How long did it take you guys to become psychologically adjusted to your implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Baseballfan11

How long did it take you guys to become psychologically adjusted to your implant?

Postby Baseballfan11 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm worried about getting an implant and then not feeling like my penis belongs to me anymore. Also idk about the cost for the device or insurance stuff. I'm scared!
26 years old. USA. ED problem since teenage years. Doctor prescribed ED meds showing some efficacy but not a guarantee. As much as I’d like the implant I now think I should hold off if I’m seeing some results from pills

radioradio

Re: How long did it take you guys to become psychologically adjusted to your implant?

Postby radioradio » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Baseballfan11 wrote:I'm worried about getting an implant and then not feeling like my penis belongs to me anymore. Also idk about the cost for the device or insurance stuff. I'm scared!

Baseballfan11,

Very valid concern. I have to say that for the first few weeks (maybe even a couple of months) it sort of didn't feel like it was really a part of me. I don't know when that stopped, but it did. Every time I take a leak I am reminded that the cylinders are in there, because I can feel them in and just behind my glans. Not a big deal, just there.
But every time I even think about what it is like to have a dick that doesn't cause anxiety, shame, disappointment, etc. I feel so freakin' good I want to tell the world. (Wifey won't allow that :shock: .) And every time I actually use it, well it's a part of me for sure.
PM any time.
Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

newbie443

Re: How long did it take you guys to become psychologically adjusted to your implant?

Postby newbie443 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 pm

Fear is extremely powerful. Do you have someone to talk to about this? I am not the most qualified person on this board but I do have another guy on this board that I have talked to and it really helps. Send me PM and we can exchange numbers and talk if you'd like. My family knows about mine and I talk to them about it a bit also.

I have not ever felt that it is not a part of me. It is different but it is me. We are all different though.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 am

The research I did in the months before my operation and the decades of E.D. made me completely ready. There was no psychological adjustment whatsoever required.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

CTR5000

Postby CTR5000 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:40 am

It honestly didn't require any adjustment for me whatsoever. Living with Erectile Dysfunction for so long; doing the best I could with ED pills, vacuum pumps, cock rings, and injections; the frustration of each of those therapies falling short of satisfying; the frustration of rarely being able to orgasm; not being able to physically satisfy my partner with the intimacy of penetration; not even being able to enjoy the satisfaction of masturbation; all of THOSE things were devastating at times. But from the very first appointment with my current urologist and his suggesting an implant, I was READY. Being rolled into the operating room a month later, I couldn't have been more thrilled that it was about to happen. Being discharged the next morning; recuperating for the next 5 weeks; each phase brought me closer and closer to seeing and feeling that my implant wasn't all I hoped it would be... it has FAR exceeded anything I ever imagined!

Anonymous3

Postby Anonymous3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:19 am

deleted by user
Last edited by Anonymous3 on Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg1956

Postby Greg1956 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:01 am

For me the psychological adjustment came before getting the implant. Just coming to terms with the fact my penis was never going to provide me with a fulfilling sex life and I would have to take drastic measures to be a happy, well-adjusted man was the big hurdle.

Once I had the surgery the adjusting was no longer in my head, but simply in giving my body time to get used to the new parts. At 7 months post-op it has just become part of me. Aside from when I am pumping or deflating, I rarely am physically aware of having an implant.

Greg
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 am

Baseballfan11 wrote:I'm worried about getting an implant and then not feeling like my penis belongs to me anymore. Also idk about the cost for the device or insurance stuff. I'm scared!

So, as far as adjusting to it and not feeling like it's part of me... it was never an issue. Laying on the gurney, waiting to go in to the OR, I was like a kid waiting for the snow to melt so I could ride my new bike. A nurse would come and start pushing the gurney and I would get really excited but then she would stop, a while later, the same thing, then finally Dr. Brock and Dr. Gan came out to talk to me about all the extra things they were doing to prevent infection. Next thing I knew, I was being wheeled in. I was soooooo happy. As for how it feels, except for when I am "using it" or on here, I seldom even think about it and it feels completely natural. Hey buddy, I know you are terrified, all of us were anxious, that's completely normal, but trust me, when people talk about pain, for most of us, pain was not really an appropriate word for it... it was more a discomfort that really didn't last very long at all. You are young so you will heal well, your skin is young so it will snap back perfectly and 6 weeks after your surgery, we will have to change your name to Bugs Bunny. A year from now you will be on of the members comforting a new member who is impotent and scared. Trust me. :)

Larry

DaveKell

Postby DaveKell » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 am

I can tell you that for me, the process of becoming psychologically adjusted to ED went on for 20 years. What it involved was so much frustration that, to this day, I am immensely surprised I never popped a blood vessel in my brain. Becoming adjusted to ED also involved gradually withdrawing from everything in life I used to find enjoyable, feeling vastly inferior to other men (whereas before I had achieved enviable success with my own business, used to have every toy I wanted, flew airplanes and collected high dollar guitars), feeling ashamed because I believed my inability to function like a man was always apparent to everyone by the downcast look that was always on my face, and also involved completely losing motivation to continue on the successful path I had achieved. After trying everything that was available to treat it, and failing every time, I sank into abject misery as I watched my manhood become a thing of the distant past.

As for HOW LONG IT TOOK TO become psychologically adjusted to an implant, about 20 seconds as compared to 20 years for ED. I was first told by a urologist 8 years ago an implant was my last option. I had never heard of them at that time. I walked out of his office pissed off at the entire world. Years later, and after finding this site, I realized I had forfeited another 8 years that I could have been having sex successfully. Three weeks after that I was home recovering from implant surgery. Fast forward another 6 weeks and it was like having sex again for the first time in my life. Better, stronger, much longer lasting sex that I was totally able to control. Sure, it took another couple of months to lose all awareness of the actual implant in my body. It's now my new normal, as it will become for everyone. Do I wish I still functioned "normally"? Well, all I can say is I now function the best I ever have.

The benefits psychologically are that my humorous personality is back, I ENJOY the parties, I look every woman I talk to in the eye with great confidence, and I have started another business in retirement ( which I became at age 58 because I just lost any desire for my trade I had thoroughly enjoyed my entire adult life). In addition, I started playing guitar in earnest again and attending a weekly jam session and doing something I never was able to before, that being singing at open mic nights. Along with that, I began writing songs to perform that have attracted the attention of two recording artists and that have had unbelievable praise heaped on them by two Nashville songwriter I know, each with over 40 years in the business and numerous songs recorded by many heavy weights. All of this because in 10 months I am completely psychologically adjusted to my implant. I wish you the best in your decision.
Became DaveKell 2.0 on July 18th with Dr. Allen Morey in Dallas, TX. AMS 700 CX implant. 18cm with 5.5 RTE's.

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 am

Dave,
Another great post! Thanks.
Bob (3.1, I guess)
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

Return to “Implants”