FAQs from new guy thinking about implant

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
oifsps

Re: FAQs from new guy thinking about implant

Postby oifsps » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 pm

That s encouraging. Seems like a good option for someone without insurance, its good to read he s done a lot of them to.

ditchman

Postby ditchman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Ok, so my first patient consult with Dr. Montague in Cleveland is a little over a week away, and I still have some follow-up questions for all you guys with the implant device, especially those of you who had this done in your 40s or younger:

1) How long can I realistically expect the device to last? My urologist, who does these implants, says most models are warranted for 10yrs and he has never had to replace any. But, he does mostly older guys on Medicare insurance. I'm 45 and expect to have a normal life expectancy (knock on wood), so it concerns me. I spoke by telephone with Dr. Montague's patient assistant, and she said 10 years may be a good rough estimate for the life of the device, and she has seen some replaced before 10 years, and then some last longer with no problems. I do not want to spend money to have this procedure done twice or three times in my lifetime. I want it "one-and-done" and functional until I die. So, what can I expect? How to get the most longevity out of it?

2) As to recovery time, I am reading and being told that implant patients will typically be off their feet or at least off work for a full week, then 6-12 weeks full recovery time. Is that accurate? How long are you on the catheter post-op? How long are you bed-ridden post-op? What is the pain and swelling like? Is it manageable and are you able to be back on the (white-collar) job after a week?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice anyone can provide.

Ditch
ED problems beginning age 35, no health problems other than ED, non-diabetic, low cholesterol, normal blood pressure; AMS CXR implant March 2013 (Dr. Drogo Montague, Cleveland Clinic) following oral meds, VED, and finally injections without improvement.

radiodec

Postby radiodec » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:29 pm

One of the fellows that posts on here had his replaced after 17 years.

Just went through the implant surgery myself and it was 2.5 instead of 1.5 hours due to older surgeries like a hernia repair and undescended testicle repair and then a radical prostatectomy. Anyway, catheter out next morning; on feet and walking around at 3 days post surgery. Could have gone to work at one week post. Had medical leave so took two weeks which brought me to Thanksgiving holidays so had even longer. This is 3rd full day of work and doing very well.

Did well through whole recovery, little pain, little swelling. But everyone is different, no garranty on resluts.

Radiodec
70 - married 47 years: RP - 2000, injections till 2012, AMS700LGX with 21cm tubes 2cm extenders 11/7/2012, failed 6/5/2017 --- Re-implanted 8/18/2017 with AMS 700CX -- Implants by Dr. David Morris, Hendersonville,TN

Bionic_by_AMS

Postby Bionic_by_AMS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 pm

ditchman wrote:I want it "one-and-done" and functional until I die. So, what can I expect? How to get the most longevity out of it?

I think your expectations are a little unrealistic ... it was no different when I had my hip replaced ... I was told it would last 10 years, so if I want to walk again I got the surgery. If you want to have sex again ... I think you get the point ...

will typically be off their feet or at least off work for a full week, then 6-12 weeks full recovery time.

Everyone has a different recovery rate ... off for a week sounds reasonable. I was back in the gym at week 2 ... back in the pool at week 3 ... and by week 6 I was able to do most anything.
How long are you on the catheter post-op?

Mine was removed the next day in the URO office ... most are removed within 24 hrs.
How long are you bed-ridden post-op? What is the pain and swelling like?

I was an out-patient ... so I was only in the Hospital 3 hrs. then went home ... as for the pain ... it's not too bad, I only took one pain med the next day and then just Ibprofin after that. The majority of the swelling goes down after a few days ... uncomfortable, but not painful ...
Is it manageable and are you able to be back on the (white-collar) job after a week?

I would recommend an inflatable donut cushion ... just don't try to do too much ...
Robotic Prostrate surgery - Dec. 2011 - AMS 700 LGX Implant - 21 cm/3 cm RTE - June 2012

antelope

Postby antelope » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:51 am

Great response. Thanks for all of us who may be looking toward an implant at some point.
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

ditchman

Postby ditchman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks to all of you for responding. Very informative and helpful. I was hoping for confirmation of greater longevity of the device, but I understand the limitations.

If/when you have the device replaced, does anyone know if it is typical to have the whole procedure redone, or is it more likely to have only the manual pump replaced or a partial "tune up"?

I spoke with Dr. Montague's patient assistant again today. If the pre-op first visit and consult goes well, I am tentatively scheduled for first week in March of '13. Could have had a slot in January, but my schedule will not permit until March. I have some anxiety, but after 10 years of fighting Peyronies ED, I'm ready to take a risk for the possibility of a marked improvement.

Thanks, again, to all.
ED problems beginning age 35, no health problems other than ED, non-diabetic, low cholesterol, normal blood pressure; AMS CXR implant March 2013 (Dr. Drogo Montague, Cleveland Clinic) following oral meds, VED, and finally injections without improvement.

Return to “Implants”