Deflating AMS

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
oldbeek

Deflating AMS

Postby oldbeek » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 am

Watching the video from Boston Scientific, I got the impression that all I had to do was squeeze the deflate button for 4 seconds and it would stay in the deflate mode. Not so. I could not get totally deflated. My Dr showed me that after the first squeeze it would deflate to reservoir pressure. If I wanted to deflate further I had to continue to hold the button down as I squeezed the fluid out with the other hand. Just passing it on.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Quincy

Re: Deflating AMS

Postby Quincy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:48 am

Thanks, beek. I get my AMS tomorrow. Will be a while before I deflate, but this is good info.

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 am

Actually, if you have pressed the deflate button sufficiently to "kick it over", the deflate valve will stay in deflate mode and it will no longer be necessary to hold the button down to continue deflation. But the length of time the button is depressed is irrelevant. IT is how DEEP the button is depressed, not how long.

Try this and prove it for yourself:

From the fully inflated condition, press on the deflate button just until you feel the vibration of fluid running through the valve-and no more than that. If you release the button. the vibration should stop and if you press again it should resume.

Ultimately, the resumption will not occur. That means the reservoir pressure is about equal to the pressure inside the implant, as the AMS representative said.

At this point, press the deflate button harder, until you feel a faint pop. This is the valve kicking over into deflate mode AND STAYING in the deflate position.

Now, if you squeeze your penis (and the implant tubes inside it) you should feel a resumption of the vibration as flow from the implant into the reservoir resumes.

My AMS rep said the same thing about the 4 seconds. They are wrong. The amount of time the button is depressed is completely irrelevant. The distance the deflate button is depressed is what governs whether the deflation valve is momentarily open or permanently open

It is sad when the factory rep/patient liaison is not intimately familiar with his company's product.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks Lostsheep. It is frustrating when the video they put out is wrong. I will try your method. I think I did it that way once and am confused because I could never duplicate it. Last night I was pumped a little to tight and sever pain started during sex. I stopped and pushed the release button. Felt the vibration. BUT , I let to much out. Tried to resume but to soft. Thought I could just give it a few new pumps. bulb would not depress at all. hard as a rock. What mode was I in??? Screw it. I just gave up. This thing really pisses me off when I don't even know how it works.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:18 am

oldbeek wrote:Thanks Lostsheep. It is frustrating when the video they put out is wrong. I will try your method. I think I did it that way once and am confused because I could never duplicate it. Last night I was pumped a little to tight and sever pain started during sex. I stopped and pushed the release button. Felt the vibration. BUT , I let to much out. Tried to resume but to soft. Thought I could just give it a few new pumps. bulb would not depress at all. hard as a rock. What mode was I in??? Screw it. I just gave up. This thing really pisses me off when I don't even know how it works.

I hjave heard that sometimes the valve locks up and allows no flow either direction. I have never experienced this. The fix is to press the deflate button deeply and squeeze the penis until the deflation flow resumes. Then you shold be able to re-inflate.

With my AMS, the first pump after a full deflation is always hard because I have to kick the valve from deflate mode into inflate mode. With my implant this always takes two pumps. One pump is hard and I get the bulb compressed about 50% more or less. The next pump starts hard but then "pops" as the valve kicks into inflate mode and the bulb collapses completely. After that, the next pump is not quite so easy and each pump gets progressively stiffer as the implant gets inflated and the back pressure is greater. Simple hydraulics there.

The valve is mysterious. I think I would rather have a simple rocker switch. Press up to inflate and press down to deflate.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

David_R

Postby David_R » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:58 am

And I have learned that "squeeze the penis" is most effectively done by squeezing like you're milking a cow (if when you're deflating you hold your penis with the little finger touching the base). But if you (like I do) when you're deflating hold your penis with the thumb touching the base, then you "reverse milk a cow" (?). Either way, what is needed is to push fluid from the top of the penis down to the base of the penis and a bit further down.

"Reverse milk a cow" :lol:

Happy Toy

Postby Happy Toy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 am

David_R wrote:And I have learned that "squeeze the penis" is most effectively done by squeezing like you're milking a cow (if when you're deflating you hold your penis with the little finger touching the base). But if you (like I do) when you're deflating hold your penis with the thumb touching the base, then you "reverse milk a cow" (?). Either way, what is needed is to push fluid from the top of the penis down to the base of the penis and a bit further down.

"Reverse milk a cow" :lol:

I hope the Coloplast isn't that complicated :cry: ! That would really kill the moment :( .
Andy
Implanted 6/26/2018, Coloplast Titan 20cm, no RTE'S, infra pubic, Dr. Rhee, Kaiser :o 8-) 79yrs., married 56 yrs. ED for over 20 yrs.

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:57 am

Good thread with great info. Thanks, all. Today's the day.

Quincy.
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:23 am

Quincy wrote:Thanks, beek. I get my AMS tomorrow. Will be a while before I deflate, but this is good info.

Quincy

Good luck my bionic brother. May god guide the hands of your skilled surgeon.

Larry

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am

Lost Sheep wrote:Actually, if you have pressed the deflate button sufficiently to "kick it over", the deflate valve will stay in deflate mode and it will no longer be necessary to hold the button down to continue deflation. But the length of time the button is depressed is irrelevant. IT is how DEEP the button is depressed, not how long.

Try this and prove it for yourself:

From the fully inflated condition, press on the deflate button just until you feel the vibration of fluid running through the valve-and no more than that. If you release the button. the vibration should stop and if you press again it should resume.

Ultimately, the resumption will not occur. That means the reservoir pressure is about equal to the pressure inside the implant, as the AMS representative said.

At this point, press the deflate button harder, until you feel a faint pop. This is the valve kicking over into deflate mode AND STAYING in the deflate position.

Now, if you squeeze your penis (and the implant tubes inside it) you should feel a resumption of the vibration as flow from the implant into the reservoir resumes.

My AMS rep said the same thing about the 4 seconds. They are wrong. The amount of time the button is depressed is completely irrelevant. The distance the deflate button is depressed is what governs whether the deflation valve is momentarily open or permanently open

It is sad when the factory rep/patient liaison is not intimately familiar with his company's product.

If you have the same one I do, she replaced Rich... she is fairly new.

Larry

Return to “Implants”