Travel cost for implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Droopy

Travel cost for implant

Postby Droopy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm

If you traveled for an implant what were your out of pocket expenses for the hotel, food and any other, no need for air fares nor the cost of the surgery. How helpful was the surgeons office in the process?

Many thanks in advance.
67 years old, diabetic, implanted 03/21/19 ams lgx, Dr Knoll Nashville Tn.

newbie443

Re: Travel cost for implant

Postby newbie443 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 am

My hotel bill was $805.45. But I stayed 3 extra nights for a total of 7 nights. I flew in on Monday when I could have booked a flight very early on Tuesday. Good thing I did as there was bad weather on Tuesday. And I could have flown out on Saturday but waited till Monday for extra time to recover. And I bought flight insurance in case there were complications that required a later flight out. I did not keep track of my food. I figured I needed to eat no mater where I was. I did take food items with me so I would have food to eat in my room after the surgery. My surgeon's office provided me with a list of places to stay that gave discounts for medical stays. Public transportation was very cheep at about a $1 and I used it when I arrived. But it required additional walking and I used a cab when I left. $35 and I tipped the driver $5 for handling my baggage as it was over the limit for what I was supposed to lift. I went by myself so no one was there to lift my bags or get meals for me. The place I stayed did not have room service.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

justanotherdrumber

Re: Travel cost for implant

Postby justanotherdrumber » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Droopy wrote:If you traveled for an implant what were your out of pocket expenses for the hotel, food and any other, no need for air fares nor the cost of the surgery. How helpful was the surgeons office in the process?

Many thanks in advance.

First, try to plan at least 30 days in advance. Needing lodging "immediately" and/or on weekends can be more costly. Airfare can be more costly this way as well.

Secondly, IF you can avoid peak vacation/tourism/major events you can often get better rates for off peak timing.

Next, ask IF a special hospital or medical rate is applicable for your stay.

Then, at least inquire if there is a weekly rate for the same room. Often there is. This can sometimes eliminate not having a room until 3:00PM check in time the day you arrive and possibly allow arrival the night before your office visit instead and may allow the luxury of an extra recovery dayat the end. Sometimes you can get a week for the cost of 4 normal days.

A 400 mile drive with road & bridge tolls including a 4 day stay, plus parking cab fare, tips and food for myself and my girlfriend cost approximately $1000.oo . We took some food and snacks with us for in the room, purchased groceries locally as needed, minimized concessions and room service; but did dine out some. Primarily we used convenience stoes and fast food outlets while traveling for lunches and coffee etc. .

If you're used to rural or suburban living dont underestimate what parking might cost in a metropolitan setting where parking space is at a premium. This might even influence whether to fly or drive to your destination.
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

Return to “Implants”