It's not nice to fool mother nature

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DougAnd

It's not nice to fool mother nature

Postby DougAnd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I'm just saying that maybe I had a hand in my situation. Don't get me wrong in my opinion every surgeon needs to take responsibility for his mess but....Let's face it I was not the easiest patient. My first uro promised to shrink me about an inch and I flipped out. My second one said maybe 2 inches. That was it I was done. I told the AMS rep that unless they could find a REAL surgeon forget it. That they would need to tell him what I expected cause I was not going to go through anymore grief with these bozos. Well surgeons number 3 and 4 (actually 4 and 5) both showed me they would take less than 1/2 inch so I said yes. But I asked for max stretch measurement . No. I asked for 50% pumped. No. They wanted to use a CX not an LGX I said no way I'll leave first. That was minutes before surgery.
I'm just saying that I might have seriously messed up their mojo. Don't ever ask a doctor to do something that he really does not know how to do. I may have had a part in my gross mismeasurement. Maybe.But Maybe not.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

tomas1

Re: It's not nice to fool mother nature

Postby tomas1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 am

Interesting; I've only seen one urologist and he did say all the right things.
As far as length goes, I asked how he measures and he said after I'm sedated he gives a shot to give max length and then measures. I assume he also measures internally?

I'm only 8 days post-op, so I don't know how it'll turn out.
Right now, I could live with a little less than I started and I'm thinking about just not measuring.

In an earlier visit I asked if he did scrotal and he seemed offended that I ask.
Anyhow, when I decided to go through with this, I asked for peno-scrotal if possible.

I just got around to putting some Neosporin on the sutures and noticed I have a horizontal incision on the scrotum.
My pump is quite happy since it's hanging below my shrunken balls thanks to T shots.

In case anyone has read all this, have any of you had the most discomfort with where the reservoir was pushed through some kind of barrier? Mine is still painful and does require pain meds.

Also, I have no scrotal swelling or bruising. My "snake eyes" decided to seep some clear fluid yesterday and I put some Neosp on them and they seem to be fine now.

Sorry to jump in so fast, but I at least got my status updated.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Vagabond127

Postby Vagabond127 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am

Tomas-

Sounds like your recovery is right on track. Everyone is different though. You say you need pain meds for your reservoir. I need pain meds for deflation although it is getting much better as time goes by (implanted 1/15). So we each have different circumstances in recovery neither good nor bad.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Vagabond
Implanted with Titan 1/15/19 with Dr. Eid.
6-length 4.5-girth.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Congratulations on your recovery moving along successfully. But Your post raised questions that are too late for you to do anything about but which (I opine which includes my bias that the patient should be considered a vital part of the medical decision-making process) might be valuable fodder for men searching for a surgeon to consider.

You said:
tomas1 wrote:Interesting; I've only seen one urologist and he did say all the right things.

Follwed by:
tomas1 wrote:In an earlier visit I asked if he did scrotal and he seemed offended that I ask.
Anyhow, when I decided to go through with this, I asked for peno-scrotal if possible.

To me (if he actually was offended rather than just surprised), that is a reaction that raises alarms.

As I mentioned before, I am biased in my attitude. I believe the patient should be closely involved in the decision-making process. Not the ultimate decider, but should be informed (at least) about how the rest of the medical team makes decisions about what gets done to the patient.

I recognize that not everyone shares my attitude, nor is it everyone's wish to be that deeply involved. I get that, and do not regard that attitude as "wrong" or anything of the sort. Just different from mine.

I did find such a surgeon, and he remarked (not only to me, but I found independently that he said the same thing to others in his staff) that I was the most informed and involved patient he ever had. What I like most about that statement is that he seemed to appreciate my interest.

My primary care Doctor also told me something similar, that I knew more about E.D. and implants than he did. I think that opinion from my primary care Doctor helped get authorization for the implant.

I got only one surprise in recovery. the use of rear tip extenders instead of a straight 21cm implant.

Surgeons have a reputation of having a poor bedside manner. Only pathologists and coroners have less interaction with their subjects. The nature of what they do, I figure. More like mechanics than counselors. Not a bad judgement, just the way of the world. So, a sympathetic surgeon who invites interaction with their patient is a fairly rare find.
But, with any surgeon, approached in the right way, I believe establishing such a collegiate relationship is possible and benefits the patient.

So, I suggest that anyone (approaching a surgical treatment for their E.D.) develop such a relationship with their chosen surgeon (or, at least, a significant member of their staff), and if they cannot, to find another surgeon.

Again, my approach to my health care may not be right for everyone and I will not fault anyone for making a different choice. But I want to emphasize that it is THEIR CHOICE, whatever they (the patient) decides. So, make it deliberately. Put at least as much effort into this as you do buying a car.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Return to “Implants”