Impants and bicycling

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Eugene

Impants and bicycling

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm

I am considering an implant after the injections stopped being effective and I am growing weary of vacuum pumps. I have been reviewing everyone's comments and stories, but I haven't noticed any comments about bike riding after an implant. By biking I am talking about road and mountain bikes. I enjoy biking and now that I am retired I'd like to do more. My concern is that I read that a part of the implant goes inside the pelvic region and that would place it near where the narrow bike seats presses behind my sack. Any bikers out there with an implant? I'd sure like to hear about your experiences and especially if you have any problems.
Prostatectomy and radiation therapy 2/05. AMS 700 implanted 9/17.

Duxman

Re: Impants and bicycling

Postby Duxman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Hello Eugene

I am 6 weeks post op with the ams cx implant. I was able to get out and ride last week 3 times with the longest ride being 18 miles on my road bike.
The only issue I had was my biking shorts dont leave much to the imagination with a much more rigid and larger appendage now.

Im not sure if im going to wear additional cloths like a jock strap or just let my new toy show.

My bike seat has the cutout down the midfle to reduce the pressure on my penis, bit the only pain was the burning in my legs on hills.... :)

Regards
Age 55. Struggled with ED since mid 40's. Hypertension and VL.
Implanted June 21, 2017 with AMS CX.

palace01

Postby palace01 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Eugene, see my Con and other's Pros in..
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8393&p=62641&hilit=palace01#p62641

Looks like I'm the odd one out !!
Age 73
Apr-15-14. RP-Pills, Injections No help. VED(almost old size in tube).
Feb-12-16, Dr Cornell, AMS-CX "18+4" LOTS PROBLEMS!
Jul-6-16 Dr Khera ColoPlast "20+1" Very Unhappy with very short length/width but Dr insists correct

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 am

I'm just a casual bike rider with the grandkids. No problems whatsoever. After my first implant I bought a seat with "no horn(?)". Used it a year or so a switched back to my big soft Cruiser-type seat. My biggest problem is that the grandkids have grown into "bikes with gears" and their energy and stamina leave me way back...... Good luck.....
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 am

Eugene wrote:I am considering an implant after the injections stopped being effective and I am growing weary of vacuum pumps. I have been reviewing everyone's comments and stories, but I haven't noticed any comments about bike riding after an implant. By biking I am talking about road and mountain bikes. I enjoy biking and now that I am retired I'd like to do more. My concern is that I read that a part of the implant goes inside the pelvic region and that would place it near where the narrow bike seats presses behind my sack. Any bikers out there with an implant? I'd sure like to hear about your experiences and especially if you have any problems.

Hi Eugene,
I'm a "serious" cyclist and do 100+ mile rides, so I've been trying to gather information about implants and cycling. If you search my posts for "bicycle" there is some more information.

I did ask my local surgeon about this, and he reportedly implanted a pro cyclist without problems for the cyclist. Another doctor (might have been Kramer) said there should be no problem but pump position becomes more critical making penoscrotal technique necessary.

My feeling is that a properly fitted bicycle saddle should contact only the sit bones, not the scrotal area, so the implant shouldn't interfer but I could be completely wrong about that. Anyway, cycling is at the top of my list when I talk to the surgeons, so if there's likely to be a problem then the implant is a no-go for me.
Implant - Dr Eid 12/2017, Titan Touch 20/21cm no RTE, 125cc reservoir

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Folks, thanks for the informative replies. I am not as serious cyclist as I was 10 years or so ago, when I biked 20 miles almost every day and did long group rides and a century ride at least once a year. I actually stopped riding for a couple years. I doubt I will get back into it as I was once. But, since I retired I do want to bike a few days a week and maybe a few 25-50 milers. Biking is fun and great exercise.

I am glad to hear from many recreational cyclist that have had an implant. I was initially worried that implants and cycling might have been mutually exclusive. I just did a search of "bicycle" as suggested. I should have done that first. Duh?! :oops: There are a considerable number of comments on the topic.

Thank you for your replies. After more reading I may have some follow up questions.
Prostatectomy and radiation therapy 2/05. AMS 700 implanted 9/17.

David_R

Postby David_R » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:55 pm

warrenw wrote:My feeling is that a properly fitted bicycle saddle should contact only the sit bones, not the scrotal area

That's what I thought they called a "man's seat" or something similar. Am I correct about this?

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:10 pm

David_R wrote:
warrenw wrote:My feeling is that a properly fitted bicycle saddle should contact only the sit bones, not the scrotal area

That's what I thought they called a "man's seat" or something similar. Am I correct about this?
It could be called that. My favorite looks like this, and there's a similar model with a cutout but I'm not sure what real purpose that serves. Most of the rider's weight should be supported to the rear of the saddle by the sit bones.
399-125.jpg
399-125.jpg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Attachments
SA5247.jpg
SA5247.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Eveready

Postby Eveready » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Implanted May 22, and my first morning back on the bike today - a veeery gentle few km. It is plain that I need a saddle with a large cutout in it. Much as I have loved the B17, I doubt that I shall be perching on it any longer: pump is right on the ridge of the saddle. Not good.
Melbourne, Oz. Radical prostatectomy & titan implant at 60. Size uncertain, but big enough to hang onto. Nah, it's huge!

warrenw

Postby warrenw » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:49 pm

I have a Brooks Pro, very similar to the B17, and Brooks are pretty hard saddles as you know. Is there actually pressure on the pump or do you just feel it there? Could it be the RTE's that you are feeling? Try tilting the saddle down a bit from horizontal. I remember getting a numb dick from my Brooks being too level, but tipping down just a few degrees fixed that. Keep us posted and hoping for the best.

Return to “Implants”