Thoughts on the AMS Ambicor and Spectra

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Raider82

Thoughts on the AMS Ambicor and Spectra

Postby Raider82 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:45 pm

I've had a penile implant for 20+ years, first a semi-rigid (7 years) and now a 3-piece inflatable (13 years) (details in signature). The latter needs to be exchanged because of buckling, extrusion, migration and other issues making it unusable for sex.

I'm looking for a simpler narrower device because of scarring and other concerns. Does anyone have experience with either the AMS Ambicor 2-piece inflatable or their Spectra semi-rigid? And if so, was its comfort tolerable and concealment manageable? Was it rigid enough for sex? Was it dependable and durable?

After 20+ years, my main concern is having a low-tech simple-to-install and easy-to-use solution that I can count on for sex rather than trying to maximize size.

Thank you in advance....Cheers to all!

Lost Sheep

Re: Thoughts on the AMS Ambicor and Spectra

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Raider82 wrote:I've had a penile implant for 20+ years, first a semi-rigid (7 years) and now a 3-piece inflatable (13 years) (details in signature). The latter needs to be exchanged because of buckling, extrusion, migration and other issues making it unusable for sex.

I'm looking for a simpler narrower device because of scarring and other concerns. Does anyone have experience with either the AMS Ambicor 2-piece inflatable or their Spectra semi-rigid? And if so, was its comfort tolerable and concealment manageable? Was it rigid enough for sex? Was it dependable and durable?

After 20+ years, my main concern is having a low-tech simple-to-install and easy-to-use solution that I can count on for sex rather than trying to maximize size.

Both AMS/Boston Scientific and Coloplast have a narrow model 3-piece inflatable implant.

The one-piece malleable implant is, no doubt , easier to operate for sex, the fact that it is bendable may lessen its usefulness for vigorous sex. But the reliability is unmatched. The only reliability caveat I know of is that, since it never gets smaller, it stresses your tissues, particularly at the distal tips inside your glans. This creates the risk of "erosion". Erosion is the medical term for the tip of the implant compressing the tissues of your glans, lessening blood flow and eventually resulting in tissue death and the tips of the implant poking out the end of your penis. Ultimately, this results in amputation of the tip of your penis, removal of the implant (perhaps never to be replaced). You get the picture. Because of this, surgeons/urologists are extremely conservative about the size of the implant.

The two-piece, not having a sizable reservoir has fallen out of favor except for men who cannot accept a reservoir in their abdomen. The smaller reservoir of the two-piece restricts how much you can inflate the implant. That is, the difference between flaccid and erect sizes is limited.

The three-piece implant has thus been the standard and pretty much always used in the absence of disqualifying factors that force use of the two-piece or malleable devices.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
Raider82 wrote:I've had a penile implant for 20+ years, first a semi-rigid (7 years) and now a 3-piece inflatable (13 years) (details in signature). The latter needs to be exchanged because of buckling, extrusion, migration and other issues making it unusable for sex.

Both AMS/Boston Scientific and Coloplast have a narrow model 3-piece inflatable implant.

The one-piece malleable implant is, no doubt , easier to operate for sex, the fact that it is bendable may lessen its usefulness for vigorous sex. But the reliability is unmatched. The only reliability caveat I know of is that, since it never gets smaller, it stresses your tissues, particularly at the distal tips inside your glans. This creates the risk of "erosion". Erosion is the medical term for the tip of the implant compressing the tissues of your glans, lessening blood flow and eventually resulting in tissue death and the tips of the implant poking out the end of your penis. Ultimately, this results in amputation of the tip of your penis, removal of the implant (perhaps never to be replaced). You get the picture. Because of this, surgeons/urologists are extremely conservative about the size of the implant.

The two-piece, not having a sizable reservoir has fallen out of favor except for men who cannot accept a reservoir in their abdomen. The smaller reservoir of the two-piece restricts how much you can inflate the implant. That is, the difference between flaccid and erect sizes is limited.

The three-piece implant has thus been the standard and pretty much always used in the absence of disqualifying factors that force use of the two-piece or malleable devices.

Dr. Perito told me that in his opinion the malleable implant should be discontinued because it causes more problems than it fixes. :)

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Larry10625 wrote:Dr. Perito told me that in his opinion the malleable implant should be discontinued because it causes more problems than it fixes. :)

Larry

Dr. Perito's opinion notwithstanding, the malleable does have its place.

One of the most compelling reasons would be for a man unable to manipulate the pump of a 3-piece.

The surgeon must be skilled in its placement (not unlike the skills required for placement of a 3-piece). The techniques and caveats for the two different designs are substantially different. The surgeon has to watch out for completely different risk factors in sizing, for sure. If a surgeon is not used to implanting a malleable, his skills (FOR THAT DESIGN) may be rusty.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Mentor is now Coloplast. There have been design improvements since it was Mentor. Most of your issues sound to be related to the common aspects of a Coloplast (Mentor). Another thing is at 25CM total, you have a massive tool buddy! I am not sure that Boston Scientific (formerly AMS) even has anything for that foot long hot dog nor are the semi rigids but overall reading your issue description and despite it sounding like they would have to stack tip extenders from here to the moon to fit a B.S.implant in you, I think you may find that more comfortable. The B.S. implants are narrower based both deflated and inflated too so that would also help you meet your objectives. The ear problem is less of an issue with the B.S. though I have seen more guys report it lately than ever before. Makes me wonder if there has been a change I am not aware of. MANY reports and studies over the last 30 years show that 95% of all erosions were due to a rigid or semi rigid implant. They have virtually become an non issue with the inflatables. You know your body more than anyone. You live in it and at 75 year old you have had 657,000 hours experience with it. You also need to be able to trust the judgement of your doctor or maybe 2-3 opinions, but hopefully this will give you something to give some thought to. Just keep in mind your doc may be selling something and his 10 minutes with you is no relation to the lifetime experience you have with your own dick. Nobody here nor I can do any more than give an opinion looking from the outside at what info we have. Yes Larry, I actually suggested B.S. with Legos on the end. :shock: I may never recover from it. Cheers.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:14 am

alibaba wrote:Mentor is now Coloplast. There have been design improvements since it was Mentor. Most of your issues sound to be related to the common aspects of a Coloplast (Mentor). Another thing is at 25CM total, you have a massive tool buddy! I am not sure that Boston Scientific (formerly AMS) even has anything for that foot long hot dog nor are the semi rigids but overall reading your issue description and despite it sounding like they would have to stack tip extenders from here to the moon to fit a B.S.implant in you, I think you may find that more comfortable. The B.S. implants are narrower based both deflated and inflated too so that would also help you meet your objectives. The ear problem is less of an issue with the B.S. though I have seen more guys report it lately than ever before. Makes me wonder if there has been a change I am not aware of. MANY reports and studies over the last 30 years show that 95% of all erosions were due to a rigid or semi rigid implant. They have virtually become an non issue with the inflatables. You know your body more than anyone. You live in it and at 75 year old you have had 657,000 hours experience with it. You also need to be able to trust the judgement of your doctor or maybe 2-3 opinions, but hopefully this will give you something to give some thought to. Just keep in mind your doc may be selling something and his 10 minutes with you is no relation to the lifetime experience you have with your own dick. Nobody here nor I can do any more than give an opinion looking from the outside at what info we have. Yes Larry, I actually suggested B.S. with Legos on the end. :shock: I may never recover from it. Cheers.

Hahaha Ali, there may be hope for you after all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Larry

Return to “Implants”