My pre-op and LGX

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
tomas1

My pre-op and LGX

Postby tomas1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm

I saw my uro today for my pre-op for my implant on 01/22/19.
He asked if I had any concerns and I gave him several:

Can I get the LGX?
He said he always tries to use it unless there's excessive scarring, or cylinders are longer than 18cm.
I said I've always been 6" and shouldn't have a problem,
He reminded me he wouldn't know the whole length until he measured it all.
I notice that many others here fall into the sweet spot he wants, so that's encouraging.

Can I have the peno-scrotal method?
He said that should not be a problem.
I worry about the tubing routing that some have encountered.

Will I have to stay in the hospital over night?
He said he likes to do that to guard against infection.
I'd feel safer in my own home, but I'll go along.
At least I can get cathater removal and urinary stream monitored that way.

I want you be able to say this is one of my your best results.
Naturally he agreed with that.

I am to bathe each day with Hibiclens to ward off bacteria. Funny, I can't use it in the genital area.
I guess it at least prevents bacteria in general.

We tried to get the post-op prescriptions at Walmart but they denied the opioids due to the frequency or qty written. I guess it's for the common good like every other restriction put on everyone like TSA, baby formula, and cough meds.

This will be my first stay overnight in a hospital since I got my tonsils out 73 years ago.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Lost Sheep

Re: My pre-op and LGX

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Does your surgeon have all models on hand in the operating room? That is, if he determines that you would be better suited with something other than the LGX, would it be available on a moment's notice?

You are asking the appropriate questions. I would add questions about his philosophy about sizing (how far does he place the tips of the implant into the glans)?

Staying in the hospital until I had the catheter removed (by a professional - some men go home and remove it themselves, which I do not want to do because I have more confidence in their superior experience level) was more comfortable than my own bed would have been.

What are you going to do about the painkillers? Talking to the head pharmacist might get a waiver of the corporate restrictions once they understand that you are HAVING SURGERY!!!. The opioid restrictions are SUPPOSED to avoid overuse by chronic users for chronic pain.

Remember to take the hospital's plastic urinal home with you. Even while standing, urinating into that in the days after surgery is a lot easier since you will likely be partially inflated and aiming your stream may be problematic.

Most surgeons leave their patients partially inflated. What degree of inflation does your surgeon expect to leave you at, and what is the reasoning? How soon should you expect to start cycling the implant? There is some advantage to early activation (prevention of scar tissue forming a pseudo-capsule around the implant or the reservoir), but this is sometimes uncomfortable to the point of impossibility. What are his thoughts on the matter?

It seems to me from reports on FrankTalk that most men, especially immediately post-op, want to wear their penis pointed up and my surgeon recommended that posture - even provided a supporter (jock strap) to ensure a stable environment. Helped with the swelling, too, a bit.

Good luck.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks for the input, I forgot to ask some of the questions.
I think he's mostly an AMS guy, but he would use the CX (I think) in worst cases like scarring and size problems.
I guess I don't have a problem about that.

I mentioned to the pharmacist that I am having surgery and he said I could get 7 days worth instead of 5.
I have time to get that resolved.

Good advice about the plastic urinal. My "Little John" is on my bass boat.

Sorry about my mini-rant about all of us being inconvenienced due to actions of a few (not that the opioid epidemic isn't a LARGE problem). I suspect that a friend of mine may have died from that since he's been in severe pain for years and used lots of it.

Dammit, I should have mentioned my concern about encapsulation around cylinders, reservoir and pump.
Too bad they can't fill it all with saline and take some out later after things settle down.

I don't have to go out in public much so we'll see where the little guy likes to hang.
Wonder when I can play golf again?
Last edited by tomas1 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 years

Bionic Richard

Postby Bionic Richard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Just for clarification you might ask about pump placement and orientation.
Is the incision going to be horizontal or vertical mid-line.
What is the plan of you need more then 18 cm?
Men's anatomy very, the measured length outside as well as inside.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
1957 model, married 27yr first time 6 yr present,10/16 Retired,12/16 PSA 4.9, 1/17 Biopsy, 2/17 Gleason 4+3, 3/17 Robotic Prostatectomy, 4/17 PSA nondecetable, Penile therapy, pills/VED/Trimix, 5/25/18 AMS 700 LGX 21cm 3cm RTE.

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:07 pm

typically your measurement going scrotal will be between 10 and 11 centimeters. my AMS rep told me that's a sweet spot was exactly half. of course no one is exact but I was a little shorter and that works. if you go longer than 1/2 you might drupe you know hang down so that gives you 23 and 1/2 cm to shoot for before the LG X would be too long. But of course they make it in 21 centimeters so that's not even right. It sounds to me like your guy does not like to use RTE. that could be a problem. It very much limits your choices. There's no difference at all and the AMS products they're all the same length. So unless he's thinking about a Titan 18 cm is not an issue. 3 piece AMS products come in 15 centimeters 18 cm and 21 centimeters. And I'm pretty sure you can order I think it's a 23cm
I don't really care it's not a big deal. Most guys worried about scarring more than anything else
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 pm

My phone doesn't always record what I say. I said if you don't care it's not really a big deal. Most doctors are mostly worried about scarring. That's what most affects their decisions. Good luck
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't know the orientation of the incision. I guess I'll leave it up to the doc.

I mentioned that my "boys" have gotten pretty small and could that be a pump location problem.
He said "no" it might leave more room for the pump, I suppose under them. That would make sense.
I'm really placing a lot of trust in his judgement and I hope it's warranted.

I worry a little about scarring, but we'll have to see how that goes.
I feel at least I may not have appreciable scarring from using injections for 5 years.
I can pump (VED) up nice and straight and have no noticeable dents, etc.

Doc does worry about the droop so I guess he'll be careful measuring me.
He said he'd shoot something in to give me a great erection before doing final measurements.
I hope I'm KO'd when he does all that.
He did say I'd get the general anesthetic.
Hope I wake up.
85 years

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Bionic Richard wrote:Just for clarification you might ask about pump placement and orientation.
Is the incision going to be horizontal or vertical mid-line.
What is the plan of you need more then 18 cm?
Men's anatomy very, the measured length outside as well as inside.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Richard,
He would use the CX instead I believe.
85 years

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Tomas,
Today was the big day. How did it go? Let us know when you're feeling up to it

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm

DougAnd wrote:Tomas,
Today was the big day. How did it go? Let us know when you're feeling up to it

Yea, did you get to ask him the things you forgot prior to going in? Hope you are feeling ok.

Larry

Return to “Implants”