life span of a penile implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
lasthope2.0
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2025 1:23 pm

Re: life span of a penile implant

Postby lasthope2.0 » Wed Oct 07, 2026 12:29 pm

M123987 wrote:So I can get the implant, and I might need to replace it every 5 years or even sooner in the worst-case scenario, and in the best-case scenario—which is rarer than what I’m seeing here—each implant could last 15+ years. The worst-case scenario, as you can imagine, costs much more, and it’s a very serious problem, since if there isn’t enough money for a replacement, things can’t get any worse.


If my savings start to run out after multiple IPP replacements and another revision is around the corner, I won't live with a broken IPP. I'll switch to malleable rods.

Tokyo_123
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:02 am

Re: life span of a penile implant

Postby Tokyo_123 » Thu Oct 08, 2026 1:03 am

AnotherOldFart wrote:Lifespan is excellent.

ChatGPT:
A 2022 meta-analysis of 12 studies and 20,161 patients estimated inflatable penile implant survival at 87.2% at 5 years, 76.8% at 10 years, 63.7% at 15 years, and 52.9% at 20 years. A separate 20-year study found virtually the same result, with 53% survival at 20 years, and a newer analysis of 11,026 patients projected 48.4% survival at 20 years. So saying “roughly half of inflatable penile implants can still be functioning around 20 years later” is well supported and represents genuinely impressive longevity for a mechanical implant.


I doubt those numbers accurate. Does not take into account those who had an implant and died with it. Also many people implanted decide, for whatever reason, not to replace it once it goes bad.
Venous Leakage (which I believe caused by my overuse of the Bathmate VED)

Dr. Clavell, August, 2022. Titan One-Touch, 24cm XL cylinders and trimmed off 0.5cm

User avatar
ElbowRoom
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2025 1:58 pm

Re: life span of a penile implant

Postby ElbowRoom » Thu Oct 08, 2026 10:16 am

M123987 wrote:So I can get the implant, and I might need to replace it every 5 years or even sooner in the worst-case scenario, and in the best-case scenario—which is rarer than what I’m seeing here—each implant could last 15+ years. The worst-case scenario, as you can imagine, costs much more, and it’s a very serious problem, since if there isn’t enough money for a replacement, things can’t get any worse.


Keep in mind, this forum is a potential poor source of longevity data, at least anecdotally. Men who post here tend to be either fairly recent implantees, or having problems that they need advice on. Many men that are a couple of years post surgery will stop checking/posting here, as they have a stable sexual life and other things occupy their time.

As a result, you see more men with revisions, problems, or premature failures that you’d see in the general population of implantees, just because those with smooth surgical recovery or long lasting implants tend to not have a reason to post here.

You do need to be aware that implants have a finite lifespan, even if it’s a broad range. Unless you are fairly old, the chances are very high that you’ll need a revision at some point. Implants are amazing, but they are rarely a “once and done” solution.
59yo Coloplast Titan 28cm Penoscrotal with Dr. Hakky 10/21/2025.
Pre-op erect measurements:
8.5"L and 6.4”C

Post-op: 8.9” L and 6.2” C at 10 months

Old Guy
Posts: 3209
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:31 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: life span of a penile implant

Postby Old Guy » Thu Oct 08, 2026 10:28 am

The life span of a penile implant is as variable as there are implants. There is no guarantee one will last 5 years, 10 years, or longer. I'm coming up on 7 years. I've seen guys need a revision after 6 months and I've seen a guy claim his implant was 16 years old. There's also a story about a fellow out there with a 20+ year implant.
Nov. 8, 2019
6+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 38 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me


Return to “Implants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Nestor, YandexBot and 277 guests