First Revision Cause and Possible Pump Issues New Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
AirWolf

First Revision Cause and Possible Pump Issues New Implant

Postby AirWolf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

My bionic brothers --

First implant Sept 2017 -- about 11 months later while trying to pump up (usually about 60 pumps for intercourse) the pump went flat at about 45 pumps. I deflated and tried again . . . this time at about 40 pumps the bulb went flat. I deflated and made a third attempt and at 35 pumps the bulb went flat. This seemed to indicate a leak in the system. In October of 2018 I went in for a revision -- turns out the reservoir had a hole in it. The doctor wasn't sure if it was a manufacturing issue (like a weak spot), or if it was something he did during placement of it during the surgery (ie creating a weak spot while inserting the reservoir in the implant surgery), or some other issue. In any case it was fairly disappointing to have to have had a revision so soon. The doctor replaced all components just to be on the safe side. On the plus side, healing was less than 50% of the time of the original surgery -- even though he put in new cylinders, and put the reservoir in a new spot in my body (again, just to be safe, he put it in a deeper location on the other side of my body). The original surgery took like 6 weeks for sexual activity and 16 weeks before I was I would say 95% healed, whereas the second surgery took 2 weeks for sexual activity and 6 weeks to 95% healed.

My first pump worked well -- I never had any issues. I'm now wishing my doctor hadn't replaced the pump -- at this point I'm a bit anxious -- I'm not sure if I have indications of a faulty pump, or if this is not totally uncommon and it will likely be ok for years.

With my first pump, it would always start pumping on the first squeeze -- with this one, the first squeeze often results in a flat bulb. I push the deflate button and do another attempt at pumping. Often, the second squeeze results in a pop and inflation, though sometimes it is not until the 3rd attempt. This pump seems to be a bit less user friendly and I'm concerned this is an indication that I got a dud, or maybe it is just "different" than my first one and will be fine.

Just curious what other bionic brothers' experience with AMS pumping is like.
Any similar issues or tips? Should I schedule a revision asap?

Thanks,
Kevin
ED since 35 with no known cause -- injections successful for over a decade with 10/1/30 and less than 20units but that became ineffective. Implanted penoscratally by Dr. Kramer of Baltimore on 9/13/17 with AMS 700 LGX 21cm + 0.5cm RTE at 47 years old

ED2013

Re: First Revision Cause and Possible Pump Issues New Implant

Postby ED2013 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm

I’ve experienced this at times. Seems to get better the more you use it. I would not schedule a revision it’s possible your implant could still last many years.

Mr stuby

Postby Mr stuby » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Air wolf
I sometimes have the issue's at times its been over two yrs.and no I'll effect's
The only time it dose it if I deflate it wrong no big deal just reset like you're doing
Mike
74yr.old married 54yrs pc11/13 rad seed implants started ved 1/14 .implanted 11/20/2016 ams lgx 18+1 11 up 8 down 6 1/2 flaccid 7 5/8
local uro sanford health,

s. central N.D.
MIKE

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 pm

AirWolf wrote:My bionic brothers --

First implant Sept 2017 -- about 11 months later while trying to pump up (usually about 60 pumps for intercourse) the pump went flat at about 45 pumps. I deflated and tried again . . . this time at about 40 pumps the bulb went flat. I deflated and made a third attempt and at 35 pumps the bulb went flat. This seemed to indicate a leak in the system. In October of 2018 I went in for a revision -- turns out the reservoir had a hole in it. The doctor wasn't sure if it was a manufacturing issue (like a weak spot), or if it was something he did during placement of it during the surgery (ie creating a weak spot while inserting the reservoir in the implant surgery), or some other issue. In any case it was fairly disappointing to have to have had a revision so soon. The doctor replaced all components just to be on the safe side. On the plus side, healing was less than 50% of the time of the original surgery -- even though he put in new cylinders, and put the reservoir in a new spot in my body (again, just to be safe, he put it in a deeper location on the other side of my body). The original surgery took like 6 weeks for sexual activity and 16 weeks before I was I would say 95% healed, whereas the second surgery took 2 weeks for sexual activity and 6 weeks to 95% healed.

My first pump worked well -- I never had any issues. I'm now wishing my doctor hadn't replaced the pump -- at this point I'm a bit anxious -- I'm not sure if I have indications of a faulty pump, or if this is not totally uncommon and it will likely be ok for years.

With my first pump, it would always start pumping on the first squeeze -- with this one, the first squeeze often results in a flat bulb. I push the deflate button and do another attempt at pumping. Often, the second squeeze results in a pop and inflation, though sometimes it is not until the 3rd attempt. This pump seems to be a bit less user friendly and I'm concerned this is an indication that I got a dud, or maybe it is just "different" than my first one and will be fine.

Just curious what other bionic brothers' experience with AMS pumping is like.
Any similar issues or tips? Should I schedule a revision asap?

Thanks,
Kevin

Have you tried the pump "reset" of squeezing both sides of the holding block inward toward the center of the pump ?
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

AirWolf

Postby AirWolf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks for the replies -- this is reassuring to hear that it is not uncommon.

I think my first pump may have just been more forgiving -- I don't think I'm great at doing the first pump as hard and fast as I should. I have tried the block reset by squeezing on the sides -- I'm not sure if I did it hard enough or if it was effective as I still have the issue of 2-3 attempts to start inflation properly. I would say it is only 1/3rd of the time that 1 pump gets it going, otherwise it takes 2-3 cycles of pump -> flat bulb -> deflate button -> pump, to get it to properly inflate.

In any case, your responses have made me less anxious so thanks. I'll let you know if there are any other issues
ED since 35 with no known cause -- injections successful for over a decade with 10/1/30 and less than 20units but that became ineffective. Implanted penoscratally by Dr. Kramer of Baltimore on 9/13/17 with AMS 700 LGX 21cm + 0.5cm RTE at 47 years old

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 am

AirWolf wrote:Thanks for the replies -- this is reassuring to hear that it is not uncommon.

I think my first pump may have just been more forgiving -- I don't think I'm great at doing the first pump as hard and fast as I should. I have tried the block reset by squeezing on the sides -- I'm not sure if I did it hard enough or if it was effective as I still have the issue of 2-3 attempts to start inflation properly. I would say it is only 1/3rd of the time that 1 pump gets it going, otherwise it takes 2-3 cycles of pump -> flat bulb -> deflate button -> pump, to get it to properly inflate.

In any case, your responses have made me less anxious so thanks. I'll let you know if there are any other issues

Kevin,

Do you squeeze your shaft to drain excess saline back to the reservoir after deflating/deactivating ?
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
March 2018

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Mine was acting up since new on the revision, until it failed 20 months later. They are going to replace the MS pump which to me it is a piece of s***. It was doing the same thing yours is doing.

The pump that was installed on my very first implant did not have a button like the MS, all you done was squeeze the block and it would deflate. Worked for 15 years just fine using it almost every day.

I am suppose to get a replacement on March 18, 2019 now. Was suppose to have had it done 2-8, 19 but the doctor stopped just minutes before the surgery and said I had an infection some where, that it had showed up on the urine culture. So to be on the safe side he postponed the surgery. But I honestly do not like the design of the MS pump. It is large. Maybe it is just that I do not like it because of the problems it gave me. Lets see if the second one is better.

I could fill the cylinders with 22 pumps, rock hard.

I read about some here claiming that it takes 40 pumps??? Something wrong somewhere.
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm

I'll never understand why my MS is almost unsqueezable so far.
I get several proper squeezes then it's almost impossible to squeeze.
They must have been able to find a softer material.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 pm

tomas1 wrote:I'll never understand why my MS is almost unsqueezable so far.
I get several proper squeezes then it's almost impossible to squeeze.
They must have been able to find a softer material.

I don't believe the material itself or the physical thickness of the walls have much to do with effort required to squeeze the bulb.

I think it has more to do with the internals of the pump instead.
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
March 2018

AirWolf

Postby AirWolf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks again for replying with your experiences

justanotherdrumber: I do squeeze the penis to fully drain the cylinders
raychez: It takes me about 60 pumps for it to be good enough for sex -- which is the same as my former pump -- though maybe you are getting more out of each pump than I'm getting. Sounds like your former pump was a nice design -- wonder why they changed it. Good luck on your revision!
tomas1: I've never had the issue, with either pump I've had, where the bulb gets very hard after a few pumps, so I can't comment on that issue or cause. I would check with a patient liaison at AMS, or your doctor

All of your comments has eased my mind a bit and I think I'll just go with the flow and hope for the best!

Return to “Implants”