Biking after Implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Eveready

Re: Biking after Implant

Postby Eveready » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Hi Rancher,
So far for me the adjustment to the ISM involves just the same type of discomfort on the bones as the previous saddle did at first, just in a different place. Yesterday was better than Thursday, though it was only a short hour's climbing.
But I'm very lucky in that the guy who restored my 42-year old frame has kind of adopted me and happens to be a frame builder, bike mechanic and trainer of various Aussie, Commonwealth, World and Olympic competitors, so he knows how to set up a bike. A few tweaks on the saddle yesterday and I didn't really feel it at all. But we'll see when I ride longer.
And Vince, I'm no expert at all. The reasons I got a PN rather than a PR was some on-line comments on the latter from guys who complained about it being uncomfortably wide between the legs. That, and ISM's own suggestion that the PN line is favoured by climbers, and that it has least padding of the range. (I find that padding is pretty much a squirming distraction unless you're sitting back no your glutes on a beach cruiser or some such.)
Plus, it was on special at WIggle ...
Not that I'm a climber: at 3 inches shorter and 20 lb heavier than you, going up hills is something that I force myself to do so that I can build up a bit of strength for the flats!
And bearing in mind that the whole ISM philosophy is that you're doing without the usual saddle nose, it may well be that the guys complaining about the PR width are sitting too far back on it. I think there's 2 cm difference across the widest part - 110 v 130 mm - which isn't where you're supposed to be carrying your weight on them, anyway. If it's any help, the nose of the PN is about 6 cm at the front opening, widening to 8 cm where the 2 forks join the saddle body.
But it sounds like you're already at racing greyhound dimensions and just need a few miles to sharpen up with, eh?
Meanwhile, it's back to the heavy training regimen for me:
drinking-beer-tour-de-france.jpg
drinking-beer-tour-de-france.jpg (105.17 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

(Note the BULGE...)
Melbourne, Oz. Radical prostatectomy & titan implant at 60. Size uncertain, but big enough to hang onto. Nah, it's huge!

VinceMH

Postby VinceMH » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:57 am

Eveready wrote:Hi Rancher,
And Vince, I'm no expert at all. The reasons I got a PN rather than a PR was some on-line comments on the latter from guys who complained about it being uncomfortably wide between the legs. That, and ISM's own suggestion that the PN line is favoured by climbers, and that it has least padding of the range. (I find that padding is pretty much a squirming distraction unless you're sitting back no your glutes on a beach cruiser or some such.)
(Note the BULGE...)

I have been looking at the ISM saddles for days, comparing shape and dimensions, and agonizing over spending $200! ISM will let you demo a saddle for $20, so I ordered the PN 3.1 which looks to have the largest opening for the boys and their new playmate to hang free. I put my bike in the trainer last night and got on. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but there was enough pressure on the sack that I would not be able to ride long. Will report back when I get the ISM.
59 yrs, single, healthy, active. Progressive ED for 30 years, venous leakage, prostate cancer, RALP June 2017. Trimix works, but doesn't fit the travel lifestyle. Implanted 4/24/2018, Titan 20 + 2 by Dr Wang at MD Anderson.

rancher

Postby rancher » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 am

Eveready, you're too much.

Vince, I was testing some saddles with the bike in a trainer and thought, "not too bad". Went out for a real ride and it felt quite a bit different. Nothing duplicates the real thing. If you already have the saddle, take it out for a real ride before you buy it.

My recumbent came in and should be set up in a couple of days. It'll be interesting to see the difference in performance between the Waterford and the Bacchetta.
Implanted with Titan by Dr. Higuchi at Colorado University Hospital on April 27th, 2018.
65 years young.

VinceMH

Postby VinceMH » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:44 am

rancher wrote:Eveready, you're too much.

Vince, I was testing some saddles with the bike in a trainer and thought, "not too bad". Went out for a real ride and it felt quite a bit different. Nothing duplicates the real thing. If you already have the saddle, take it out for a real ride before you buy it.

My recumbent came in and should be set up in a couple of days. It'll be interesting to see the difference in performance between the Waterford and the Bacchetta.

I'll definitely road test it before spending $200! Post a pic of the recumbent. Interested in seeing what you got. Who made it? How much?
59 yrs, single, healthy, active. Progressive ED for 30 years, venous leakage, prostate cancer, RALP June 2017. Trimix works, but doesn't fit the travel lifestyle. Implanted 4/24/2018, Titan 20 + 2 by Dr Wang at MD Anderson.

rancher

Postby rancher » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:59 am

https://www.bacchettabikes.com/bike/giro-20-att/

Picked this one because it will be easier to ride and it's a "do everything" type bike.
I always "personalize / modify" my bikes. I've already got lighter wheels, faster and lighter tires, different crankset, and a few other things. I'm just looking for comfort, ease of riding, and somewhat zippy. My style of riding. Haven't done a "100 miler" for a while. Need to build back up to it.

Everready, what do you think Richie Porte's chances are in the Tour ?
Implanted with Titan by Dr. Higuchi at Colorado University Hospital on April 27th, 2018.
65 years young.

Eveready

Postby Eveready » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 am

VinceMH wrote:I have been looking at the ISM saddles for days, comparing shape and dimensions, and agonizing over spending $200! ISM will let you demo a saddle for $20, so I ordered the PN 3.1 which looks to have the largest opening for the boys and their new playmate to hang free. I put my bike in the trainer last night and got on. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but there was enough pressure on the sack that I would not be able to ride long. Will report back when I get the ISM.

Vince, I'm finding that pretty much the entire package from scrotum forward hangs in front of the ISM. As you can imagine, it's quite a relief! So, I'm optimistic that one will suit you.
And Rancher, Richie's got to be a fair chance, although BMC aren't as strong a team as Sky. Maybe he can suddenly realise that he's asthmatic ...
Melbourne, Oz. Radical prostatectomy & titan implant at 60. Size uncertain, but big enough to hang onto. Nah, it's huge!

VinceMH

Postby VinceMH » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 am

I'm biking again!!! Woo Hoo!!! :D :D :D

Got the ISM PN 3.1 saddle installed yesterday, a few adjustments, then out for a 7 mile ride. I could not believe the difference from the old saddle. My pump hangs comfortably right in between the split nose. It is definitely a different feel from a traditional saddle. The nose of the ISM is 3" back from my traditional seat. Your sit weight is slightly forward of the sit bones you're used to using. And of course there is no pressure on soft tissue. It will take a while to get used to the positioning of my weight, but I can tell I will like it. Highly suggested seat for any bikers out there!!

Thanks to all my biking brothers for your contributions to this post!!

rancher

Postby rancher » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 am

Congrats.

My ISM saddle is the only one I'm comfortable on. Slowly getting used to using different sit-bones, but my "stuff" is comfortable. It's good to be riding again. If you truly love biking, this saddle is worth the money.
65 years young.

Eveready

Postby Eveready » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:45 am

Glad it's working for you two. Me, too. The sit bones seem to have acclimatised quickly, and while I couldn't spend hours at a time in the drops, I can do a few Ks in them if I have to.
And I have - wicked north winds for the last couple of weeks here in Melbourne. And cold too: only around 10-14ºC.

dumasjc

Postby dumasjc » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:26 pm

After reading some of the posts I was quite concerned about having the implant surgery as I ride an average of
100 miles a week on road and mountain bikes. I also do a couple of century rides a year. On October 28th I had the AMS 700 CX implanted. After 2 weeks I started activating it daily. I was given permission to start riding again Dec 8th.
Both my bikes were already set up with the specialized power pro seats. My first road bike ride was an 18 mile ride and I was more sore in my sit bones, since I had not ridden in about 3 months. In the last 2 weeks I have ridden about 150 miles between my road and mountain bike. Each ride gets easier and more comfortable. The only change I made on my seat was dropping the nose down 2 degrees and lowering the seat about 1/2 inch. I am very pleased with the results of my surgery and my ability to ride like I was before surgery. I know everyone will have different results, but I think with the right saddles and proper adjustments you should be able to return to biking after surgery.

Return to “Implants”