What should take with me for surgery?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
andrew1959nj

What should take with me for surgery?

Postby andrew1959nj » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 pm

I finally have my surgery date scheduled for May. It will be performed in Hackensack hospital and I will be staying overnight. What should I take with me and what should I have at home for the first week?
60 years old. MS and Severe ED 10+ years. Pills and injections never worked well. Implanted 5/16/2019 by Dr. Sadeghi. Titan 20cm + 2cm RTE.

Lost Sheep

Re: What should take with me for surgery?

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Hopefully your surgeon would provide you a list or at least some verbal guidance.

Two things I found very useful were

the plastic urinal that I brought home from the hospital. Not only is is nice to have so you don't have to get out of bed to urinate, but since you are likely to be partially inflated for some time after the implant, peeing into a toilet is problematic. Peeing into the plastic urinal is a boon.

Many doctors suggest leaving your partially inflated penis pointed up and held against your belly. A jock strap (athletic supporter) was provided to me for this purpose. Get two, so you can rotate them through the laundry. Also, extra gauze so you can pad your tender and traumatized parts inside the supporter. Depending on how much swelling you have, your normal size might do, but a size smaller than you would normally use for athletic activities will provide the firm support you will appreciate.

A personal care attendant who loves you is always nice. But not your dog or cat. They have no boundaries and do not care where they jump on you.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 pm

I stayed overnight for observation. My wife went with with me. I wore a pair of sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, socks, jacket. My dl and insurance card. Thst was it. Not one thing more.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 pm

I was an out patient on all three implants. I just took some loose sweat pants for after surgery, and a top matching my sweats. When they let me go after I come out of the anesthesia they had a jock strap on me and a compress pad where the incision was made which was about two inches across, and my penis was partially pumped and wrapped with that tacky wrap they put on your arm when they draw blood.
My scrotum did bruise to where it was almost black, but by applying ice packs for about twenty minutes every four hours, it went back to its natural white color within seven days or so. My third revision was much easier. I guess I am used to it already and know what to expect. Actually what I worry more about because I am getting up in age is the anesthesia. But everything went smooth so far. I did deflate some, I just did not like going around with it pumped up. It was not much, but still I have coffee at a local place every morning and there are lots of ladies that go in there. :o So I just left like one pump on it. Feels great!
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 pm

while in the hospital you're pretty much naked except for your gown and I think they put supporters socks on your legs to prevent blood clots. When you leave wearing sweats is okay I also wear flip-flops underwear top and bottom and comfortable shorts instead of sweats topped off with a comfortable shirt or t-shirt. And of course don't forget to catheter. That's always fun.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

disapointed2

Postby disapointed2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 pm

I took some oversized sweat pants and coat. My medicines. Tennis shoes. Tooth brush. That is all I needed. Clean tight undies and jock strap. The nurses packed me up and sent me home at 6:00 a.m. good luck
67yrs old. ed for 8yrs. Implanted 5-29-2019

Return to “Implants”