April 17th is D-Day

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Dogface

April 17th is D-Day

Postby Dogface » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am

Scheduled with Dr. Kramer on 4/17/19. Extremely nervous even though it's a few months away. Going to drive with wife 5.5 hours. How many days do most stay in Baltimore area? I'm thinking, overnight on 4/16, surgery 4/17, and leaving 4/18. Does this sound about right? Do most stay an extra day or two?

BTW I'm very happy we have this forum. I do value opinions.
RP surgery for PCa March 2011, rising PSA 2013, remission since 2014. Chronic ED since 2011 tried pills, VED, and injections. Implanted LGX 4/17/19 Dr. Kramer. On scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8. That's due to a slight curve.

Larry10625

Re: April 17th is D-Day

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Dogface wrote:Scheduled with Dr. Kramer on 4/17/19. Extremely nervous even though it's a few months away. Going to drive with wife 5.5 hours. How many days do most stay in Baltimore area? I'm thinking, overnight on 4/16, surgery 4/17, and leaving 4/18. Does this sound about right? Do most stay an extra day or two?

BTW I'm very happy we have this forum. I do value opinions.

You may want to hang around for three days. Don't be nervous... you have one of the best working on you. This doctor does revisions on some of the other great surgeons... that should say something about his ability. Relax... you and your wife are going to have a new hero. :)

Larry

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 pm

That sounds like a plan. Who will do the driving on the trip home? You will likely
1) not feel much like it,
2) probably will be taking some kind of pain medication that MIGHT impair your skills,
3) have some difficulty manipulating the gas, clutch (if you have one) and brakes, particularly if you need any emergency maneuvers and
4) will not enjoy sitting up for that long, especially if there are any bumps in the road surface.

Renting or borrowing an RV or a large car wherein you could lay down while someone else drives might be prudent.

If any circumstances might require you to stay close to Dr. Kramer an extra day or two, you should think about contingency plans. Unlikely, but possible.

Good luck.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:That sounds like a plan. Who will do the driving on the trip home? You will likely
1) not feel much like it,
2) probably will be taking some kind of pain medication that MIGHT impair your skills,
3) have some difficulty manipulating the gas, clutch (if you have one) and brakes, particularly if you need any emergency maneuvers and
4) will not enjoy sitting up for that long, especially if there are any bumps in the road surface.

Renting or borrowing an RV or a large car wherein you could lay down while someone else drives might be prudent.

If any circumstances might require you to stay close to Dr. Kramer an extra day or two, you should think about contingency plans. Unlikely, but possible.

Good luck.

Agreed !!!

Dogface

Postby Dogface » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:16 am

Received medical questionnaire from Dr. Kramer's office. Wow, very comprehensive. Consultation 10 am on Tuesday 4/16 with surgery 4/17 at 5.30 am. Looks like I'll be spending 4 or 5 days in Baltimore. Concerned some about 5.5 hour drive home. I have a electric Cadillac ELR which seat does not fold all the way back. Will be upright entire trip. Will probably buy some type of a donut to sit on.

Are pain meds difficult to acquire while in Baltimore?
Will I need to send Medicare Part B an advance notification?
Are there stitches which need to be removed?

Of course, these are questions which will be addressed at the Doctors office. Still two months out. Will be seeing a local Oncologist tomorrow to arrange for advance testing (EKG, blood work, etc) Appears Dr. Kramer wants these test completed 30 days prior to surgery.

Very nervous.
RP surgery for PCa March 2011, rising PSA 2013, remission since 2014. Chronic ED since 2011 tried pills, VED, and injections. Implanted LGX 4/17/19 Dr. Kramer. On scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8. That's due to a slight curve.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Dogface wrote:Received medical questionnaire from Dr. Kramer's office. Wow, very comprehensive. Consultation 10 am on Tuesday 4/16 with surgery 4/17 at 5.30 am. Looks like I'll be spending 4 or 5 days in Baltimore. Concerned some about 5.5 hour drive home. I have a electric Cadillac ELR which seat does not fold all the way back. Will be upright entire trip. Will probably buy some type of a donut to sit on.

Are pain meds difficult to acquire while in Baltimore?
Will I need to send Medicare Part B an advance notification?
Are there stitches which need to be removed?

Of course, these are questions which will be addressed at the Doctors office. Still two months out. Will be seeing a local Oncologist tomorrow to arrange for advance testing (EKG, blood work, etc) Appears Dr. Kramer wants these test completed 30 days prior to surgery.

Very nervous.

Hey Dog... you have a great surgeon who seems to do his homework. Follow what he says and you will be just fine. On the way home, go back as far as you can and make sure you have some ice packs with you in the car in a cooler. That will help with pain. No more than 20 minutes on at a time though and make sure to take you meds right on schedule on the way home... you don't want the effects of the drugs wearing off in the car. To some of these doctors, implant surgery is like tonsillectomy to other surgeons... piece of cake. Nothing to be nervous of, you will be in good hands. Don't be surprised if he visits your hotel on his way home. :)

Larry

Return to “Implants”