Looking for a Dr in NC, what questions do I ask

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
GruffHunter

Re: Looking for a Dr in NC, what questions do I ask

Postby GruffHunter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am

I see a lot of guys have responded to your question about Dr Natale and UNC, but not much about "what questions do i ask." Having just gone through the procedure on Jan 7, here's a list of random questions for ya:

1) What type of device and size are you recommending, and why?
2) Where do you make the incision? Dissolving or removable stitches?
3) Who shaves my pubes - me or you?
4) Will you leave me inflated or not?
5) Are you keeping me overnight? If not, how long do I need to be in the immediate area?
6) What underwear, sitting positions, and sleep positions would you recommend?
7) What is the post-op visitation schedule?
8) What's my recovery time? What can I and can't I do in the weeks following the procedure?
9) Who is the liaison with my insurance company? Are we sure this is covered?
10) What meds will I be on after the procedure? (I was on stool softeners, pain killers, and antibiotics)

You may know the answers to some of these already, but they are things that 'came up' during my process that i may not have thought of coherently while worrying about the thought of my dick being rotor-rootered!
Gruff Hunter, 59, Titan (24 cm + 1 inch extenders) implanted by Dr Gross, 07 Jan 2017. Gay/open marriage, Chester, VT, USA

needhelp

Postby needhelp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:56 am

GruffHunter wrote:I see a lot of guys have responded to your question about Dr Natale and UNC, but not much about "what questions do i ask." Having just gone through the procedure on Jan 7, here's a list of random questions for ya:

1) What type of device and size are you recommending, and why?
2) Where do you make the incision? Dissolving or removable stitches?
3) Who shaves my pubes - me or you?
4) Will you leave me inflated or not?
5) Are you keeping me overnight? If not, how long do I need to be in the immediate area?
6) What underwear, sitting positions, and sleep positions would you recommend?
7) What is the post-op visitation schedule?
8) What's my recovery time? What can I and can't I do in the weeks following the procedure?
9) Who is the liaison with my insurance company? Are we sure this is covered?
10) What meds will I be on after the procedure? (I was on stool softeners, pain killers, and antibiotics)

You may know the answers to some of these already, but they are things that 'came up' during my process that i may not have thought of coherently while worrying about the thought of my dick being rotor-rootered!

Thank you....great questions
61 years old, single, Charlotte NC, Had a penile fracture. Implant scheduled for April 17. Dr Terlecki Winston-Salem, NC

RJ1000

Postby RJ1000 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Dr. Aaron Lentz at Duke is held in high regard in North Carolina. I was going to see him but then decided to have my implant done with Dr. Kramer in Baltimore. I was implanted just last week.

When I called to make an appoint to see Dr. Lentz in November I was told that he could see me one month later for a consultation with surgery expected to take place two months after that.

I did find it difficult to reach anyone directly from Dr. Lentz's office. When I did speak to his office I was told that Dr. Lentz takes almost two hours to do an implant. I expect that information to be incorrect but it might be that his implant time is longer than Dr. Kramer's 20 minute prep and 20 or so minutes implant time.I say this has it is sometimes said that slower operation times increase the risk of infection.

Experience though is probably the most important thing to consider with an implant and although Dr. Lentz does quite a few, Dr. Kramer does around 500 a year and over 8,000 now in total. That level of experience is hard to beat.

If you want to stay in North Carolina only, Dr Lentz is a good choice and appears to be very capable. I would suggest that you consider Dr. Kramer though due to his extensive experience. If you drove, Baltimore is around a six in a half hour drive.

BTW, if you are looking for a local urologist in the Charlotte area with implant knowledge, Dr. Ashley Tapscott is excellent.

Good luck with your implant decision. This is the right place to ask questions.
Age 66. ED caused by Peyronie's with hourglass deformity 2016. Prostate Surgery 2017 and now cancer free. Implanted Jan/2019 by Dr. Kramer. AMS-700-CX (21.0 cm with 0.5 RTE).

LesNesman1

Postby LesNesman1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Not sure where you get that he takes 2 hours to do an implant.Unless there are complications ,it’s a 20-25 minute surgery.
ED for 28 years.Used all pills and injections until no other options worked.
Age-53
Implanted 4/19/17 by Dr. Aaron Lentz( Duke Urology)--22CM Titan no RTE's
Bionic Assault 6/12/17 and blew her doors off.

GruffHunter

Postby GruffHunter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 pm

LesNesman1 wrote:Not sure where you get that he takes 2 hours to do an implant.Unless there are complications ,it’s a 20-25 minute surgery.

Every Doc and med ctr is going to be different. I had one hour prep (Antiobiotic IV drip), and it was about two hours after that I was brought into recovery, with that two hours used for shaving/prep/operation.

I had no bruising, no swelling, no infection...and you couldnt tell anything had been done if not for the stitches. So...the lenggh of time should not be important one way or the other of a Doc has a system that works.
Gruff Hunter, 59, Titan (24 cm + 1 inch extenders) implanted by Dr Gross, 07 Jan 2017. Gay/open marriage, Chester, VT, USA

needhelp

Postby needhelp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 pm

RJ1000 wrote:Dr. Aaron Lentz at Duke is held in high regard in North Carolina. I was going to see him but then decided to have my implant done with Dr. Kramer in Baltimore. I was implanted just last week.

When I called to make an appoint to see Dr. Lentz in November I was told that he could see me one month later for a consultation with surgery expected to take place two months after that.

I did find it difficult to reach anyone directly from Dr. Lentz's office. When I did speak to his office I was told that Dr. Lentz takes almost two hours to do an implant. I expect that information to be incorrect but it might be that his implant time is longer than Dr. Kramer's 20 minute prep and 20 or so minutes implant time.I say this has it is sometimes said that slower operation times increase the risk of infection.

Experience though is probably the most important thing to consider with an implant and although Dr. Lentz does quite a few, Dr. Kramer does around 500 a year and over 8,000 now in total. That level of experience is hard to beat.

If you want to stay in North Carolina only, Dr Lentz is a good choice and appears to be very capable. I would suggest that you consider Dr. Kramer though due to his extensive experience. If you drove, Baltimore is around a six in a half hour drive.

BTW, if you are looking for a local urologist in the Charlotte area with implant knowledge, Dr. Ashley Tapscott is excellent.

Good luck with your implant decision. This is the right place to ask questions.

Thank you. I was considering Dr Kramer also. I did call the office and talk to one of his asst. There was a 6 week wait.They said the same as you you have your consultation ands your sugery the next. My questions is what did you do for your follow up after the surgery?
61 years old, single, Charlotte NC, Had a penile fracture. Implant scheduled for April 17. Dr Terlecki Winston-Salem, NC

needhelp

Postby needhelp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 pm

Im not sure if would be better to drive 3 hrs to see Dr Lentz or fly and hour and go see Dr Kramer. Im still going to follow up with Dr Natale also, who is the Dr already met with from Charlotte (Concord) It would be nice to meet with a few surgeons to get opinions but they are so spread out. I work full time. Getting time off is a PITA

needhelp

Postby needhelp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 pm

In doing my research I noticed the Dr I'm currently interviewing with (Dr Natale, Concord NC) is listed on the AMS site for surgeons. Another Dr in the urology group (Carolina Urology) his counter part, Dr Tapscott is listed on the Titan site for surgeons. Does this mean they are getting kick backs form the company ? I want a surgeon that is not bias with one company and will do what's best for me. I've been hearing a lot about AMS vs Titan. There's been a lot of stories about AMS with loss of size? Maybe that was the old AMS and not the new? I don't know. Im knew to this and I am scared as hell of making the wrong choice. I'm only met with Dr Natale one time. I'm going back to ask more question. I know I kind of ask this question before on this/other sites but does anyone have any thoughts or questions I should ask the Dr regarding his practice on makings the right choice. The other surgeons are spread out all over. Duke is 3 hrs away. Dr Lentz (Duke) as I understand is extremely difficult to see. Other choices I fly to Baltimore to see DR Kramer but then I have the follow up issues. I work full time. Trying to make this as realistic as possible. Hoping to become comfortable with a good surgeon out there, who is in a reasonable distance and who is great, as I know there are......
Also as a side note I may not have anybody to go to the hospital with me....do they require you have one? if so any options. I know Im not the first person with this issue

Lunatech

Postby Lunatech » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Check out Dr. Terlecki at Wake Forest Baptist Health in Winston Salem. I'm getting one done by him on 2/28 (as long as insurance covers it). He uses AMS and I'm getting the LGX. They do an average of 2-3 implant surgeries a week so he's fairly high volume. I can answer more questions if you have them this evening when I get home.
49 years old at time of implant, Suffering from ED 10+ years, Implant surgery 2/28/19 AMS 700 LGX 18cm with 4cm RTE by Dr. Terlecki at WFBMC in Winston Salem NC

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

needhelp wrote:It looks like I'm probably going to be getting an implant. I'm scared. Going to be a life changer. Been looking at Dr's. Has any one ever been treated or heard of Dr Natale in NC. Said he did over 100 last year. Please feel free to in box me if you'd feel better keeping things private. Also how do you find a good Dr? How do you know if there as good as they say? What questions do you ask? Im so scared about losing size. Love to get some feed back.

Needhelp,
Because I just had a surgery to move my pump you may want to tell your doctor to put yours at the bottom of your scrotum. Some guys like to pin it to your penis. Bad mistake you will never hang down naturally the pump will keep you raised up. As for size loss ask him to stretch you out in his office and show you. If he won't then you can worry
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

Return to “Implants”