UK Implant Diary

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
UK_Steve

UK Implant Diary

Postby UK_Steve » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Having just joined the prestigious ranks of the "Bionic Brothers" here in the UK I thought I'd like to share my experience with anyone else thinking of taking this journey, especially in the UK.
First a little background. I was diagnosed with stage 3 prostate cancer in August 2017. I had robotic assisted prostatectomy in December 2017 at the Hallamshire hospital in Sheffield. The no nerve sparing operation meant I suffered ED and found that the use of MUSE or injections had little effect on gaining a useful erection.
I was recommended to use a VED on a daily basis to prevent penile scarring. This was very good advice in being able to maintain my pre prostatectomy size.
I read a lot of discussions & diaries on this web site & my thanks to all who contributed especially my UK bionic brothers (London Lad, Spikepork & Steve H) whose experiences & encouragement went a long way in making my mind up to go ahead & get the implant.
I could have waited to have the operation locally on our NHS but one of the warnings constantly being hammered out on this web site was to get the best surgeon possible. One of the very best surgeons I could find based here in the UK was Professor David Ralph. As I have health insurance with AXA-PPP this made it very affordable even if all costs were not covered.
My initial consultation with Mr Ralph was 19/02/2019 in his Harley Street office. He showed me the AMS and Coloplast implants and did a stretch measurement. He asked me which one I preferred but I told him that I would leave the decision to him.

Day 1 - Operation day

My operation was scheduled for 25/03/2019 at the St John & St Elizabeth hospital. I travelled there by train with my wife from Wakefield to Kings Cross then taxi to the Danubius hotel (booked for 3 nights) located about half a mile from the hospital. I checked into the hospital at 07:00hrs on the 25th, filled in a few questionnaires then was shown to my room. After a few tests I had the operation at about 12 noon. The operation took about 1.5 hours and woke up in post op with just a little discomfort. I was given some morphine then wheeled back to my room. I had a catheter and a drain. Lunch arrived soon after and having no sickness and barely any discomfort really enjoyed the food! I was about 50% inflated after the op but Mr Ralph deflated me later that day and removed the bandages. I had been fitted with a Coloplast 22cm with a 1cm RTE.
I was monitored every 4 hours for BP & pulse. I was given a blood thinning injection, antibiotic & anti-inflammatory tablets. Dinner was another delight!
I slept reasonably well that night.

Day 2

Early the following morning the catheter was removed but the drain remained in as it was . After the catheter was removed I got a lot of pain coming & going until I forced myself to pee, then no more pain! After breakfast, & taking a few short walks around the corridors my wife & I went back to the hotel by taxi (didn't fancy the half mile walk!). There I just laid in bed watching TV while my wife acted as "nurse"!

Day 3

Little pain only when standing but that subdues very quickly. Hiccups don't help mind! Drain was still leaking very slightly. Went to Harley street clinic where the drain was removed & I was inflated to about 50% - to stop further bleeding.
The return train journey to Wakefield was really good with only occasional slight discomfort.
Peeing is the main issue at the moment which takes a bit of concentration to get started & maintain but this should improve with time.
Now back at home sitting in stretchy cotton pants with long pads supporting him. All thing considered I'm very pleased with the way things are at the moment.
I go back to learn to inflate & deflate on 5/4/2019 (5th April!).
Other than the pain I got after the catheter was removed I haven't had any real pain. When I'm sitting down, there is either no pain or a slight ache at most. But yeah, I know it's early days!!

I'll include some pictures as soon as I can.
65 years old
Diagnosed with PC in August 2017 - Biopsy Gleason 4+5=9
Radical Prostatectomy 14/12/17 no nerves spared - PSA now undetectable. ED since op. Tried MUSE and injections without success.
Titan 22cm + 1cm - 25/03/19 by Mr Ralph in London UK

UK_Steve

Re: UK Implant Diary

Postby UK_Steve » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:35 pm

1. Pre Op Stretch
stretch.JPG
stretch.JPG (58.9 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

2. Post Op - Day 2
Attachments
Day 2.jpg
Day 2.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
65 years old
Radical Prostatectomy 14/12/17 no nerves spared - PSA now undetectable. ED since op. Tried MUSE and injections without success.

UK_Steve

Postby UK_Steve » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Post Op - Day 3
Attachments
Day 3a.jpg
Day 3a.jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
65 years old

Spikepork

Postby Spikepork » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Congrats and welcome. Your journey is almost word for word step by step as mine was. Relax. Take it easy and men’s well. It is DEFINETLY worth the wait.
Now Implanted 9/12/17. 52 years old with ED for over 20 years. Tried all the pills and injections. Update. Implanted with Titan 22 + 1. by DR Ralph Dec 9th London. Now in recovery and at 3 months feeling the journey was worth the pain.

UK_Steve

Postby UK_Steve » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks again my friend & it's good to know that things are continuing to go well for you.
65 years old

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Glad to see the English cock-up not in the negative light for a change and actually be cock is up! Looking good. A few days will be blithering awful but it gets better quick. Don't get in a rush to dance on the cobblestones with an Irish lass yet. Stay reclined and iced for a week. Cheers.
Last edited by alibaba on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 am

UK_Steve wrote:1. Pre Op Stretch
stretch.JPG

2. Post Op - Day 2

Is picture number 1 with an erection?

Larry

UK_Steve

Postby UK_Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks Alibaba, your advice is appreciated, especially the dancing!
65 years old

UK_Steve

Postby UK_Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:06 am

Day 4:
I slept reasonably well last night making 2 trips to pee. Peeing has become easier and painless now although still takes a bit of effort to maintain a constant stream.
More bruising is evident on the scrotum. Pain is still minimal to nil. Continuing to take my painkillers, anti-inflammatory & antibiotic tablets.

I had my first BM since the op. Being partially inflated I sat well back and landed a log on the back of the seat! Damn got to resolve that.

Had a shower then my wife dried my wounds using the cold air setting of her hair dryer! Well, you've got to improvise!

Now sat here in clean cotton shorts with supporting pads. I may take a stroll in the garden later.
65 years old

UK_Steve

Postby UK_Steve » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 am

Day 4:
Attachments
Day 4.jpg
Day 4.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Day 4b.jpg
Day 4b.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
65 years old

Return to “Implants”