BPH Prostate enlargement treatment options after implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
RelievedofED1

BPH Prostate enlargement treatment options after implant

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:54 am

Since my implant 3+ years ago I have developed significant BPH symptoms. It seems that several of the less invasive treatment options like Rezum or TUMA microwave therapy that have less sexual side effects are contraindicated if you have an implant. (Anyone have those anyway?) I am seeing a urologist that does urolift this week but wondered if anyone on the site has had BPH interventions with an implant already in place and can give me feedback. I am currently on meds for BPH and have side effects and less than perfect results. And know I can get a TURP resection but dont want the ejaculatory and continence side effects that are common with that. Thanks
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

WyoMan

Re: BPH Prostate enlargement treatment options after implant

Postby WyoMan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:28 am

Hello Relievedofed1,
I am suggesting you investigate Prostate Arterial Embolization. (PAE) They may not use it if your prostate is under 80 grams, but it might work for you. My prostate was 100 grams and so not a candidate for TURP. It is not very invasive and a very short recovery. The down side is it can be a couple of months before you see results. If it does not work for you any other procedure is still available.
I do have problems with ED (no natural erections) and few ejaculations. Problems with ejaculating are not listed as side effects of PAE and I don't know if it has anything to do with mine. And so I am looking at implant.
It is done by a Interventional Radiologist, and not urologist.
80; married 57 years; HBP well controlled, overweight. Prostate Arterial Embolization Jan 2017: No indication of cancer. Injections failed. Implanted Nov. 2, 2018. Dr. Karin Dolan, Billings, Mt. AMS LGX 15 cm+2 2.5 cm RTE. 65 ml reservoir.

Jawalt

Postby Jawalt » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58 am

Relieved,
I had BPH problems before and following my implant. I had Urolift clips (6) installed post implant. Easy process and it helped greatly. I still take Flomax and the end result is "adequate". It has been two years since the Urolift. I believe that someday I will have to have another, more invasive, procedure but for now, so far - so good. I think most BPH surgery procedures are still possible after Urolift but the procedures will destroy the clips. I have read on PAE and it is used a lot in Europe. They basically cut off the blood supply and starve the prostate to shrink. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Implanted Dec 2016 by Dr. Morey, UTSW Dallas. AMS 700. BPH caused problems so Supra Pubic Catheter and Urolift Prostate implants. End results great. Botched implant by Dr. in Waco, TX 2006. After 10 years, went to Dr. Morey who made me whole.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. None of my docs has mentioned PAE. May be because they don’t do it. My prostate is a little over 50 Gms so maybe why they mention Irolift or suck it up and take the side effects of the meds for minimal relief. I’m skeptical since no one offered injections or implant for ED way past when I should of and I’m already getting bladder changes consistent with obstruction. I’ll ask about PAE Wednesday when I see urolift doc.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

Return to “Implants”