how did you choose your implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lester33

Re: how did you choose your implant?

Postby Lester33 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:59 pm

After reading on implants until dizzy and confused I was lucky enough to contact a FT member who gave me a show and tell along with answering questions. At that time my mind was made up to get a Coloplast Titan like car shopping I was impressed with what I saw and how it worked. Ended up having to switch urologists as the one I was using just wanted me to stay on shots which stopped giving any erection. My contact was also patient enough to answer all my, our questions going in and during surgery which in my opinion helped the outcome. I did not loose any size as my limp dick was wasting away from lack of use but did use a VED prior to surgery. We are very happy with everything now six months out and it keeps getting better and feels more natural to me and sex for us is great. Lots of opinions and advise on FT mine is just take your time to be sure of your decision and doctor, good luck.
IPP on 6/22/2018 by Dr. Perito, Miami, FL.
22cm Coloplast Titan, 2 RTE
Testosterone therapy
Cancer free seven years, married fifty years, wonderful sex life

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:
oldbeek wrote: Implant does not destroy erectile tissue. Some guys get natural erections with an implant.

I stand corrected. I have edited my post to read:

The operation to install an implant traumatizes - even sometimes destroys - erectile tissue.

Good way to state it. I also have said the erectile tissue may be destroyed, IF, you use an inexperienced surgeon that doesn't know what he is doing.. It depends highly on the skill of the surgeon.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

cincinnatus1951

Postby cincinnatus1951 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 pm

I didn't choose my implant, my surgeon did. I was pretty sure I wanted an AMS LGX. My surgeon said he uses both types and would like the latitude to decide based on my anatomy when he could see inside the penis. I woke up with an 18cm titan (Coloplast) and wife and I have been extremely happy with it.
cincinnatus
Age 79, Wife 77 Married 52yrs RPP Dr Brian Miles, Houston Methodist, July 2013. Used VED, pills, MUSE, and trimix with no or mixed results. 18cm Titan, one RTE by Dr Mohit Khera, Baylor, Houston, Jan 2016

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:
justaguy wrote:Hi everyone;
I have a surgery date march 13th assuming medicare approves an implant. I have read and read and read about the titan and the AMS 700 and honestly dont know how to choose which one would suit me better.
I am very interested in hearing successes and failures of both devices.
Also I was saddened to hear I may lose a half inch of length in this surgury. Does that happen? I have 2 months, i ordered a pump, is that enough time to make any differenc? Thank you to all of you, this is a great resource.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for asking our advice.

How long has you been researching implants? Are you absolutely sure an implant is the optimal solution for you right now?

I am second-guessing you. Please do not be offended. Your question suggests to me that you have not sufficiently researched 1) ED solutions, 2) your Doctor and 3) the pros and cons of the different models of implants.

We do need more information if you want us to just make suggestions. For instance, do you have Peyronies' disease or other structural considerations in your penis? Size of your erection (larger penises benefit from the Coloplast Titan's greater moment of inertia and average-to-smaller penises benefit from the AMS LGX or CX greater flexibility when flaccid - the Titan can be problematic/uncomfortable in that regard).

Your surgeon telling you up front to expect to lose size is a bad indicator (to my mind). If he is simply guarding against unrealistic expectations (as a personal style) that would be one thing. If he detects some problem with your penis in particular, that is another thing. If he is so lacking in confidence in his surgical skills that he EXPECTS to lose 1/2" that is entirely another. If you don't know your surgeon well enough to tell or well enough to ask, then you might want to wait until you do or find another surgeon with whom you have a better communication relationship.

An implant destroys erectile tissue. There is no going back for a "do-over". There is no second chance at the first implant and irreversible changes WILL occur.

Tell us more about your situation and the next answer I give will be a lot more optimistic, I promise you.
. Implant does not destroy erectile tissue. Some guys get natural erections with an implant.

Absolutely... with all of the surgery and crap I have had done and I still am able to get my little guy dancing like I did when I was a teenager... unfortunately, it was not stiff enough to penetrate anything (including apple pie) :lol: :lol:

Larry

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 am

I am not sure about the Coloplast, but I have had two AMS products. The second was the AMS 700 LGX and it gave me a bionic dick. I regained the size I had lost from the first implant. The girth is awesome. But I do prefer to have sex with it not fully inflated. I think fully inflated is just too stiff, rock hard. The cylinders installed on the revision were 18cm plus 3. What I like about the LGX is that it looks so natural erect or flaccid. Stays at about seven inches flaccid and eight erect.

I did have problems with the MS pump and it is getting replaced in Feb. I had problems from the start until it just stayed in the open valve position. AMS said it was not a common thing for them to break, but it can happen.
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:04 am

oldbeek wrote:
Lost Sheep wrote:
oldbeek wrote: Implant does not destroy erectile tissue. Some guys get natural erections with an implant.

I stand corrected. I have edited my post to read:

The operation to install an implant traumatizes - even sometimes destroys - erectile tissue.

Good way to state it. I also have said the erectile tissue may be destroyed, IF, you use an inexperienced surgeon that doesn't know what he is doing.. It depends highly on the skill of the surgeon.

One surgeon I interviewed told me that they routinely remove all the cavernosum tissue.

Apparently some schools of thought believe that the cavernosum tissue no longer has any purpose and could be a liability after installing an implant

I did not use that surgical team.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 am

RayChez wrote:I am not sure about the Coloplast, but I have had two AMS products. The second was the AMS 700 LGX and it gave me a bionic dick. I regained the size I had lost from the first implant. The girth is awesome. But I do prefer to have sex with it not fully inflated. I think fully inflated is just too stiff, rock hard. The cylinders installed on the revision were 18cm plus 3. What I like about the LGX is that it looks so natural erect or flaccid. Stays at about seven inches flaccid and eight erect.

I did have problems with the MS pump and it is getting replaced in Feb. I had problems from the start until it just stayed in the open valve position. AMS said it was not a common thing for them to break, but it can happen.

I have now spoken with Dr's Perito, Kramer, Eid and Brock. All 4 implant using AMS and Coloplast. All but 1 says that the Coloplast is best for severe peyronie's and guys with giant penis's (over 7") For all others the AMS is the way to go. Also, all agree that the final decision should be made while the patient is on the OR table and the surgeon can see all of the anatomy he is working on. :)

Larry

nbriley

Postby nbriley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:50 pm

My doctor chose for me in the end, I am extremely satisfied with my AMS CX, both girth and length, I used a VED for 3 months before surgery and after surgery at my doctor,s suggestion and I have urges thru out the day, a lot of feeling and even erections, I was a diabetic, went thru kidney failure and dialasis, a double transplant, shots, I had a very good doctor who took his time and now over a year later, no one would know I have an implant, totally healed and no scars, I was de-sheathed. Get a really good doctor, I am very happy and wife is estatic
Pump, pills and Trimix no longer work
Surgery November 7, 2017 Dr Hakky. AMS CX

David_R

Postby David_R » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm

nbriley wrote:Get a really good doctor

That truly is the key!

DougAnd

Postby DougAnd » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm

I chose the LG X because it is the softest and grows the fastest. I didn't trust my surgeons not to shorten Me by 3/4 of an inch. I've discovered that by using vacuum therapy I can actually be one-quarter inch longer then the night before surgery. I've already reached an eighth of an inch longer than that but it's hard to maintain you have to be consistent and I'm not a consistent person. My surgeon intended to shrink me a half an inch but using the v e d I can actually be longer than I was. It took me two months to grow 1 and 5/8 in before my surgery. But you have to be very very aggressive. Most guys are not at all aggressive and they don't gain much of anything. You need to plan on using it at least three times a day and twice during the night. Before my surgery I only did 3 sets of 5 minutes in the morning and 3 sets of 5 minutes after work at night. I grew 1 and 5/8 in in less than 60 days. That was what I have lost over a. Of about 40 years good luck
LGX 18cm+3cmRTE 8 / 8/18 by Docs Saracino , Prody of FL Disfigured by Implant. Married 31 years, Functionally impotent 2+ years. 4" day of surgery now 7" inflated after VED 6.5" without. Pump moved 12/4/18 by Dr Kata

Return to “Implants”