Implant Brand and Size

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
robertm

Re: Implant Brand and Size

Postby robertm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:20 am

So I think what I'm hearing is that in most circumstances without complications (peyronies, scar tissue) it doesn't matter which brand is installed. There are no anatomical factors that force you to one brand over the other...it's a matter of preference. Is that accurate? If not, what other physiological factors (besides peyronies or scarring/plaque) mandate one brand over the other?
60 yrs old. Gradually worsening ED for 10 years. Pills and trimix not working well anymore. Will need an implant in the near future.

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am

I think commission has something to do with it. That apparently is a major factor.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

robertm wrote:There are no anatomical factors that force you to one brand over the other...it's a matter of preference. Is that accurate?

If you can, try to handle both AMS and Coloplast pumps together. I did that at the doctor's office and had a preference for the smoother shape and smaller size of the Coloplast. I felt that being very active in sports the Coloplast would be a better match for me. Ultimately I asked Dr Eid to choose what he felt was best for me during surgery. And now a year later I wouldn't change a thing.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 am

Like others have said, there are pros and cons to both. In my case with my issues I plan on a titan. I stretch out a little over 6. Trimix at right at 6, girth is around 6. I can ved to around 6.75 now, but do not think that is the measurement for how big your implant will be. Maybe over time with cycling I might get there. According to studies, titans normally give you about a cm gain over a year or so. An lgx I think around 1.3 cm or so. All that is if a doc properly sized you and you are still stretchy enough to get the gains. All in all I will be happy if after recuperating and inflating, I keep my 6 I will be pretty darn happy. I always hang down around 5 inches so the titan being around the same length flaccid or hard is no big deal to me.

The lgx is popular because it is made of stretchier material and can stretch farther than the titan. This would be a nice scenario if a doc gets to cautious and say you measure out to a 20 cm implant, but he decides to put in a shorter one just to play it safe and not blow your glans out. An lgx could expand the extra length where a titan due to stiffer cylinders might not. Over time the titans do soften up though and are supposed to get more comfortable feeling. For me, I really just want a hard erection and hope the docs size me accurately with the titan and it gets rid of my curve and dents.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

needhelp

Postby needhelp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 pm

should you ask if your dr will have both types on hand during the surgery? I understand that the rep brings in what he orders? I could be wrong about that if I ma I'm sorry
61 years old, single, Charlotte NC, Had a penile fracture. Implant scheduled for April 17. Dr Terlecki Winston-Salem, NC

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm

i've never heard of a Doc having 2 reps in one surgery. The rep is an RN and part of his team.
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 pm

High-volume implanters like Dr. Eid may have an inventory of models, sizes and manufacturers devices on hand, but I imagine most do not have that luxury. And having both Manufacturers' representatives in the operating room at the same time might present conflicts as well.

The low and medium volume implanters I have spoken to have indicated that the choice of manufacturer is made before the surgery is scheduled. Presumably this decision is based on the Surgeon's best judgment based on clinical exam, medical necessity and consideration of the patient's desires, not financial relationships between the clinic and device manufacturer or the Representative being someone's son-in-law. Do your homework and trust your doctor based on YOUR best judgement.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

SW0110

Postby SW0110 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:34 pm

I have been reading a bunch of studies on safely doing implants and recommended procedures and found one that specifically laid out the measurement. A non lengthening implant should be measured and placed .5 cm less than the total measurement. In the case of the AMS expandable implant, it was recommended that the implant total length be 2 cm less than the total measurement to give the implant a safe length to expand into. First time I saw that.
18 cm plus 1 rte titan installed March 2019. Revision March 2020 by Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY. He replaced the titan with an AMS 700 LGX 18 cm cylinder plus 2 rte for 20 cm total length.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:44 pm

SW0110 wrote:I have been reading a bunch of studies on safely doing implants and recommended procedures and found one that specifically laid out the measurement. A non lengthening implant should be measured and placed .5 cm less than the total measurement. In the case of the AMS expandable implant, it was recommended that the implant total length be 2 cm less than the total measurement to give the implant a safe length to expand into. First time I saw that.

Please, PLEASE, post the link to the study (or post the publication name and issue number/date, or at least the title).

I read a study by Monague et al specifying a shorter implant than the inside measurement of the tunica, but the recommendation was applicable to malleable implants which were more prone to distal tip erosion than inflatables. The recommendation was less applicable to inflatables and even less for the LGX model from AMS.

Sorry, I don't have the link to the Montague article available right now. I will edit this post when/if I find it again.

Thank you for bringing this up. It is important to a good installation.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:51 pm

SW0110 wrote:I have been reading a bunch of studies on safely doing implants and recommended procedures and found one that specifically laid out the measurement. A non lengthening implant should be measured and placed .5 cm less than the total measurement. In the case of the AMS expandable implant, it was recommended that the implant total length be 2 cm less than the total measurement to give the implant a safe length to expand into. First time I saw that.

Please, PLEASE, post the link to the study (or post the publication name and issue number/date, or at least the title).

I read a study by Monague et al specifying a shorter implant than the inside measurement of the tunica, but the recommendation was applicable to malleable implants which were more prone to distal tip erosion than inflatables. The recommendation was less applicable to inflatables and even less for the LGX model from AMS.

Sorry, I don't have the link to the Montague article available right now. I will edit this post when/if I find it again.

Here is a citation for a different article that does seem to address your point about the difference capabilities of the LGX vs the other models from either maker:
Montague DK, Angermeier KW. Increasing size with penile implants. Curr Urol Rep. 2008;9:483–486. [PubMed]

Thank you for bringing this up. It is important to a good installation.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023

Return to “Implants”