Bad experience with malleable/sem-rigid implant--had it removed

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Boyce123

Bad experience with malleable/sem-rigid implant--had it removed

Postby Boyce123 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:28 am

I am a 62-year old healthy, happily married male that had a radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer that left me with ED. After four years of trying drugs and external pumps and just living with it, I opted for the implant route. My Urologist seemed unwilling to steer me in one direction or another, and I decided on the simplest one, the malleable or semi-rigid implant. He assured me that the newer version was fully concealable and that I'd be happy with it. Not so. I had it installed 7 weeks ago, and after all was healed and settled down I found it impossible to conceal, and very uncomfortable. I teach college, so when lecturing I had to routinely step behind the podium and discreetly push it back down. Anytime I stood up from sitting down I had to push it down. Because it was always stiff, the head (glans) was constantly rubbing against my pants. At first that made it sore, but gradually it became desensitized, which is the last thing you want in your glans. The rods put internal pressure on the inside of the glans, which was very uncomfortable when bending over. With the whole thing sticking out I was constantly worried about bumping it into something, and had to be very careful when giving anyone a hug. Also the rods put pressure on my urethera, which made it slow to urinate again, just like back when I had the enlarged prostate.

All in all, I'm surprised that anyone would want to live with that thing. Some seem content with it, but their experience sounds very different from mine. I wish my Urologist had given me better advice or a more complete picture, and I wish I had talked to someone with the implant.

Yesterday I went back in to surgery and had the malleable removed and the AMS 700 LGX installed in its place. I'll weigh in after this has healed and let you know how it goes, but from the sound of things I'm surprised anyone is installing anything other than the 3-piece inflatables. I'm already relieved to not have a permanent erection (after 4 years without one at all...)

That's my story. I hope I have helped steer someone away from the malleable implant.
62 yr. old male had prostatetectomy which caused ED. Had malleable (semi-rigid) implant installed but very unhappy with it. Had it removed 7 wks. later and 3- pc. inflatable installed.

Larry10625

Re: Bad experience with malleable/sem-rigid implant--had it removed

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:36 am

Boyce123 wrote:I am a 62-year old healthy, happily married male that had a radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer that left me with ED. After four years of trying drugs and external pumps and just living with it, I opted for the implant route. My Urologist seemed unwilling to steer me in one direction or another, and I decided on the simplest one, the malleable or semi-rigid implant. He assured me that the newer version was fully concealable and that I'd be happy with it. Not so. I had it installed 7 weeks ago, and after all was healed and settled down I found it impossible to conceal, and very uncomfortable. I teach college, so when lecturing I had to routinely step behind the podium and discreetly push it back down. Anytime I stood up from sitting down I had to push it down. Because it was always stiff, the head (glans) was constantly rubbing against my pants. At first that made it sore, but gradually it became desensitized, which is the last thing you want in your glans. The rods put internal pressure on the inside of the glans, which was very uncomfortable when bending over. With the whole thing sticking out I was constantly worried about bumping it into something, and had to be very careful when giving anyone a hug. Also the rods put pressure on my urethera, which made it slow to urinate again, just like back when I had the enlarged prostate.

All in all, I'm surprised that anyone would want to live with that thing. Some seem content with it, but their experience sounds very different from mine. I wish my Urologist had given me better advice or a more complete picture, and I wish I had talked to someone with the implant.

Yesterday I went back in to surgery and had the malleable removed and the AMS 700 LGX installed in its place. I'll weigh in after this has healed and let you know how it goes, but from the sound of things I'm surprised anyone is installing anything other than the 3-piece inflatables. I'm already relieved to not have a permanent erection (after 4 years without one at all...)

That's my story. I hope I have helped steer someone away from the malleable implant.

Boyce;
Although there maybe 1 or 2, of the nearly 7000 members, I don't know of any that have it.

Larry

Boyce123

Postby Boyce123 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 am

I wish I had found out more, and I wish my doctor had been more informative. The reason I opted for it was the simplicity. Nothing to fail. But instead it was a failure from the start. I really think it should be taken off the market.
62 yr. old male had prostatetectomy which caused ED. Had malleable (semi-rigid) implant installed but very unhappy with it. Had it removed 7 wks. later and 3- pc. inflatable installed.

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 am

Boyce,
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but really happy to hear you now have an LGX. I think you will be thrilled.
I am really surprised any doc would recommend or install one of the maleables unless there were extenuating circumstances.
Best wishes. You’ll love it.
Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Boyce. Thank you very much for telling us about your experience. I go in for an implant in June. I thought a little about the malleable for a while. It seemed simpler in some ways - no pump, fewer parts. I decided against it, but your story helps me know I did the right thing. It will also help others that come here that have not made a decision as yet.

I hope you love the new implant. Thanks for sharing your story.

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:05 pm

Most of the time the malleables are used for ppl who don’t have hands that are strong enough to pump a three piece. Also to leave in after an infection for a while until a 3 piece can be inserted. I’m glad you got an lgx now I’m sure you’ll be happy.

Donnie1954

Postby Donnie1954 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:50 am

Pumping up your dick is more like an erection. I can't imagine a maleable implant unless their was no choice. Sometimes it's a lazy doctor. Glad you had it removed. You will be so pleased with your LGX.
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 64 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Check out, 'DD Bryan. My implant journey, Wit and Wisdom, Stretching routine, Implant Pics, Natural Hang. Live in Ga.

Limpbizcit

Postby Limpbizcit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 am

I have a malleable now, after my ams became infected. This thing is only good for holding the space until I can get a three piece. I was better off before my first surgery. Though I could not maintain an erection without constant stimulation, at least I could penetrate my ex wife. I wanted this to work to avoid another surgery, but theres no way I can keep this unless I plan on never having vaginal sex again. I also have to be aware of it pointing outward during the course of the day. I would be able to live with that if it was useable.
Age 47. ED for over 20 years. Diagnosed with Hypogonadism. Pills and trimix do not work consistently. Implanted with 24cm AMS CX 12/12/17. Infected implant removed and replaced with AMS Spectra 2/18/18. Implanted with 26CM Titan 10/02/18. So far so good.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Limpbizcit wrote:I have a malleable now, after my ams became infected. This thing is only good for holding the space until I can get a three piece. I was better off before my first surgery. Though I could not maintain an erection without constant stimulation, at least I could penetrate my ex wife. I wanted this to work to avoid another surgery, but theres no way I can keep this unless I plan on never having vaginal sex again. I also have to be aware of it pointing outward during the course of the day. I would be able to live with that if it was useable.

The 6 months between my infection and the second implant, I had nothing... I'm fine.

Larry

Limpbizcit

Postby Limpbizcit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello Larry.

Hopefully I will be fine too.
Age 47. ED for over 20 years. Diagnosed with Hypogonadism. Pills and trimix do not work consistently. Implanted with 24cm AMS CX 12/12/17. Infected implant removed and replaced with AMS Spectra 2/18/18. Implanted with 26CM Titan 10/02/18. So far so good.

Return to “Implants”