Titan failed after less than 3 year

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Tokyo_123

Re: Titan failed after less than 3 year

Postby Tokyo_123 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:28 pm

atul21 wrote:When I met Dr. Eid in May 2023 he told me that the Titan OTR pump had issues with its tubing causing it to fail earlier than normal. He told me that he had discussed this with the coloplast team who initially did not agree but later agreed off the record that there might have been an issue. I believe you are one of the victims of this. It seems the tubing of coloplast is outsourced to a 3rd party. The issue was since rectified by coloplast it seems. But they will never admit this as an issue cos that will lead to a class action against them.

This is also one of the reasons Dr. Eid advocates using the other genesis pump.

PS: I have the one touch release pump and I hope to not face this issue. Fingers crossed!

Probably dumb question, but can't they just replace the tubing without replacing the entire unit?
Venous Leakage (which I believe caused by my overuse of the Bathmate VED)

Dr. Clavell, August, 2022. Titan One-Touch, 24cm XL cylinders and trimmed off 0.5cm

principles

Postby principles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:48 pm

Last edited by principles on Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Healthy 31y
08/2020 Titan 22+3. Post op was rough. Best sex of my life. Tubing failed after 26 months.
11/2022 Titan 24+2. Infected from Revision.
01/2023 Tactra 23 13mm. Salvage.
08/2023 Titan 20+3. Infected (3 weeks in)
08/2023 Scheduled Tactra Salvage.

principles

Postby principles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:50 pm

Probably dumb question, but can't they just replace the tubing without replacing the entire unit?

They can, but since you're already exposing your device to bacteria just by minimally exposing the implant, might as well get some extra hydraulic cycles by getting a new implant that is also 1 or 2 cms longer, get your reservoir topped up to 140cc's, fix any cosmetic issues, etc. I mean, make the most of it, perhaps rephrase it as an 'upgrade'. You'll get cut regardless.
Healthy 31y
08/2020 Titan 22+3. Post op was rough. Best sex of my life. Tubing failed after 26 months.

principles

Postby principles » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:07 am

Stewy78, that sucks! I know the feeling of seeing your options go down the drain. I've been through 4 thus far in 3 years 2 months and I'm about to go through my 5th surgery, so I'm winning still.

Reliability is not even the biggest factor, I'll just say it, in my case, the issue was not that the device malfunctioned, that sucked. But the revision procedure was a breeze, until I got infected from it. That is the real danger of these revision procedures, chances of infection go up significantly for every revision you go through due to scar tissue buildup, previous types of micro bits of biofilms from all the prosthesis that've been left behind, all those add up.

I'm going through my second infection, and I too am concerned about the longevity of my penile situation.

Here are your options going forward if you decide against having to reoperate bianually basically> get a properly installed malleable and do HA injections later on. Won't ever break, likely not going to get infected, but won't ever be soft either, there are trade offs, and that's the part that need acccepting if you decide the malleable ro(a)d. Performance won't be the same as the Inflatable by a long shot, but that's just my experience. But it'll be there forever, literally, for the good and the bad, and it won't look bad if you add on the HA fillers, but it won't be performant as 100% pumped Titan. One is cute and bounces around and sometimes needs guidance to get in, buckles and that sort of stuff, and the other, whatever you put them in have to adapt to shape of your cock, and not the other way around. Titan + Cardio is a killer lady combo, as you'll probably know being an avid cyclist and bearer of such device.

I'd advise the following, continue with your inflatable devices unless/until you get an infection, and then, it's a different story, and it'll be time to consider going with the malleable devices.

PS: Related to Abrasion/Friction and mechanical things breaking, I'd like to add that my device broke about a month after I started running 15-20k's daily. I'd be very skeptical of engaging in these types of activities having an inflatable again. I can do 5k's, 3k's, heck, I can do elliptical and 90%+ HR for 20m which is great for the cardio but also potentially life saving for the mechanical devices. It's worth to consider the interaction of the specificities of each anatomy, the tubing length's and their stretchiness and abrasion/friction against tissue and how all of that plays out against the device's longevity.
Healthy 31y

Hillywilly

Postby Hillywilly » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:07 am

principles wrote: chances of infection go up significantly for every revision you go through due to scar tissue buildup, previous types of micro bits of biofilms from all the prosthesis that've been left behind, all those add up.

My surgeon said the risk of revision each time is approximately 2%. I have heard Dr. EID’s revision infection rate is the same as virgin implants the point I’m making is from what I’ve heard infection rates go up a little bit or not at all for some high volume surgeons doing revisions. Who did your surgery?
33 HG deformity now Titan OTR 24cm XL + 1 cm RTE's Length 7.25in/ Girth 6in (midshaft) Dr. Hakky 4/4/23

principles

Postby principles » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:31 am

Here's an exerpt from a paper explaining this: (very good paper on infections):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 37-276.pdf

6. Revision surgery
Surgical failure can be attributed to device malfunction and/or infection. IPP revision surgery, whether due to either cause, comes with increased risk of postoperative infection. Estimates of infection rates following revision surgery have been as high as 10.0% to 13.3% compared to 0.46% to 2.00% in virgin cases [17-21].
In a small, retrospective series (n=44), Montgomery et al [23] noted a step-wise increase in rate of postoperative infection after stratifying patients
by the number of prior IPP surgeries
: 1 (6.8%; 3/44), 2
(18.2%; 4/22), 3 (33.3%; 4/12), 4 (50.0%; 4/8), and 5 (100%;
2/2).
The increased incidence of postoperative infection
following revision surgery is likely multifactorial with
scar formation, reduced host resistance, and biofilms
each playing a role.

So, according to this study, which by the way, utilized a (very) limited sample size, having undergone four surgeries places me at a 50% likelihood of infection during the fifth procedure.

That study's sample size is tiny, and self-published data can be questionable too. But the intuition here seems to be clear - the more revisions or surgeries one goes through, the higher the infection risk due to the factors mentioned above.
Healthy 31y

Hillywilly

Postby Hillywilly » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:48 am

principles wrote:Here's an exerpt from a paper explaining this: (very good paper on infections):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 37-276.pdf

6. Revision surgery
Surgical failure can be attributed to device malfunction and/or infection. IPP revision surgery, whether due to either cause, comes with increased risk of postoperative infection. Estimates of infection rates following revision surgery have been as high as 10.0% to 13.3% compared to 0.46% to 2.00% in virgin cases [17-21].
In a small, retrospective series (n=44), Montgomery et al [23] noted a step-wise increase in rate of postoperative infection after stratifying patients
by the number of prior IPP surgeries
: 1 (6.8%; 3/44), 2
(18.2%; 4/22), 3 (33.3%; 4/12), 4 (50.0%; 4/8), and 5 (100%;
2/2).
The increased incidence of postoperative infection
following revision surgery is likely multifactorial with
scar formation, reduced host resistance, and biofilms
each playing a role.

So, according to this study, which by the way, utilized a (very) limited sample size, having undergone four surgeries places me at a 50% likelihood of infection during the fifth procedure.

That study's sample size is tiny, and self-published data can be questionable too. But the intuition here seems to be clear - the more revisions or surgeries one goes through, the higher the infection risk due to the factors mentioned above.

Yes but here is one from EID showing no difference in infection rate:

Patients in all the groups were similar for age and diabetes. 132 noncoated implants had an infection rate of 5.3%. In the years 2003-2005, 704 coated devices had a statistically significant improvement in incidence of infection to 2%. In the years 2006-2010, the "no touch" technique enhanced the standard surgical procedure in 1511 patients. Only 7 infections were seen yielding an infection incidence of 0.46%. There was no difference in the two manufacturer's infection rates. Differentiation between virgin and revision operation displayed no bias in the infection rate.

You can see the reply to one of EID’s patients discussing the issue:

Hello - In my experience, there is no difference between revision and virgin surgery. What puts the patient at risk for infection is:
1. Extended surgical time
2. Excessive manipulation of the device (Removing and repositioning it over and over during surgery, allowing contact with the patient's skin )
3. Extent of bleeding/hematoma formation in the scrotum.

Operating time is reduced if the surgeon determines what device to use pre-operatively based on the patient's medical history. Typically, the more experienced the physician, the less risk of infection.
My overall infection risk is 0.6%, and I do not see a higher risk of infection in revision cases. In my opinion, the ones with the most risk of infection are those that are over 2 hours long, if it's difficult removing/replacing the device, and when there is hematoma formation.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIRJdh ... YTV4AaABAg

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22521187/
33 HG deformity now Titan OTR 24cm XL + 1 cm RTE's Length 7.25in/ Girth 6in (midshaft) Dr. Hakky 4/4/23

Stewy78

Postby Stewy78 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:26 pm

I would like to give another try to the 3pieces.. obviously the fear about infections in big.. but I also fear that a malleable is not the right choice for me and my lifestyle. If everything goes through and if the device lasts a reasonable amount of time it would be great, otherwise my next step would be for sure a malleable.
I hope to be able to handle all that because I'm really depressed right now, I am trying to schedule the revision but I'm understanding that it will take some time..
32yo, VL from birth. Implanted in 2020 with AMS CX by Gabriele Antonini. Pump stopped working after three months,replaced with new pump that stopped working again. Complete revision Titan Touch 24+1 implanted by Dr.Eid. Titan failed in October 2023.

Italian2

Postby Italian2 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:02 pm

Stewy78 wrote:I would like to give another try to the 3pieces.. obviously the fear about infections in big.. but I also fear that a malleable is not the right choice for me and my lifestyle. If everything goes through and if the device lasts a reasonable amount of time it would be great, otherwise my next step would be for sure a malleable.
I hope to be able to handle all that because I'm really depressed right now, I am trying to schedule the revision but I'm understanding that it will take some time..

Tienici aggiornato fratello.. Qualunque sia la tua scelta

farhananwar

Postby farhananwar » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:31 pm

Stewy78 wrote:I would like to give another try to the 3pieces.. obviously the fear about infections in big.. but I also fear that a malleable is not the right choice for me and my lifestyle. If everything goes through and if the device lasts a reasonable amount of time it would be great, otherwise my next step would be for sure a malleable.

Hi Stewy I wish you all the best, were your AMS implants faulty and the company had to recall them?

Return to “Implants”