Patient Champion

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
needhelp

Patient Champion

Postby needhelp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:25 am

I'm fairly new on this site. What is a Patient Champion? Are there any out there?
61 years old, single, Charlotte NC, Had a penile fracture. Implant scheduled for April 17. Dr Terlecki Winston-Salem, NC

DaveKell

Re: Patient Champion

Postby DaveKell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 am

needhelp wrote:I'm fairly new on this site. What is a Patient Champion? Are there any out there?

I am one who speaks at seminars. I can message you my phone number.
Became DaveKell 2.0 on July 18th with Dr. Allen Morey in Dallas, TX. AMS 700 CX implant. 18cm with 5.5 RTE's.

Piddlin

Postby Piddlin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 am

HI,
A patient champion is the same as a patient advocate. When I had my implant done in Huston there was an advocate assigned to me. She was with me every step of the surgery process. She met with my wife and I pre-op, went to surgery with me and kept my wife updated.

Now for what the champion/advocate is. Normally this is medically trained person, normally an RN, that goes with you on your journey. They should not be associated with your Dr. directly. They are there to help you ask and get answers to your questions. They are there to basically use there knowledge to protect your interest.

Hope this helps.
63 yo with ED since RP in 1/2013. March 31, 2017 implanted with AMS CX MS 700, 21 cm with 1cm RTE

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Piddlin wrote:HI,
A patient champion is the same as a patient advocate. When I had my implant done in Huston there was an advocate assigned to me. She was with me every step of the surgery process. She met with my wife and I pre-op, went to surgery with me and kept my wife updated.

Now for what the champion/advocate is. Normally this is medically trained person, normally an RN, that goes with you on your journey. They should not be associated with your Dr. directly. They are there to help you ask and get answers to your questions. They are there to basically use there knowledge to protect your interest.

Hope this helps.

I understood a patient "Champion" to be another Male figure that has experienced an implant prior to you getting yours, that helps give assurance, helps answer questions and concerns and "might" follow you through your implant Journey.

I understood a patient "advocate" ... more as an implant manufacturer employee/ representative, medically trained, possibly an RN , that follows you through your implant journey or helps you after your implant.

Possibly I'm wrong, but those are my personal understandings.

Larry ... ???
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Just a question then, How does one get assigned a patient advocate.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 pm

SW0110 wrote:Just a question then, How does one get assigned a patient advocate.

As "piddlin" stated, "He had one assigned to him"; possibly through his doctor, the hospital, insurance or the manufacturer themselves; I dunno.

Hopefully he will elaborate upon that.

From my experience you must luck into one somehow, because it doesn't appear to be an industry wide, standardized procedure. "Decide upon an implant, automatically, gain an advocate."

Most on here didn't seem to have one. I know I didnt.
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm

AMS assigned a Rep as part of my team, my guardian angel. Saw her twice for a few seconds before my surgery never before never after. She did answer questions for weeks prior to help me understand what to expect. I told her I would never consent to implant surgery if I did not get 100% assurance that my tips would be perfectly even. She said the Doctor is an excellent surgeon, his measurements are exact and she would make the prosthesis within 1 mm of his measurements. Well he was an excellent surgeon and she did make the prosthesis within 1 mm of his measurements but she knew that his measurements could never be exact because the implant only comes in 1/2 cm increments. I guess she figured that I would never notice. Turned out that my uneven fit caused distal crossover. OOOPS!!!
Trust me you do not want a patient advocate.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:05 am

justanotherdrumber wrote:
Piddlin wrote:HI,

Hope this helps.

I understood a patient "Champion" to be another Male figure that has experienced an implant prior to you getting yours, that helps give assurance, helps answer questions and concerns and "might" follow you through your implant Journey.

I understood a patient "advocate" ... more as an implant manufacturer employee/ representative, medically trained, possibly an RN , that follows you through your implant journey or helps you after your implant.

Possibly I'm wrong, but those are my personal understandings.

Larry ... ???

Yup, that's bang on, Patients Advocates also are asked to speak at seminars.. :)

Larry

DaveKell

Postby DaveKell » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 am

justanotherdrumber wrote:
SW0110 wrote:Just a question then, How does one get assigned a patient advocate.

You can ask your urologist if an implant manufacturer has one available in your region. My implant doctor has given out my phone number before as I speak at seminars for a particular manufacturer.
Became DaveKell 2.0 on July 18th with Dr. Allen Morey in Dallas, TX. AMS 700 CX implant. 18cm with 5.5 RTE's.

Xomanow

Postby Xomanow » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 pm

I had a patient champion when I had my implant two years ago......Sir Hungalot…...I highly recommend him......

sir hungalot.jpg
sir hungalot.jpg (184.65 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Implanted Jan 4 2017 by Dr. Eid - 70 yo and single...ED gradually over 15 yrs...tired of pills, injections, cock rings....happy with my choice and results. Titan OTR - one 20cm cylinder - one 20cm+1 RTE...."got a rocket in my pocket"....

Return to “Implants”