AMS LGX vs. Titan OTR

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
GaryP!

Re: AMS LGX vs. Titan OTR

Postby GaryP! » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 pm

I had the Titan implanted Dec 2; so I am at 12 weeks now. Unfortunatley my wife has been Ill and unable to try it out.

After Dr Eid showed me both the AMS and the Titan I told him I would prefer the Titan but left it up to him to make the decision at the time of the procedure. Since I am not a big guy and have lost some length due to ED for decades I wanted the "harder when erect and not as soft when deflated.

I find that the not as soft when deflated makes me hornier than I was before the procedure. And being a little larger in the soft state is good for my mind set. (Ego?)

Regarding the female responses to AMS vs Titan satisfaction... I wil volunteer for any future studies. ;)
Surgery Dec 2, 2016 Dr. Eid Advanced Urological Care. Coloplast 18cm

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Dr.Kramer called to discuss which brand of implant Monday. I had previously told him I did not care. My wife said it must be a Titan this time in response to lost girth and Drs Rybak, Levine and Eid all saying I should have had a Titan. I LOVE the soft natural feel of the AMS LGX and no kink issues after 2-3 months. The AMS was fold hell at the tubing wrap around for a long time which irritated the tubing location more. Dr. Kramer said he has never had an infection with the AMS. That said, there is the left bend and upward bend I now have post implant. I do not think another LGX will be stiff enough to overcome it as this one has not. Dr. Kramer had mentioned that he may not be able to get it completely straight at this point. On that merit I chose the Titan as the extra stiffness may help straighten this thing out. Dr. Kramer said it likely would take tip extenders tacked on to what I have to make it fit. Titan does come 1 cm longer so that might save a bit of solid matter. I am still fluid in the matter and if the doctor wants to change it and thinks the outcome will be good then still open to a change. I only want the issues addressed. Whatever it takes to make it happen. Titan has been ordered but am sure he can get his hands on something other than a rubber chicken if things need to change.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 pm

alibaba wrote:Titan has been ordered but am sure he can get his hands on something other than a rubber chicken if things need to change.

Alibaba, does Dr Kramer not have a full range of sizes, brands and models readily available in the operating theater at the time of surgery so he can select the right one for your particular anatomy/situation?

That would surprise me, as Dr. Eid told me it is impossible to determine the best option until the patient is examined during the operation.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

stiffupperlip

Postby stiffupperlip » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Dr. Kramer install a Titan in me because I requested it. He seems to prefer AMS and had to get a Titan special for me. So I don't believe he has every model available at surgery but I could be wrong.
22cm Titan No RTE's Dr. Kramer Oct 2016

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 pm

I get the impression that the sales reps show up with a suitcase full of implants. We did not discuss that aspect but he did say the reps go through a lot of training. I got the impression the reps make a recommendation but the final decision is upon the doctor. Milam said nobody is allowed to suggest to him what implant to use, it is his operating room and he is the one responsible. I know when I called Milam's office to schedule my first implant after months of fighting with the insurance company that I was told Milam had ordered it over 2 months before. When you look at the lists of implants and the various ways they are supplied, e.g., infrapubic, scrotal, preassembled, various style pumps, lengths, models such as CX, LGX, et cetera there are MANY MANY variables to chose from so surely the doctors give them an idea what they might need. Take 60 variable combinations of implant style and a doctor that does 6 implants in a day with the possibility 4 might need the same size and model,do you think a sales rep is going to walk in the O.R. with 240 implants? I doubt it.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Here is a list of the various Titan models. You can see there are many.
https://www.coloplast.us/titan-en-us.as ... variants_4
The Titan OTR® kits come in a similar long list of options. Dr. Kramer said he did not want to use the OTR because that model seems to have the most problems.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 am

alibaba wrote:Here is a list of the various Titan models. You can see there are many.
https://www.coloplast.us/titan-en-us.as ... variants_4
The Titan OTR® kits come in a similar long list of options. Dr. Kramer said he did not want to use the OTR because that model seems to have the most problems.

Alibaba,

That is not a list of the Titan models alone. It is a list of all the parts as well. Two different reservoirs, cylinder/pump sets in two different basic diameters (narrow base and standard) and two different configurations (scrotal and infrapubic) and different cylinder lengths. Then there are part numbers for cylinders only and for just the tubing connectors.

When Dr Eid writes "I determine the best cylinder and device option during the surgery after the internal penile measurements are obtained and then select the type of cylinder and make of device. As is described in the link below the quality of the flesh, thickness of the tunica albuginea, overall size of the penis, length of the crus, cavernosal girth which are all attributes that can only be assessed during the surgery and help me decide and determine whether or not a tunical dependent or tunical independent cylinder is the best option for the patient. " I take that to mean that he has different makers and their different models right there in the operating room to select from. He also goes on to say that the Coloplast Titan is "tunical independent" and the AMS devices are "Tunical independent". But I have little idea of what those terms mean and he has not explained them.

By my reckoning, there are two different manufacturers, AMS and Coloplast. AMS has three different models and Coloplast has two different models of cylinder/pump combinations. Coloplast appears to have two different reservoir sizes and AMS has three reservoir sizes. This amounts to a large number of possible combinations, but not an unmanageable inventory for a high-volume surgeon to keep on hand, I think.

Having said that, I have found it VERY difficult to get reliable information from even the most forthcoming sources. I have been waiting for a month for a callback from the regional Coloplast representative, two peer-reviewed medical journal papers directly contradict one another about the lengthening properties of the Coloplast Titan and most of the anecdotal evidence is incomplete. It is very frustrating.

Not as frustrating as your journey has been, of course. You have my sympathy and admiration.

If I were able to close my eyes and trust in my local surgeon, I would have had an implant in 5 months ago. But there is only one chance to get this right the first time and the "do-over" option (as your experience verifies) is best avoided. So, I have been in information-gathering mode since then and exploring the potential of traveling to New York or Baltimore instead of keeping the convenience of near-to-home surgery in Anchorage.

I have yet to get straight, reliable, authoritative answers to my most pressing questions. Lacking that, I will delay until I am satisfied I have optimized my chances of an optimal outcome. In the meantime, your experiences (and others') have been very encouraging for me, so I thank you and wish you well on your upcoming revision.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

strongagain

Postby strongagain » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:37 am

My idea was to get an implant from AMS. My doctor said, he would recommend one from Coloplast. 'AMS hasn't improved anything the last couple of years.' That's what he said. I'm happy that I got a Coloplast Titan. Should I get a new implant in a couple of years than surely one from Coloplast again.
Born in 1950, ED since 2007 (colon cancer)
08/2015 Titan Zero Degree 22 cm + 3 cm RTE
Dr. Leiber, Freiburg, Germany
6.5" x 5.7" - Very happy with implant

Living in Freiburg, Germany

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:57 pm

I did not correctly state using the word models. I posted a link to the part numbers for only one model, the Titan. Titan OTR is another, then there is the rigid rod model. They actually have 3 models but the various combinations including lengths make for a huge inventory. You over simplify the possible inventory with your refutation of my comment.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Per your comment :
Having said that, I have found it VERY difficult to get reliable information from even the most forthcoming sources. I have been waiting for a month for a callback from the regional Coloplast representative, two peer-reviewed medical journal papers directly contradict one another about the lengthening properties of the Coloplast Titan and most of the anecdotal evidence is incomplete. It is very frustrating.

I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get info from Coloplast a year ago and again a year prior to that. Their customer service was some of the worst I ever encountered as far as refusing to answer questions and being evasive. Would not even suggest a doctor who would answer questions.

AMS was very helpful with the insurance. Other than that, they would only recommend seeing Knoll in Nashville saying they send everyone to him. No other answers were forthcoming about the implant device.

I asked both companies for written copies of their warranties. They both evaded the issue. I do not think a written copy exists at this point. No doctor has seen one either of those I asked. Only the mention in advertising that they warrant for failure of the device.

Return to “Implants”