TSA and Implants

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
clearwatercowboy

Re: TSA and Implants

Postby clearwatercowboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:23 pm

shadowwolfe

Sorry to read your post about this. It must have been difficult to undergo that whole scene. Hopefully, someone will shake up the TSA people to be better at handling this into the future.

WHen you have a chance, drop me a note. Would enjoy a chat about your implant surgery.

Thanks
Cowboy

buster23

Postby buster23 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Last time I flew I went through the back-scatter scanner. It was fairly easy. I wonder if implants show up?

I've heard of people with hip replacements and other metal prosthetics carrying cards to explain to TSA. Wonder if that would work here?

regain-is-the-aim

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Again, my thanks to Shadow for bringing this issue to our attention. To refresh memories, Shadow was badly mistreated by TSA agents in the Salt Lake City Airport and finally had to drop, in a private place, his underwear to “prove” his implant was not a weapon.

As I promised him, and with Paul’s encouragement, I met with the TSA this morning. It was a frank, open discussion. When I requested the meeting there was no opposition from the TSA but, even, an openness to examine whatever I needed to discuss. Before the meeting I did not state the exact nature of my concern. I met with the top person here. He was welcoming.

What happened to Shadow was wrong and should never have happened! There is no process within the TSA for requiring a male to expose himself to prove his penis is not a weapon. OK, so now what; was my expressed concern. This misguided look for terrorists will happen again, at some point, unless the TSA decides there needs to be additional training on the issue. The Director and I agreed that a female breast cancer victim would not face the same issues with her reconstructed breast.

The Director is checking the education/process offered at Indy to see how this would be handled. Let me add, I have no doubt this issue would never have occurred here. Our TSA personnel are very professional and if there needs to be a question ask- it would have been without suggesting the implant guy was lying about his bionic status. The Director is also forwarding the issue to DC for the national education people to review. When he suggested it might not be on their radar, I strongly offered the opinion the issue needed to be addressed by the TSA before others, in or outside the government, became involved and everyone was embarrassed by the events that might well occur.

I offered there should be an ability to develop tools concerning penile implants that could be used to assist an agent with his assessment that the “man with the implant” presented no danger to the flying public and could catch his flight. Really!!

The Director was interested in the EDF (Erectile Dysfunction Foundation) and our advocacy for men with ED. He has Paul’s card and will connect with me when he hears something from DC. I’ll keep everyone posted as we progress with this issue. Unfortunately, being a large federal bureaucracy, this will probably take longer than we would like. But we have started!

What is important progress is that we (The Foundation) have been able to address an issue for every man in the clan with, or may consider, a penile implant who flies. The bionic members of this clan should be respected, treated equally and with dignity. We should have no fear of flying with an implant nor, of complaining about disrespect or harassment from a TSA agent for fear of being placed on a “no-fly” list.

Together, guys, we can accomplish a lot. This is a good place! Now, we await the TSA response.

Thanks Shadow- you made this possible and that took courage.

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

hockey

Postby hockey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:10 am

Dick,
Thank you very much for doing this on everyone's behalf with implants.

I will be flying out of Indy in early December. You are correct about their
professionalism at that airport. When I have the need to fly is almost always
out of Indy. Just a great airport. Very exspensive to park but still a good airport.

I think it will be a little less stressful because of your efforts.

It will be interesting the first time for me since I have the Malleable implants.
I sure hope they don't think my penis will explode. My wife is just now beginning
to think of it as a "hot rod" and Lord knows I would not want that mindset to
change.

Much appreciation for your efforts.
67 yr's young. Loving wife and 4 children 7 grandchildren. Type II diabetic for 9 years. Could retire but love my job and the people I work for. Pills, Pumps & Injections all failed. Implanted on 9/2/11. I am now "Bionic":)

Return to “Implants”