Trainees/Students

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
pjt1958

Trainees/Students

Postby pjt1958 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:45 pm

How do you guys feel about trainees or students being able to watch or be involved in your implant surgery. Two of the surgeons I saw are at training hospitals and although they both said they complete the surgery that trainees may be involved. It seems like that's the case at many places. Should that impact my decision at all??
65 with ED for >10 years. Failed pills, not happy with injections. Decided on implant - AMS 700, scheduled very soon!.

ThailandBound

Re: Trainees/Students

Postby ThailandBound » Thu May 16, 2024 10:50 pm

That’s a hard pass for me.

I researched who i determined to be the best high volume surgeon for a reason. Despite his presence in the operating room, i only want HIS hands touching me during any surgery on my most sensitive part.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

newbie443

Postby newbie443 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:28 am

pjt1958 wrote:How do you guys feel about trainees or students being able to watch or be involved in your implant surgery. Two of the surgeons I saw are at training hospitals and although they both said they complete the surgery that trainees may be involved. It seems like that's the case at many places. Should that impact my decision at all??

There are a number of good doctors that also do training. For my repair the doctor only accepted the case to use as training for his students/residents. He is at the KU med center in KC. I was awake for the surgery as narcotic meds give me trouble. There were some people around but I was soon prepped and draped where I could not see anything. I do not hear well so I could not hear or understand much of what was said let alone know who was doing what. With my first surgery the last thing I remember is being wheeled out of my room and started down the hall. Next I knew I was being wheeled down the hall to recovery. That doctor had a very attractive resident that came in the next morning and removed my catheter. She is now in practice somewhere. Maybe the Carolina's.

Thing is the residents and training have to have some hands on work. They cannot just stand around and watch then go off to do surgeries. But there is a fine line to this. Dr. Morry used to have a very good reputation and following on this board. Then he started having men with problems and word was he was not doing any of the surgeries. He just stood and watched. So not much word on this site about him now. For other surgeries it is not uncommon for the doctor to do the surgery and then have someone else close. My first surgery the doctor did a short video of the surgery. All you could see were hands doing the work. Or a very small part of it. The prep work was done by the doctors nurse. That was the scrub and shave. Maybe even the drape work. And the bandaging. Cath would most likely be the nurse also. The teem had been with my first doctor for years and was with him for his advertised low infection rate.

Yes it is best to have the very good experienced doctor do as much of the surgery as possible. You can ask the doctors you are considering if they do any training and if someone else will be doing part of the surgery.
Injections failed. Implanted 3-21-18 AMS 700 LGX 21 + 1 RTE 100 cc reservoir 6.5" L 5" G Dr. Kramer.

Proximal Perforation Sling Repair 4/13/21 Dr. Broghammer

66 years young.

Will show and tell and talk with others.

pjt1958

Postby pjt1958 » Thu May 23, 2024 11:56 am

Thanks for the replies.

Both of the surgeons I saw Dr. Loh Doyle at USC and Dr. Patel at UC San Diego usually have trainees involved during the surgery and for aftercare. On questioning, Dr. Patel was a little more forthcoming, saying that although men are reluctant to have trainees involved in their care especially since it is a very detail oriented procedure, it does improve efficiency and outcomes. Having someone with a few years of surgical experience assisting is a good thing (vs. a surgery nurse or physician assistant) and he doesn't allow the training aspect to prolong the surgery time and he personally performs all the portions (sizing, placement, etc). Dr. Loh Doyle seemed to just ignore these questions.

I tele consulted with Dr. Clavell who was happy about taking my case and provided excellent info. I would prefer to be in driving distance of my surgeon - I researched Dr. Blick in Arizona who would not have any trainees. I can't find any AMS surgeons in Southern California that are high volume otherwise. Don't know if its as big of a deal for me if the surgeon consistently has goed outcomes. e
65 with ED for >10 years. Failed pills, not happy with injections. Decided on implant - AMS 700, scheduled very soon!.

Old Guy

Postby Old Guy » Thu May 23, 2024 2:38 pm

As a former healthcare worker you have to be trained by someone with experience. Observing an experienced person show you how things are done made me understand that book learning didn't teach me that, only the basis behind why we did this or that. How many other doctors have Eid, Kramer, etc. trained? If trainees or students are not allowed to observe soon there will be no new doctors.
Nov. 8, 2019
4+ years, Coloplast Titan OTR
Married 36 years to my beautiful young bride
Always here to answer questions if you PM me

easymoney

Postby easymoney » Thu May 23, 2024 5:37 pm

My Dr. is Dr. Carrion at USF in Tampa Fl. he does over 300 implants a year and has done revesions and repairs all over the world. USF is a teaching university as is the hospital where he does most of his surgeries. Ha almost always has students/residents in the OR with him .. my 2nd surgery I think was done by a 3 or 4th year resident, on the surgery paperwork carrion puts he was in the room the whole time. Dr's have to learn somehow and I doubt an experienced dr. is going to put your pecker in danger letting a unskilled resident or student do any slicing and dicing ..

wilsonmill

Postby wilsonmill » Thu May 23, 2024 6:02 pm

Totally agree, have to learn somewhere, these guys are also aging so someone is going to replace them.
Age 63, diabetic type1,wear insulin pump, heart attack from COVID vaccine, Married 20+ years, Titan implant 27Feb2019, Duke Medical Hospital, Dr Lentz, Titan failed March of 2024, revision to happen 25Jun2024 at Rex Hospital in Raleigh (UNC)

Pedi10

Postby Pedi10 » Thu May 23, 2024 11:08 pm

In medicine the saying goes " see one, do one, teach"

pjt1958

Postby pjt1958 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 pm

thanks all - the reassurance is appreciated and I think Dr. Loh Doyle or Dr. Patel have tremendous experience to provide me with a good outcome.

jwitten567

Postby jwitten567 » Wed May 29, 2024 11:25 pm

I sent you a PM - I had no concerns at all with the residents working with Dr. Patel. I would say he is pretty hands on and really stresses the details.
    Radical Prostatectomy in 2015; failed pills, straight to Coloplast Titan in 2019 by Dr. Valenzuela in NYC, Replaced with AMS 700 CX in 2022 by Dr. Darshan Patel in San Diego, CA. Wish I jumped to an implant even before prostate cancer!

Return to “Implants”