AMS pump problems

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Larry10625

Re: AMS pump problems

Postby Larry10625 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:35 am

Gt1956 wrote:I think it was Dr. Kramer in a YouTube video. He said one of the reasons he preferred Titans was because they needed fewer revisions. Made sense to me. Hard to make money doing revisions for free or at a discount.

I doubt it was Dr. Kramer... he told me that 90% of his REVISION surgery was replacing the Titan with the AMS. :)

Larry

RJ1000

Postby RJ1000 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:10 am

I may be wrong however my understanding is that AMS has been in the implant business longer than Coloplast and most likely has a larger number of implanted devices in use.

If this is true (and again I could be wrong) then the number of AMS pump problems shown on PubMed could be higher simply due to the larger number of devices in service.

In order to be more accurate, the "pump problems" percentages would need to be weighed by the market share percentage of devices sold by each manufacturer.

It's been awhile since I've studied statistics so anyone good in math please feel free to respond!
Age 66. ED caused by Peyronie's with hourglass deformity 2016. Prostate Surgery 2017 and now cancer free. Implanted Jan/2019 by Dr. Kramer. AMS-700-CX (21.0 cm with 0.5 RTE).

Lunatech

Postby Lunatech » Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 am

alibaba wrote:Advanced search query:

Search found 158 matches: lgx pump problems +

Search found 281 matches: ams pump problems = 439 TOTAL or 63%

Search found 182 matches: titan pump problems +

Search found 97 matches: coloplast pump problems = 279 TOTAL or 37%

alibaba could you give us some more on these numbers. Did it come from searching this site or another and how did you calculate the percentages? I'm sure you did your research but there wasn't enough info given here to relay clearly what and how you found.
49 years old at time of implant, Suffering from ED 10+ years, Implant surgery 2/28/19 AMS 700 LGX 18cm with 4cm RTE by Dr. Terlecki at WFBMC in Winston Salem NC

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu May 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Lunatech wrote:
alibaba wrote:Advanced search query:

Search found 158 matches: lgx pump problems +

Search found 281 matches: ams pump problems = 439 TOTAL or 63%

Search found 182 matches: titan pump problems +

Search found 97 matches: coloplast pump problems = 279 TOTAL or 37%

alibaba could you give us some more on these numbers. Did it come from searching this site or another and how did you calculate the percentages? I'm sure you did your research but there wasn't enough info given here to relay clearly what and how you found.

And, of course, self-reported statistics are always skewed. They are a good basis from which to start, but population sampling MUST be blind to draw any really valid conclusions.

Does anyone have any Medical Journal articles on these? They are usually pretty well vetted.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

chonky

Postby chonky » Thu May 02, 2019 1:51 pm

I was at the Dr. for my 4 week post operation exam and was given the ok to use my CX. I am having great difficulty with the pump. It deflates easily but is almost impossible to inflate .It will let loose with some stiff resistance for the first squeeze but after that it is hard as a rock. Should I give up trying to inflate fully and work on trying to loosen it up by maybe just taking the one squeeze that it gives me deflating and repeating that pattern till I can work in additional squeezes ?
65 Periodic ED since 20's due to venous leakage. Pills stopped working . Implanted 3/2012 removed 6/2012 in a"WTF Moment" after several complications. Re-implanted 4/5/19 AMS 700CX

RJ1000

Postby RJ1000 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:59 pm

I just searched PubMed's peer reviewed medical journal database for IPP pump comparisons but did not find much.

There is one study comparing the Coloplast Genesis to the newer OTR pump but that is about all I could find that is somewhat relevant.

Below is the link to that paper:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20946169
Age 66. ED caused by Peyronie's with hourglass deformity 2016. Prostate Surgery 2017 and now cancer free. Implanted Jan/2019 by Dr. Kramer. AMS-700-CX (21.0 cm with 0.5 RTE).

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:31 pm

chonky wrote:I was at the Dr. for my 4 week post operation exam and was given the ok to use my CX. I am having great difficulty with the pump. It deflates easily but is almost impossible to inflate .It will let loose with some stiff resistance for the first squeeze but after that it is hard as a rock. Should I give up trying to inflate fully and work on trying to loosen it up by maybe just taking the one squeeze that it gives me deflating and repeating that pattern till I can work in additional squeezes ?

I've noticed almost the same thing.
The first squeeze is always my most free one. After that, the squeezes are a lot less free. They always do seem to add fluid to the cylinders though.

Still pretty early for both of us and maybe it'll become easier?
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:38 pm

RJ1000 wrote:I may be wrong however my understanding is that AMS has been in the implant business longer than Coloplast and most likely has a larger number of implanted devices in use.

If this is true (and again I could be wrong) then the number of AMS pump problems shown on PubMed could be higher simply due to the larger number of devices in service.

In order to be more accurate, the "pump problems" percentages would need to be weighed by the market share percentage of devices sold by each manufacturer.

It's been awhile since I've studied statistics so anyone good in math please feel free to respond!

Dr. Kramer, Dr. Perito and Dr. Brock all said between 74 and 75% and that would explain the pump problems... just a lot more of them out there. :)

Larry

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:41 pm

chonky wrote:I was at the Dr. for my 4 week post operation exam and was given the ok to use my CX. I am having great difficulty with the pump. It deflates easily but is almost impossible to inflate .It will let loose with some stiff resistance for the first squeeze but after that it is hard as a rock. Should I give up trying to inflate fully and work on trying to loosen it up by maybe just taking the one squeeze that it gives me deflating and repeating that pattern till I can work in additional squeezes ?

The trick is to get into a tub of water as hot as you can stand it, sit there for about ten minutes and then work on the pump. The pump is rubber/plastic and the hot water makes it softer and easier to pump. The more you pump it, the softer it gets and, eventually, it will be really easy to pump it up... when I say eventually, I don't mean months, I mean a few weeks of regular cycling. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. :)

Larry

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm

I'm just going to throw this out there. My first 4 months with the aMS pump were a nightmare. locked up each and every time. With my other problem and the pump too high for Ved i desperately flaccid stretched to keep my right tip at bay. Then I got a new pump. same problem locked up. a week later the ams rep showed me how to use it. I had been squeezing the end of the bulb not the center. Then i remembered that my doc never had the slightest problem with my first pump. bottom line i will show up as a pump problem bad pump but there was nothing wrong with it. so how many others are there? also revisions typically replace the pump. are they counted?
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

Return to “Implants”