Travel, Implants and TSa

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
regain-is-the-aim

Travel, Implants and TSa

Postby regain-is-the-aim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 pm

In November, a member of our clan (D32456), ask the question about traveling with an implant. The issue was; would his implant show up on a TSA scan? Would he need to explain his bionic status in front of who knows what group in order to catch his plane. Appropriately, I assume he was also concerned with the possibility of demonstrating his prowess in front of staring TSA agents is a small “private” room somewhere. For which I think charging admission would be appropriate. . . .

Since I fly a fair amount and with Paul’s permission and encouragement, I offered to meet with TSA officials when I flew out of Indy. Let me say, Indianapolis has a new airport and the security process was modified during its construction after 9/11. This is a sophisticated and smooth process, usually, for travelers going thru security.

There is no issue! The scanners do not “penetrate” the skin so your bionic status will not show-up-so to speak. So fly often, fly high and smile at the scanners knowing they cannot see your ever-ready abilities. Since the implant does not contain metal there should also be no issue with the detectors when they are used by airport security. Now, I can’t speak for issue with the usually older malleable rods which have been used in some implants and am unsure if they contain any metal. If anyone has had experience in flying with those, please let us know.

TSA was most pleased to address the issue and put men at ease with their scanning processes. They were professional, concerned and helpful.

I will say I did not expect the experience to unfold as it did. When I asked to speak with a top supervisor I was asked to step aside to a more private space in our vast security plaza and a supervisor would be with me shortly. Within minutes approaching, smiling and introducing HERSELF, she asked how she could be of assistance. So it is true that no good deed goes unpunished. Even I, stammered and awkwardly, began the discussion and asking THE question. She was funny, very professional and discussed the issues forthrightly. It was a question of first impression for her and she very much wanted to assure men there would be no issue and they should feel comfortable in traveling.

So thanks for the question! This opportunity also highlights the importance of establishing the Foundation. Our newly established Erectile Dysfunction Foundation, under Paul’s leadership and all of our involvement and support, is intended to push science and research, advocate, enhance services, promote and further understanding of men and their partners concerning the issues surrounding ED and its effect on our lives. When I approached TSA, I did so on behalf of the Foundation.

All of us working together can contribute to creating a better world for ourselves. That is a good thing!

Regards,

Dick
"Regain-is-the-Aim"
Dick
PCa-surgery 10/06

antelope

Re: Travel, Implants and TSa

Postby antelope » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:59 am

Taking the issue in hand? Nice choice of words.
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

Return to “Implants”