Implant uro visit (12 per year) 24 year old

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
David_R

Re: Implant uro visit (12 per year) 24 year old

Postby David_R » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:05 pm

I totally agree, Lost Sheep.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 am

Lost Sheep wrote:
Aemill wrote:Hi,

I have tried pretty much every avalible treatment for ED and I have set my mind on an implant. The implant uro I am meeting does just 12 operations per year so I want to ask him a few questions. What do you think are the best to ask to test his competence?

Infection rate
Other complications
Penile length loss
Use of RTE
Price of operation

Get testimonials from former patients. To protect privacy, ask if your surgeon will give a few of his prior patients your contact information with a request that those prior patients contact you (f they are willing) to tell how their experience was. If the prior patients don't want to talk to you live, they could write a letter to you, give the letter to the surgeon for forwarding to you.

Ask how he decides the important decisions. Selecting the manufacturer and model of implant, how many rear tip extenders he uses and why, how he chooses the size of implant.

Of course, I am a highly involved patient. Some men prefer to let these questions completely up to the surgeon. I will not fault anyone for that decision. I prefer to be integrated into my medical care team. Call me a "Participatory Patient". Some surgeons do not like that. The surgeon I chose appreciated that. That is partly why I chose him.

I worked very close with doctors for 21 years and I don't know any of them that would appreciate their patients giving them the 3rd degree about everything. How he chooses the brand I think would be ok, but questioning him on how many RTE's etc. would be a bit much. I didn't go to med school for 4 years, followed by residency, followed by his speciality training, residency, etc. I chose a highly skilled, educated surgeon so I would not have to become a surgeon in order to understand every little detail. For those of you that do understand every detail, I say kudos to you BUT don't think badly of me because I don't. The bottom line is very simple… My penis disappeared inside me because of too many circumcisions. A urologist and a plastic surgeon mutilated me. Another urologist and plastic surgeon were phenomenal and did a great job fixing me. Now, I can be sexually active with my wife (or anybody) for as long as I live :)

Larry

David_R

Postby David_R » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:49 am

:)

Aemill

Postby Aemill » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:44 pm

So today I had the visit. They told me that it will not be covered definitely as some high profile insurance person tried to get it covered for himself and failed. He could not promise me post op length but told me there would be no shortening. He has done with his colleague about 90 operations in the last 4 years.

I am still unsure.

Either I pay it out of pocket in my country and it will be cheaper and easier with travelling and doing revisions but the surgeon will be less experienced.

Or I go to Germany where it will be 6000 Euro more expensive and more complicated with revisions. But the surgeon will be more experienced.
Born 1995, VL since 18, pills dont work, injections provide good 20 minute erection which hurts, implanted AMS CXR 14+6 due to fibrosis

Aemill

Postby Aemill » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 pm

I guess that I am going do it in my country. What brand would you recommend for young guy with normal penis I do not have much girth.
Born 1995, VL since 18, pills dont work, injections provide good 20 minute erection which hurts, implanted AMS CXR 14+6 due to fibrosis

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Aemill wrote:So today I had the visit. They told me that it will not be covered definitely as some high profile insurance person tried to get it covered for himself and failed. He could not promise me post op length but told me there would be no shortening. He has done with his colleague about 90 operations in the last 4 years.

I am still unsure.

Either I pay it out of pocket in my country and it will be cheaper and easier with travelling and doing revisions but the surgeon will be less experienced.

Or I go to Germany where it will be 6000 Euro more expensive and more complicated with revisions. But the surgeon will be more experienced.

You're guy seems pretty confident he can do it with no size loss. You have a normal size penis so I would recommend the AMS LGX.. LGX stands for length/girth expander... who knows what could happen. You should at least get back what you have lost while you have ED. :)

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Aemill wrote:So today I had the visit. They told me that it will not be covered definitely as some high profile insurance person tried to get it covered for himself and failed. He could not promise me post op length but told me there would be no shortening. He has done with his colleague about 90 operations in the last 4 years.

I am still unsure.

I had exactly the same choice. Local guy in Anchorage with a marginal number of implants per year, going to Seattle for a more experienced surgeon or going to Baltimore for Dr. Kramer.

I was rescued by having Dr. Shaw transferred to my local hospital, who was reputed to have a lot of experience.

After meeting with him, I had confidence that he was my man. He met Dr. Eid's recommendation, "Find a surgeon in love with his craft.", and actually LIKED that I was well-informed about the procedure and issues.

Dr. Shaw, when I told him I was considering travelling across the country to have Dr. Kramer do the surgery, told me, "You will be overflying a lot of good surgeons to get there."

If you have a good rapport with your local guy, averaging 2 per month is not high-volume, but if his SUCCESS RATE is high and you feel he will HAVE YOUR BEST INTERESTS AT HEART, he may be the best choice.

Note: I had no complicating factors other than Diabetes. No penile issues like scarring, etc.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Duberg88

Postby Duberg88 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:46 am

Hey guys

I’m a newbie here and just literally came across this haven of a website yesterday and can’t believe I haven’t came across it sooner!

I’m a 30 year old male who’s suffered from ED since I was 24 years old, it developed through being an type 1 diabetic from an early age and not having the best control in my teens etc.

Regrets Huh! Never mind but the good news is I’m actually away for penile implant surgery tomorrow morning so obviously a little bit nervous but also excited/ relieved as I’ll feel after my recovery time I’ll be able to get on with my life again :D

I’d be more than willing to speak to other folk who are thinking about going through with the implant as that’s the only thing I’ve found lacking through dealing with the nhs here is that I’ve never had the opportunity to speak to someone who has been through the same dilemma/ experiences I have and I reckon it would have helped massively

Cheers
30 year old single, ED problems since 24 years old. Away to get an implant fitted end of June. If anyone’s ever in the north east of Scotland, more than welcome to meet for a drink/ chat

Aemill

Postby Aemill » Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 am

From your language I assume you are from GB. Who is your surgeon?

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:58 am

Duberg88 wrote:Hey guys

I’m a newbie here and just literally came across this haven of a website yesterday and can’t believe I haven’t came across it sooner!

I’m a 30 year old male who’s suffered from ED since I was 24 years old, it developed through being an type 1 diabetic from an early age and not having the best control in my teens etc.

Regrets Huh! Never mind but the good news is I’m actually away for penile implant surgery tomorrow morning so obviously a little bit nervous but also excited/ relieved as I’ll feel after my recovery time I’ll be able to get on with my life again :D

I’d be more than willing to speak to other folk who are thinking about going through with the implant as that’s the only thing I’ve found lacking through dealing with the nhs here is that I’ve never had the opportunity to speak to someone who has been through the same dilemma/ experiences I have and I reckon it would have helped massively

Cheers

We all wish you well. Please keep us all posted on how things go. Consider posting before and after photos and remember to get the details of your implant (brand, size, RTE's), implant procedure ie: penoscrotal, etc. Also, remember to measure and record the measurements now and after your swelling goes down and you start cycling. To properly measure yourself, use a measuring tape (usually for sewing)… Place the tape on top of your penis and press it to the pelvic bone and read the measurement at the tip of the penis. Do this for flaccid and erect (obviously only if you can get an erection). Good luck tomorrow. :D

Larry

Return to “Implants”