infection after 2 years??

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
oldbeek

infection after 2 years??

Postby oldbeek » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Anybody hear of infection setting in after a few years? My brother in law said after having a trouble free implant for over 2 years, he woke up with balls the size of grapefruits. His URO removed the implant and stopped the infection. He thought, well that is the end of that. He doesn't ask many questions. At 3 months ck up, the URO asks, do you want to put a new one in. Hot digits he was ready for that. Had a new implant installed and it is still working 8 years later. He has no idea why it went bad, but like I said he doesn't ask many questions.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Larry10625

Re: infection after 2 years??

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:56 am

oldbeek wrote:Anybody hear of infection setting in after a few years? My brother in law said after having a trouble free implant for over 2 years, he woke up with balls the size of grapefruits. His URO removed the implant and stopped the infection. He thought, well that is the end of that. He doesn't ask many questions. At 3 months ck up, the URO asks, do you want to put a new one in. Hot digits he was ready for that. Had a new implant installed and it is still working 8 years later. He has no idea why it went bad, but like I said he doesn't ask many questions.

WOW... that's horrible. :(

Larry

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:28 am

Before my implant I read about latent infections. Mostly a concern for those with diabetes or who have had chemo, transplants or other immuno weakening things. The plastic cannot fight off infection when it is in your blood stream and attaches itself to it. Or something like that. I was told by my anal doc that I might not be able to surgically remove my hemorrhoids after transplant at least for awhile but never without my uros ok because of possible infection. It was a toss up between one or the other at the time. Had just had a prolonged major bleed but chose the implant instead of waiting another year. You fence sitters who cannot have sex no way no how no matter what can relate.
This is a hodge podge of data blended together. I don't remember the exact info. But that was the gist of latent implant infections.
As I recall it was very rare so I ignored it.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

WyoMan

Postby WyoMan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 am

Hi. After my total ankle replacement the doctor said to take antibiotic before any dental work. There was no limit of time before it was not needed. Wouldn't it be the same for implants?
I wonder about other possible infection sources that may happen, and maybe not be known.
80; married 57 years; HBP well controlled, overweight. Prostate Arterial Embolization Jan 2017: No indication of cancer. Injections failed. Implanted Nov. 2, 2018. Dr. Karin Dolan, Billings, Mt. AMS LGX 15 cm+2 2.5 cm RTE. 65 ml reservoir.

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:19 pm

warrenw wrote:
rancherejim wrote:My UR said that the dentist should be told about the implant when I have my teeth cleaned. I don't know if that is just during the healing process or if that is necessary all the time going forward.

I had an appointment for dental cleaning two months after my surgery date and I asked my surgeon about this. The answer I got was "You do not need any antibiotics prior to any dental work with the implant." And I didn't inform my dentist about the implant.

The answer you get probably depends on what doctor you ask. I've had no problems without antibiotics after 3 dental cleanings/fillings since implant.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Going way off topic her but my dad had rheumatic fever as a kid.
Fast forward maybe 30 years and he had a tooth extraction.
Got a blood infection and died at 35 years of age.
It was in 1943 and maybe antibiotics were all going to the war effort (or well connected).
That really changed my life, but I survived.

I had pneumonia very bad in 1945 or 6 and nearly died.
I was out of school for 7 weeks and nothing but sulfa drugs were given.
Those were the good old days.

My wife was just telling me she had never seen a doctor until she was married to me and pregnant.
I told here maybe that's what made you so strong.
Since we married, she's never seen a doc due to illness.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm

DougAnd wrote:Before my implant I read about latent infections. Mostly a concern for those with diabetes or who have had chemo, transplants or other immuno weakening things. The plastic cannot fight off infection when it is in your blood stream and attaches itself to it. Or something like that. I was told by my anal doc that I might not be able to surgically remove my hemorrhoids after transplant at least for awhile but never without my uros ok because of possible infection. It was a toss up between one or the other at the time. Had just had a prolonged major bleed but chose the implant instead of waiting another year. You fence sitters who cannot have sex no way no how no matter what can relate.
This is a hodge podge of data blended together. I don't remember the exact info. But that was the gist of latent implant infections.
As I recall it was very rare so I ignored it.
He is fairly healthy. Not real active but does walk about a mile a day.
Last edited by oldbeek on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 pm

Here is my thought on that. I know there is such thing as a latent infection but 2 years out is a long time. Long long time. 1 thought is blood is a perfect medium to feed bacteria.That is one reason they put a drain in or use other agents to coagulate and create an anti-infective environment. (the powder you see put in before closing in the videos). A slight injury, broken blood vessel or such can set it up. In grown scrotal sack hair? We all get pimples, pustules and such. Where does it come from. Bruise yourself and sometimes that knot turns into an infection. Common ailment of horses I have treated before. Fistulo. How? It just happens some times. I doubt an infection came from the implant but it is possible like some virus', the body fought it off for years, then it mutated or the number of white cells programmed to fight that bug just wore down in numbers till the bug got the upper hand. It is a known fact that does happen also. I've had this discussion with Dr. Kramer several times. I have HIV so immune fighting power can be an issue. I've had 4 kinds of cancer and have been on 2 types of chemo lately. Despite having a Coloplast implant that does not have an antibacterial agent infused into the product, Dr. Kramer assures me that the plastic cannot support biological life. That part rings a bell with me being a PVC fabricator since 1992. Cheap plastic chairs turn black mildew looking over time due to the dirt and impurities in the cheap plastic. The plastic itself does not support biological life, only the 'dirt' that is in it. Good quality virgin plastic does not have the dirt and are not subject to that 'moldy' problem so being familiar with that, Dr. Kramer's reminder of such has to be correct. Glad he has been infection free 8 years. Anything implanted in the body is considered a foreign object by the body. That is why it encapsulates it. Basically it is sealing it off. Another type of encapsulation is a calcified lymph node. Whatever your body is trying to protect itself from it puts in a bone like shell. Sometimes things go haywire and triggers an immune response that treats whatever foreign as an infection. Sometimes things have to be dropped into the file called shit happens but in the commonality of it, it must be considered a rare occurrence. Cheers.
Last edited by alibaba on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Ali, Good explanation. I just thought it was a good conversation starter.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:56 pm

oldbeek wrote:Ali, Good explanation. I just thought it was a good conversation starter.

The fact that it happened at such a late stage was interesting and great to here a good resolution.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Return to “Implants”