VA approved my implant today

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Rockstar68

VA approved my implant today

Postby Rockstar68 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 am

I asked VA to approve my implant surgery a year ago (with an outside doctor). I've been moving around and working in different states and I lost contact with my Urologist at the VA. Well, I got a new primary doctor last week and asked her to start the process over again, because I never heard back from Urology. Well, today my doctor told me that it was submitted and already approved!

I am supposed to call tomorrow to set up my initial consultation and I will update accordingly. I have viewed youtube videos and feel very comfortable with what Dr. Kramer is doing in Baltimore. I'm just not sure yet if I will have my choice of doctors or if it will have to be in the Columbia, SC area.

I posted previously that I was unsure about whether to get the surgery or not. But, I have been almost 5 years without a girlfriend and my prospects are now zero because of my ED. It has dramatically changed my life. People that don't have ED just don't understand the depression, low self-esteem and no chances of dating someone. The women I have met just don't understand and will not date someone with ED.

I am concerned about loss of size, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I also hate catheters and not sure how that will go. I have had stents placed for kidney stones before, and that really didn't bother me. I had a catheter a couple of years ago (first time) and it was hell. My bladder was constantly contracting and spasming and I was going through hell because of the pain.

Can anyone share any ideas about the catheter? Maybe the last one I had was placed too deep or something?
50 years old, currently single. ED for 18 years, impotent for the last 7. Currently awaiting approval for an implant

RelievedofED1

Re: VA approved my implant today

Postby RelievedofED1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am

Dr Kramer is a good choice re maintaining size as are other high volume surgeons. Dr Kramer only kept catheter in overnight and instructed me how to remove the next day. I have had catheters before including a suprpubic catheter after urethral surgery which was very uncomfortable though made the surgery a success. This catheter was not uncomfortable maybe because it was only in overnight. Good luck on your quest. So far this has been a really good decision for me. As you state ED is a big deal and great to have it cured. Couldnt be happier.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

PCHelp76180

Postby PCHelp76180 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 am

Rockstar68 wrote:I asked VA to approve my implant surgery a year ago (with an outside doctor). I've been moving around and working in different states and I lost contact with my Urologist at the VA. Well, I got a new primary doctor last week and asked her to start the process over again, because I never heard back from Urology. Well, today my doctor told me that it was submitted and already approved!

I am supposed to call tomorrow to set up my initial consultation and I will update accordingly. I have viewed youtube videos and feel very comfortable with what Dr. Kramer is doing in Baltimore. I'm just not sure yet if I will have my choice of doctors or if it will have to be in the Columbia, SC area.

I posted previously that I was unsure about whether to get the surgery or not. But, I have been almost 5 years without a girlfriend and my prospects are now zero because of my ED. It has dramatically changed my life. People that don't have ED just don't understand the depression, low self-esteem and no chances of dating someone. The women I have met just don't understand and will not date someone with ED.

I am concerned about loss of size, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I also hate catheters and not sure how that will go. I have had stents placed for kidney stones before, and that really didn't bother me. I had a catheter a couple of years ago (first time) and it was hell. My bladder was constantly contracting and spasming and I was going through hell because of the pain.

Can anyone share any ideas about the catheter? Maybe the last one I had was placed too deep or something?

Rockstar68 I just had my procedure on July 7, and the VA covered the entire thing. Yes there will be a catheter for the first 24 hours, but you will get good meds. Think of it this way, which is worse another 5 years of ED or 24 hours of discomfort with the catheter ? Here is my thread you can see first hand what to expect. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5615
ED since my late 30's. Implanted 7/7/15 Titan Coloplast 18cm +4 cm extenders. Revision Jan 2017

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:05 am

Dr. Kramer did my implant in 2008. He kept me overnight (23 hours so it would qualify as outpatient for insurance) and removed the catheter in the morning. I had no discomfort at all while it was in place, and the removal was very quick and not painful. I don't hesitate to recommend Dr. Kramer - he does excellent work and is a pleasure to deal with. Best of luck to you!
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Rockstar68

Postby Rockstar68 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Some bad news I think.........

I called VA today and they informed me that they are now performing the implant surgeries at my local VA. My VA urology department has a lot of issues and I'm not sure that I am confident they can do a good job.

I was told the only way around it is if they have a backlog of surgeries waiting to be performed, I can then request an outside doctor to perform the surgery. I have to go down to the VA on Monday and find out how and when this will happen.

I will update
50 years old, currently single. ED for 18 years, impotent for the last 7. Currently awaiting approval for an implant

jelizondo12

Postby jelizondo12 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:03 pm

When I went to the VA for my ED problem my primary doctor who talked to me thru his nurse (never have seen him in person). sent me to get a bunch of blood tests, chest x-rays and a colonoscopy and declared me fit, when I asked about the E D problem the nurse stated I needed to see a urologist, never could get that appointment. I decided to go thru Medicare and my supplement insurance plan. I saw Dr Cornell and a month later I was implanted, and now having sex. You can spend a life time trying to get the VA to perform the procedure.

PCHelp76180

Postby PCHelp76180 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:32 am

Rockstar68 wrote:Some bad news I think.........

I called VA today and they informed me that they are now performing the implant surgeries at my local VA. My VA urology department has a lot of issues and I'm not sure that I am confident they can do a good job.

I was told the only way around it is if they have a backlog of surgeries waiting to be performed, I can then request an outside doctor to perform the surgery. I have to go down to the VA on Monday and find out how and when this will happen.

I will update

Rockstar68, I am not sure if you know this already but the manufactures will set up a finance plan for the surgery. And you can also qualify for the CareCredit plan (line of credit) through most Urologists.
ED since my late 30's. Implanted 7/7/15 Titan Coloplast 18cm +4 cm extenders. Revision Jan 2017

Rockstar68

Postby Rockstar68 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:43 pm

UPDATE:

I saw a new Urologist at the VA today and they have referred me to the Augusta VA. They will perform the surgery. Right now I am awaiting a consultation with Augusta and after that they will perform the surgery.

treifsnyder

Postby treifsnyder » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:32 pm

You'll be fine, I feel the majority of guys do great work. Though looking at youtube I saw over 55 videos that Kramer has posted, I like what the guy is doing for the field. Whether you go to him or not (it looks like you were going to now going to the VA), you can totally just see this one guy put in 50 implants, pretty neat and understandable.

Epsilon

Postby Epsilon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 am

On your aversion to catheters, Dr. Perito does no use one in his "Perito Procedure" if that's any help.

Return to “Implants”