infections

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
username_taken29

infections

Postby username_taken29 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Gents,

By far my biggest fear of this process is the risk of infection. Thinking of going to Kramer who obviously has a great reputation but is there anything one can do to further reduce the risk of infection pre-surgery? What factors might possibly increase the risk of infection for a given patient? If this risk was zero the decision would be a no brainer but with a semi functioning penis (most often not usable) I still am trying to wrap my head around the decision.

billylee

Re: infections

Postby billylee » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Staph infection can happen with any hospital visit, so can other infections and embolisms from any surgery, you let the weight of total positive outcome outweigh the negative. If religious in belief, as I, you trust in His guidance, comfort, and safety. No guarantees, but dern good medical statistics for IPP satisfaction, for you and partner.
72, ED & PE worsened with age, TURP 2008, Prostrate 1.71, T-559,
Coloplast Titan OTR 21 cm (20+1 cm rear tip extender) on 3/11/2014 by Dr. Allan Morey UT-SW Medical/Dallas

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Dr Kramer, like other surgeons, will give you disinfectant soap with instructions to shower at least twice with it before coming to the hospital. Once in the OR, extreme steps will be taken to prevent infection: Infection control is paramount with him, and his infection rate, like the other top implant surgeons, is very low. The probability of infection, while finite, is extremely low. I would not let fear of infection deter me from getting an implant, especially if you go with a top surgeon.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

C_lab34

Postby C_lab34 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:44 pm

I recently had a consultation with Dr. Kramer and he said that he hasn't had an infection in over three years. That's an incredible track record and should be very reassuring to anyone considering this procedure with him.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:10 am

Dr. Eid claims almost all infections can be traced to bacteria on the scrotal skin. I have had many surgeries. I am also immune compromised. At times considerably worse than others at about 10% of that of a normal healthy person my age. Knock on wood, I've never had an infection. I usually soak in a tub after a good washing for about 20 minutes with a 1/4 cup of regular bleach in the tub full of water for about 3 days plus use dial antibactial soap. I do not know that is the reason I had no infections but I don't want to get one as a trial to prove my method. Dr. Milam said the normal risk of infection is 1.5% That is 3 people out of 200. He said he would put my risk at 15 -20 times that which would be as much as 60 people out of 200. If you have a normal operating immune system and take a few precautions such as the hibiclens day before and morning of surgery, clean towel each time, clean clothes each time, the chances are well into your favor! It would not make sense to clean with yourself with antibacterial soap and use the same towel you and your wife dried on all week or put on the same pajamas you slept in the night before if bacteria is what you are trying to avoid as you could recontaminate yourself. You have to keep in mind, the 1.5% likely includes people who made no effort of their own to prevent an infection before surgery. I would bet the number is much lower if they listed the people who took precautions. I believe Dr. Eid says he uses nothing but 70% alcohol as it kills staph. Alcohol burns like hell down there as everyone knows though. Every precaution is to your best interest. I always tell my doctors that it is in theirs also. Best to you! d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

username_taken29

Postby username_taken29 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:17 am

Clab4 - that is a very good track record indeed and reassuring.

Alibaba - that's good to know as well. I think i will email the doctor and just ask if he thinks there are any additional precautions I can take (eg antibacterial soap) in advance as well.

Thanks all.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:07 pm

I have no idea how to edit a post but I meant to say that I bet the number is much lower if they ONLY listed the people who took precautions. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 pm

alibaba wrote:I have no idea how to edit a post but I meant to say that I bet the number is much lower if they ONLY listed the people who took precautions. d

Top right side of the box your post is in that you want to edit should have edit button
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 pm

alibaba wrote:Dr. Eid claims almost all infections can be traced to bacteria on the scrotal skin.

This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The scrotal skin is the exact same tissue as the stretchy female vagina lips. It has many micro-folds and creases that lock in the bacteria.

This is one reason I prefer the infrapubic method. I've had infections after the scrotal method, and I did the pre-scrubs with a special soap that left me with orange skin for 5 days, and I was taking prophylactic antibiotics. Infection can occur regardless of preparation, but I'm sure the numbers are higher for patients who don't prep.
harddrive

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 am

username_taken29 wrote:Gents,

By far my biggest fear of this process is the risk of infection. Thinking of going to Kramer who obviously has a great reputation but is there anything one can do to further reduce the risk of infection pre-surgery? What factors might possibly increase the risk of infection for a given patient? If this risk was zero the decision would be a no brainer but with a semi functioning penis (most often not usable) I still am trying to wrap my head around the decision.

As surgeries go, the infection rate for penile implants (2-3%) is lower than other implant surgeries. Te implant device itself is coated or soaked with an antibacterial agent. Also, patients are usually given antibiotic medication prior to and following the procedure. My doctor gave me an antibiotic wash for me to use starting one week prior to the surgery and two weeks after. But any surgery carries risks of complications. You'll have to decide if you're willing to accept the risks.

KMeister

Return to “Implants”