Veterans Admin. or Private Sector Surgeon?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Waynebo

Veterans Admin. or Private Sector Surgeon?

Postby Waynebo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Hello…am new to the site, and first time to post. I am a sixty-four year old veteran, receiving a 100% disability from the Veterans Administration. Perones has caused penile injections (tri-mix) to become ineffective, but am not sure if I want the VA to do my implant surgery. Any suggestions/input regarding using the VA? I live in Northern Louisiana, anyone know of a top surgeon in my area. It would be a financial burden to pay, but if needed, I am willing. Thanks.

stanri

Re: Veterans Admin. or Private Sector Surgeon?

Postby stanri » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Waynebo wrote:Hello…am new to the site, and first time to post. I am a sixty-four year old veteran, receiving a 100% disability from the Veterans Administration. Perones has caused penile injections (tri-mix) to become ineffective, but am not sure if I want the VA to do my implant surgery. Any suggestions/input regarding using the VA? I live in Northern Louisiana, anyone know of a top surgeon in my area. It would be a financial burden to pay, but if needed, I am willing. Thanks.

I'm on Medicare and have the military Tri Care For Life additional coverage. With the combination of the two, I will not be paying anything. I'm scheduled for my implant on Jan 19th Anxious and starting to get nervous.
age 80. Prostate removed (cancer) 20 years ago. ED resulted. 19+ years did nothing. Tried pills, vacuum pump (HATED IT), injections worked sometimes, but not dependable. Presently have a inflatable, worked the 1st year. Not working for me now.

stkman

Postby stkman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:47 pm

stkman here,
I became a part of the Bionic Brotherhood on 12/12/2014. It was done by the Walter Reed Medical Hospital in Bethesda, Md. This Hospital is one of the premier facilities in the military. This is due to the fact that wounded warriors come from all over the world for treatment. Now the Dr. that performed my implant (AMS LGX) has a high rate of successful surgeries because of the types of casualties he encounters. Unfortunately in the case of wounded warriors, practice makes perfect.

I am saying this because you want a surgeon with a high rate of succesful implants because they may come across and handle situations that someone with little experience can not. As for as the VA, I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but the VA Hospital in the DC area would not be my first choice. This is based on past experiences. I would get as much information about that VA that I could, got to websites, Google etc. and see what you can find about their level of service in general and the Urology Dept in particular.

Being a veteran and not having to pay is a wonderful thing but not at the cost of subpar work. Do your homework and continue to ask the guys questions on this website and you should be okay. 8-) Hope everything works out for you.

50 yrs ols, Diabetic, Brother since Dec 2014

Waynebo

Postby Waynebo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for the great advice

Return to “Implants”