time to pick a doc

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
ocitgo

Re: time to pick a doc

Postby ocitgo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:50 am

I used my urologist in my hometown. I have been with him for several yrs and he does surgery every 6 months to open my bladder neck caused by a TURP. He also prescribed Timix over these yrs. I've done well since. My precious urologist did the TURP that injured the bladder neck. He does more implants but I didn't use him. He was brash and didn't impress me.

I don't travel well because I have a very serious balance problem and need help. That would not have worked out.
ocitgo (Bob F), Bremerton, WA
Implanted 11/13/2017 AMS 700LGX 15 cm, leak, 3 cm rear tip
Implanted 06/17/2019 AMS 700LGX 18 cm, 1.5 cm rear tip

BillyBobTMS

Postby BillyBobTMS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Thank you all for the replies! I did not get any notifications ( I must have failed to click a button) so I didn't think there had been any until I finally logged back on just now to see what was happening.

Hakky in Atlanta certainly sounds like one more possibility, I will check him out. The testimonial's about success at Eid's web site had me thinking he would be the guy to go to right off the bat. But Atlanta sure would be more convenient. So would the guy just outside Birmingham(Christine). Plus, he sure has beautiful nurses and staff. I'm not sure if that is a pro or a con since I will be taking my broke and shrunk up self in for repair. ;)

Bill

nudist

Postby nudist » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:24 pm

alibaba wrote:The "official" opinion here seems to be anybody can do it. Look in the phone book under the heading urologist. Nobodies opinion of the doctor who did them well should weigh in. I shall not name who I had a adequate experience with to prevent a wrathful reply.

that's nonsense and you know it.
i read your rather critical post to larry. it started when larry admonished someone for putting out a position that, in essence, said "if you don't choose Eid, you have no one to blame but yourself, so don't complain". it came across as a scare tactic to drive others to pick dr eid.

while you contribute a great deal on here, and i respect you, i must point out that you are a highly critical person. you seem to me to look for a bicker fight.

larry does a good job of moderating (i didn't say perfect) and does not deserve your hostility. the statement you made here about "the official opinion here" is complete bullshit.
updated: 70 y.o., implanted with titan nov. 3 by Dr. Brady in orlando to correct peyronies. 20 cm with 3 cm RTEs. due to the severity of the peyronies, some internal excisions were made scrotally, recovery will probably take a little longer.

BillyBobTMS

Postby BillyBobTMS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Tybeeman wrote:Hakky. Easy to fly right into Atlanta from any where in the south he does both scrotal and pubic incision along with one at the head of the penis. All of these Dr. mention are great.

Incision at the head of the penis? What is that for? I had not heard of that? Is there some advantage to that approach? Sound painful(during recovery)

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:31 pm

oldbeek wrote:Alibaba, there is a topic where folks can mention their Dr and what they liked about them / results ect

Not reading every single thread nor threads all staying current, I was not aware there was a like a doctor thread. I am aware I get admonished if I mention the doctor I chose for care as do others.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

BillyBobTMS

Postby BillyBobTMS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 pm

nudist wrote:
alibaba wrote:The "official" opinion here seems to be anybody can do it. Look in the phone book under the heading urologist. Nobodies opinion of the doctor who did them well should weigh in. I shall not name who I had a adequate experience with to prevent a wrathful reply.

that's nonsense and you know it.
i read your rather critical post to larry. it started when larry admonished someone for putting out a position that, in essence, said "if you don't choose Eid, you have no one to blame but yourself, so don't complain". it came across as a scare tactic to drive others to pick dr eid.

while you contribute a great deal on here, and i respect you, i must point out that you are a highly critical person. you seem to me to look for a bicker fight.

larry does a good job of moderating (i didn't say perfect) and does not deserve your hostility. the statement you made here about "the official opinion here" is complete bullshit.

As a retired medical pro, I agree that none of us can give a knowledgeable rating of a doc just because we had a good- or even bad- end result with the guy we used. We can not really know how the average patient is doing with our doc, we can only know how we did. In fact, I know from experience, even the OR crew can not really know. We can know which surgeons appear to get the job done with out struggle. And every one on the OR crews rate fast surgeons more highly than those who take all day to get the job done. Also, we know that the more experienced and skilled the surgeon becomes, almost always the faster he becomes. And the faster the surgeon gets his job done, the less time there is for some anesthesia complication or for a stray bug to find it's way into the surgical field and cause an infection. So the anesthesia and OR crews generally prefer and rate higher the faster surgeons, but we can not really know how well these patients are doing during the weeks after that fast surgeon gets done with them.

But, if one doc has a whole bunch of patients loving the job he did and few or none hating it, that is a sign. Certainly no proof of anything, but a positive sign. So while I ask for opinions and appreciate the responses, I also realize the limitations of that advice. Still, thanks for any advice!

BillyBobTMS

Postby BillyBobTMS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Oh, and BTW, is it against the rules to ask for recommendations on specific docs? If so, my apologies!

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm

I agree with you BillyBob. The first surgeon I had was regarded as near a saint on this sight which was the reason I called him. Had I researched further, I would have found threads of others horror stories. Out of 26 surgeries and counting, it was the most horrific experience I've ever had. It would be useful to allow all to voice their opinion without attack so everyone can weigh the options. Any time a person can avoid doing this 2 or 3 times to get it right is progress. I tossed it last winter but I had a file folder with bad experiences others had sent me on the first surgeon when another member said he was putting together a multi party suit. Study well. Remember satisfactory for some is low quality work to others. A crappy outcome is just that. I went to the point of asking nurses for their opinion in choosing the surgeon i'll have the 21st.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:03 pm

BillyBobTMS wrote:Oh, and BTW, is it against the rules to ask for recommendations on specific docs? If so, my apologies!

No BillyBob, it is not against the rules to ask those questions. The problems arise when the answers are so long, they become commercials. To say that a doctor did a great job, answered all my questions and I had an easy recuperation is completely acceptable. More than that can be sent to you in a private message. Hope this helps. :)

Larry

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:49 pm

I believe I know the answer to my question but I'll throw it out there anyhow.
My urologist in Phoenix would be very convenient if and probably when, I opt for an implant.

He actually suggested an implant the first time I saw him to get started on injections.

On FT I saw one member who had been implanted by him and he nearly died from septic shock. I think that's what the infection was called?

Anyhow, he had to spend time in the hospital and even had a line going directly to his heart for some reason.
He was self insured and the experience nearly (or maybe did) bankrupt him.

His was the only experience I'm aware of from my doc, and I guess I have already answered my question of whether to use him for the surgery.

If I knew he was the 1% unfortunate one, it would be easier to accept, but I don't like the small sample size.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Return to “Implants”