Late infection risks

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DNQ231

Late infection risks

Postby DNQ231 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi all,

I’m almost 6 weeks post-op, and am wondering about late infection risks. I know that they can occur even years after implantation, but studies don’t seem to make clear what the risks are.

Since they’re such a common possibility, I was wondering if boils/pimples on or around the penis or scrotum are a risk. I am concerned that they might penetrate deeper into contact with the implant if they are on the genitals.

Any answers or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Born in 1996. Coloplast Titan Touch implanted July 2018.

Josef007

Re: Late infection risks

Postby Josef007 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:56 pm

All i know is that infection is rare. 3% will have it .
21 years old , pelvic trauma , family planning & life isn't cool & we shall stand and fight.

Family , wife , kids , fatherhood ,hopes.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:58 pm

In this study has a some info you might want to look at. https://www.garber-online.com/pdf/Highe ... ctions.pdf

There is a graph on page 4 that shows the reoperation rates for infection, all other causes and also for combined. Maybe someone can explain the length of time involved after operation but maybe just under 8 years. I am not sure. This seems to indicate it varies as to number of surgeries done a year buy your surgeon. For infection the rate varies from 1.1 to 3.1 percent. For other causes it varies from 3.0 to 5.4 percent.

So you are much more likely to have a reoperation for a cause other than infection.

I do not have an answer why infections occur a year or longer after surgery other than common sense to keep clean and avoid injury. And if you do have an injury to treat it right away. If no one here has the answer maybe something to ask you surgeon about at your next follow up.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

SARocker

Postby SARocker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 pm

I’m actually on week 6 after surgery and 2 weeks ago I started with something that looked like a tiny white pimple on the top of my urethra. At the beginning, doctor stated that it was not important and that i should just apply some cream he prescribed. 1 week ago things got really ugly and i visited him again, and this time he prescribed antibiotics. I had a test done today to identify what type of bactheria caused it, but he has never mentioned anything about reoperation. Currently taking 6 pills and the pain and discomfort went away. Dick still looks awful, but i have my hopes up. So yes, infection can occurr at anytime which really sucks, even if you are not on the most common group of more likely to get it patients.
33 yo, implanted on July 24, 2018. AMS 700 LGX, IZ. 21 cms x 12 mm with 0.5 RTE

Josef007

Postby Josef007 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:19 pm

U can speed healing process buy 3 of this :
forever-living-aloe-vera-gel-500x500.jpg
forever-living-aloe-vera-gel-500x500.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
21 years old , pelvic trauma , family planning & life isn't cool & we shall stand and fight.

Family , wife , kids , fatherhood ,hopes.

Return to “Implants”