Titan Pump Trouble -- seeking advice!!

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Sensei

Re: Titan Pump Trouble -- seeking advice!!

Postby Sensei » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 am

Titan Guy,

To be clear, the story I am telling you may be unique to me, and might not be applicable to your situation. There is always a danger in assuming that the Internet solved our problems. Still, this might be relevant.

I got an implant on 5/30/2018 and had a similar experience 3 months later. I freaked out. I contacted the surgeon and requested that he bring the Coloplast Rep to my examination. My pump had essentially gone dead -- I could squeeze it with a heavy force and got a squishy response, followed by no significant filling of the cylinders.

Earlier, I was able to see a Coloplast PDF sent to physicians that basically said that if you are squeezing the pump and not getting a response, you have a leak, AND the unit MUST be replaced. So, at this point, I am feeling tha tI am doomed.

As I mentioned, I contacted my physician and requested that he have the Coloplast rep present in hopes of gaining a more comprehensive analysis of my situation. The conclusion of a well-known and experienced surgeon and supposed Coloplast expert was that it was broken, and I would need a replacement. To be clear, this was NOT a scam by the surgeon, as he was almost as upset as I was.

Guess what? Both geniuses were wrong.

A few days later, I managed to get an appointment with a younger physician that was well into research on this topic. He immediately explained that the problem was likely in the reservoir. I am thinking, WTF?

Here is what he explained. If you do not have a lot of fluid in your reservoir (that would be me), the unit that holds it can become somewhat compromised. More specifically, cells surround it an can tighten the unit, which might prevent the reservoir from responding easily.

OK, let me cut to the chase -- this young physician did an aggressive "draining" procedure on me. (This same act was described in a medical journal that was focused on the AMS). This means that you force every possible drop of fluid back into the reservoir.

His technique worked. After aggressively deflating me, he pumped me up. I totally freaked out again -- I had completely written off that possibility. I am now approaching 18 months, and I have no problems getting it to work.

I value experience, but if I had followed the directions of the more experienced surgeon and the Colooplast representative, I would have under gone a needless surgery. Subsequently, I saw a very high volume surgeon to get an additional opinion. He dismissed the "reservoir" issue as a cause.

What is my point?

There are highly experienced surgeons that are held in high regard, worshipped, and still manage to make mistakes. There is something to be said for looking for second opinions, even if they are not classified as the holy grail surgeons.

I hope this has been helpful.
Married for 35 years, 63 years old, pretty fit. ED advanced in last 20 years. Pills worked initially, and shots were very effective for several years. Developed some PD (35 degrees) and VL within the last 2 years. Implanted 5/30/2018 with a Titan OTR.

Biker60

Postby Biker60 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 am

So true, as far as the taking the word of the God like surgeons. I suggest 2nd and 3rd opinions. For me with peyronies and failing everything else. I think one needs many opinions when it comes to implants. Especially if you are paying cash for the surgery.

Weazer

Postby Weazer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 pm

I have a one touch.

I have an appointment to see my surgeon on Friday. I hope he tells me it is just the pump and going to be an easy fix.
57, not married, Peyronies Disease in 2014, plication surgery 2016, failed, grafted in 2016, implant Dec. 27 2018. Titan 20cm +1RTE

Weazer

Postby Weazer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Went and saw the doctor. Mostly told me what I already knew. The system has air in it caused by a leak. Most leaks are in the tubing but there is no way to be sure until he takes a look. He usually replaces the whole implant. I may get a slightly larger implant, he would remeasure. He may or may not use the same reservoir it all depends on what he finds.

I want to schedule this as soon as possible but it comes at a bad time for me. I have just started a new job and the insurance has not kicked in yet. Though I only have a few more days. In addition I have not yet built up any vacation or sick days but as soon as I can manage a week off I'm getting it done.
57, not married, Peyronies Disease in 2014, plication surgery 2016, failed, grafted in 2016, implant Dec. 27 2018. Titan 20cm +1RTE

TitanGuy

Titan Pump Trouble -- new implant tomorrow

Postby TitanGuy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi Everyone (and especially Sensei),

My apologies I have not updated this and have not logged on in the past month. I wish I'd read that beforehand, Sensei. I am going in tomorrow to have my entire Titan replaced. Dr. Eid said that with a leak the only way to guarantee the integrity of the implant is to replace it entirely since there's no way to know where the leak came from until he takes it out to examine it. He also said that I should not try to pump it at all once we realized it had a leak because having an empty reservoir for the 6 weeks since it occurred would cause scar tissue to form and he wouldn't be able to place the reservoir in the same place but would have to have it on the same side. (I did try one more time to inflate it maybe a week ago and Zilch, all the fluid was gone).

I'm clearly rather unhappy that only 25 months after getting the original implant, I have to go through it all again. I'm just hoping the recovery isn't anywhere as difficult as the first time around. It's Christmas and I have a ton of family obligations starting a few days post-surgery.

It seems that Titan pumps fail pretty regularly. On average they don't last anywhere near the 15 years the company states, and if they do the pumps become very difficult to use.

Stay tuned after tomorrow.

Fingers crossed,

TG
46 years old. Divorced. Father. Athlete. Implanted 2017 by Dr Eid. Coloplast Titan 22cm. Venous Leak that grew worse over time. Got tired of pills. Full revision 2019 after tubing crack. Coloplast Titan 24cm, touch pump, 125cc reservoir

Return to “Implants”