discuss with my Uro when I see him.

You are most welcome, St1pan2019.

I used a V.E.D. for quite a while before my implant operation, not for sex, but for pre-op therapy. Two protocols I followed promised to maintain penile tissue health (flushing oxygenated blood through the tissues) and restoring or maintaining tissue elasticity and size. There is also anecdotal evidence that V.E.D. use for a couple months before surgery makes insertion of the implant easier for the surgeon and thus less bruising for the patient and easier recovery.

I recommend it.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

St1pan2019

Postby St1pan2019 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Lost Sheep... how frequently and for what duration did you use the VED prior to surgery? Once per day? I was under the impression you shouldn’t use it for more than 20 minutes per session. Not sure where I got that number from but let me know what you did in terms of length of time and how frequent. What is recommended to gain those advantages you mentioned? If it helps preserve and gives me an advantage in healing time I will definitely do it for those reasons as well!
40 yrs old, ED from Scleroderma since 2010, married since 2004, was using VED/rings for sex as injections/pills didn't work, Also on Testosterone injection therapy
Implanted 1/9/2020
Dr. Eid, Titan Touch 20+1cm rte
Reside in Ontario, Canada

Gt1956

Postby Gt1956 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm

My worthless advice. The 20 minute rule is the limit for the use of a constriction band. The penis needs fresh blood after a period of being denied fresh blood. Basically, a band is how they castrate sheep. You don't want your penis to die & fall off. Kind of defeats the whole process.
68yo, HBP at 40, high triglycerides at 45. Phimosis at 57. Type 2 at 60. Dr. William Brant May 1, 2023 CX 21cm w/no rte's penoscrotal 6" girth @ 6 months

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 pm

St1pan2019 wrote:Lost Sheep... how frequently and for what duration did you use the VED prior to surgery? Once per day? I was under the impression you shouldn’t use it for more than 20 minutes per session. Not sure where I got that number from but let me know what you did in terms of length of time and how frequent. What is recommended to gain those advantages you mentioned? If it helps preserve and gives me an advantage in healing time I will definitely do it for those reasons as well!

I confirm, Gt1956 is correct. But I THINK the band goes around the scrotum rather than the penis. Same procedure is used on lamb;s tails, too, I am told by a gal who spent some time living with a sheep-ranching family.

The protocols I used did not use the constriction band at all.

The pre-op protocol of pumping to stretch elasticity suggested by the article (the duration in minutes and in months are in the article)
Vacuum Preparation, Optimization of Cylinder Length and Postoperative Daily Inflation Reduces Complaints of Shortened Penile Length Following Implantation of Inflatable Penile Prosthesis by Tom Sellers, Martin Dineen, Emad A. Salem, Steven K. Wilson:  Advances in Sexual Medicine, 2013, 3, 14-18doi:10.4236/asm.2013.31003 Published Online January 2013
http://file.scirp.org/pdf/ASM_2013012514045982.pdf

This link gets to a summary/abstract of the article
http://file.scirp.org/Html/3-1990021_27133.htm

and another one one focused on oxygenating tissues by repetitive one-minute inflations for 10-20 minutes if I recall correctly. I do not have the link handy. 

DO NOT OVER-PUMP. At the least you will induce edema that will require you to lay off for a few days. At worst you could do permanent damage.

Abstract of an interesting article: Is the daily use of vacuum erection device for a month before penile prosthesis implantation beneficial? a randomized controlled trial.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27654466

Another abstract of "A pilot study to determine penile oxygen saturation before and after vacuum therapy in patients with erectile dysfunction after radical prostatectomy."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24506138
If anyone has a link that gets to the full article, please post or send to me by PM
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Return to “Implants”