First Revision Cause and Possible Pump Issues New Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
justanotherdrumber

Re: First Revision Cause and Possible Pump Issues New Implant

Postby justanotherdrumber » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:15 pm

AirWolf wrote:Thanks again for replying with your experiences

justanotherdrumber: I do squeeze the penis to fully drain the cylinders
raychez: It takes me about 60 pumps for it to be good enough for sex -- which is the same as my former pump -- though maybe you are getting more out of each pump than I'm getting. Sounds like your former pump was a nice design -- wonder why they changed it. Good luck on your revision!
tomas1: I've never had the issue, with either pump I've had, where the bulb gets very hard after a few pumps, so I can't comment on that issue or cause. I would check with a patient liaison at AMS, or your doctor

All of your comments has eased my mind a bit and I think I'll just go with the flow and hope for the best!

IF ... you have ever handled a "sample" of a AMS700 device, such as at a urologists office; you can note that the MS bulb is relatively effortless to compress with no saline contained within it.
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 pm

I think my problem is mostly that the pump isn't broken in yet?
Yesterday, I was able to get more depression.
Today not as much but probably usable.We're going to give it another test drive next Tue, my 4 month post-op.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Kevin, I feel your pain. My first pump locked up constantly. Had l
It moved and replaced. Try always hitting deflate before inflating. Good luck
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:20 pm

My MS pump has had all those problems and some others. Mine will vary on how much pressure is needed. Only rarely and not for a long time was it easy to inflate. The cylinders inflate at different rates and to different firmness and size. The difference will decrease over 5 to 10 minutes now. I can use it and it works. Just varies from difficult to very difficult and time. I had nothing that worked before and now it does so I am happy with it and so are my girlfriends.

As far as pumps, well that depends on a lot of things. As said full vs. partial pumps, level of deflation, and I would guess size of the cylinders might have something to do with it (15cm vs. 18cm vs. 21cm ect), and firmness of the desired erection (comfortable vs. hard vs. forced pumping after max). For me best results are with 10 to 15 pumps and then wait for a few minutes or longer then another 10 to 20 pumps depending on how difficult and how completely I can pump and how hard I want the erection to be.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

AirWolf

Postby AirWolf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 pm

It is odd that this pump and my previous one from about a year earlier seem to behave differently -- you'd think they would all act the same!

I think justanotherdrumber's point of having the cylinders completely drained may be onto something. I noticed the other day that after sex it is not as easy to fully drain the penis -- since it is still engorged from sexual activity. Deflating and squeezing, then waiting a while till the penis has become more flaccid I can definitely squeeze and deflate more. I'll make more of an effort to fully deflate.

The pump does seem to be a bit glitchy but as long as it works I'll be so happy -- and yes newbie443 -- it works and I like it better than injections
ED since 35 with no known cause -- injections successful for over a decade with 10/1/30 and less than 20units but that became ineffective. Implanted penoscratally by Dr. Kramer of Baltimore on 9/13/17 with AMS 700 LGX 21cm + 0.5cm RTE at 47 years old

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 am

AirWolf wrote:My bionic brothers --

First implant Sept 2017 -- about 11 months later while trying to pump up (usually about 60 pumps for intercourse) the pump went flat at about 45 pumps. I deflated and tried again . . . this time at about 40 pumps the bulb went flat. I deflated and made a third attempt and at 35 pumps the bulb went flat. This seemed to indicate a leak in the system. In October of 2018 I went in for a revision -- turns out the reservoir had a hole in it. The doctor wasn't sure if it was a manufacturing issue (like a weak spot), or if it was something he did during placement of it during the surgery (ie creating a weak spot while inserting the reservoir in the implant surgery), or some other issue. In any case it was fairly disappointing to have to have had a revision so soon. The doctor replaced all components just to be on the safe side. On the plus side, healing was less than 50% of the time of the original surgery -- even though he put in new cylinders, and put the reservoir in a new spot in my body (again, just to be safe, he put it in a deeper location on the other side of my body). The original surgery took like 6 weeks for sexual activity and 16 weeks before I was I would say 95% healed, whereas the second surgery took 2 weeks for sexual activity and 6 weeks to 95% healed.

My first pump worked well -- I never had any issues. I'm now wishing my doctor hadn't replaced the pump -- at this point I'm a bit anxious -- I'm not sure if I have indications of a faulty pump, or if this is not totally uncommon and it will likely be ok for years.

With my first pump, it would always start pumping on the first squeeze -- with this one, the first squeeze often results in a flat bulb. I push the deflate button and do another attempt at pumping. Often, the second squeeze results in a pop and inflation, though sometimes it is not until the 3rd attempt. This pump seems to be a bit less user friendly and I'm concerned this is an indication that I got a dud, or maybe it is just "different" than my first one and will be fine.

Just curious what other bionic brothers' experience with AMS pumping is like.
Any similar issues or tips? Should I schedule a revision asap?

Thanks,
Kevin

If it were me, I would schedule ASAP. It is quite possible that it's just the pump and that would be quick and recovery time should be a lot less. :)

Larry

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am

Welcome back, Larry.
Now I guess we'll have to behave. :lol:
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Return to “Implants”