Happy Implant Day to me!

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
LetoMan

Happy Implant Day to me!

Postby LetoMan » Tue May 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Gents-

I was implanted this morning with surgery starting at 8 AM by Dr. David Seth Aaronson at Kaiser South San Francisco. I was released around 12:15, and by 12:45 I was back home in bed with an ice pack on my wrapped johnson. Can’t see anything yet until this wrap comes off at some point, but everything feels as expected. It’s painful, but very manageable so far. I had general anesthesia, no nerve block.

I got an AMS 700 CX with MS pump and conceal reservoir, penoscrotal insertion. 21cm, 3cm rear tip extender. If there is anyone who can help me understand practical impacts, if any, of that RTE scenario, I would appreciate it!

I know I got some days/weeks/months of recovery ahead, and then cycling and exercises. I’ll keep anyone interested in my progress updated here.

But for now, in the words of the Geto Boys:

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta!

Best, Leto
49. Implanted 5/21/2024 at Kaiser SSF. AMS 700 CX 21cm, 3cm RTE. Penoscrotal. Venous leak my whole life. Pills helped, but hated the side effects; worked less as I aged. Skipped injections. Grateful to bionic brotherhood that helped me make this decision.

Witheringhog

Re: Happy Implant Day to me!

Postby Witheringhog » Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm

Congratulations Leto, best wishes
49 - Coloplast Titan 22 implanted 5-2 Dr. Clavell in Houston

LetoMan

Postby LetoMan » Tue May 21, 2024 11:25 pm

Thanks Hog!

I have done some research (thanks FrankTalk forum) and now have some views on the RTEs (rear tip extenders) that may help guys confused about this. My conclusions are based on a number of contributors here (search rear tip extender), but also this scientific article on RTEs (which includes Eid as an author): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6559880/

To start with, you need an implant that fits. Sizing up or down is bad either way… you either end up with floppy glans if you size down, or erosion if you size up. Both are bad… search the forum if you want to know more.

If you are 24cm, you need 24cm of implant, whether in the size of the implant itself or any RTEs that get added on to the end to make sure it fits. So if your implant is 21cm, you need 3cm RTE to get you to 24cm.

Your length is measured in the operating room after they, uh, open you up, so you don’t know in advance. And before any of you guys think I’ve been blessed with a 24cm dick (9.5 inches!), note that the length is the combination of your external (distal) and internal (proximal) sizes. A rule of thumb is that your internal is about a third of overall length, so I’m really quite normal. :)

Different implants come from the manufacturer in different sizes. The AMS CX comes in 12, 15, 18 and 21 cms. But! Apparently you can special order a 24cm.

So you take the biggest one that fits and add RTEs to fully fill the corpus. In my case I had 24cm to fill, and I suspect I got 21 + 3 because my doc didn’t have a special order 24cm on hand.

The vast majority of implants come with RTEs. Per the study I linked, about two thirds of implants have an RTE. But that varies from 73% of implants by low-volume surgeons to 58% by high-volume surgeons.

The presence of an RTE is correlated with an increased risk of complications. But it’s not exactly clear why that is. There could be intervening causality given that low-volume surgeons do most implants, and are much more likely to do the one’s with RTEs (note to researchers: why not easily compare the rates of complications controlling for things like provider volume? Seems like statistics 101 to me). Another factor could be something like what may have happened with me: the doctor simply didn’t have a 24cm implant on hand.

The other anecdotal and theoretical complaint is that RTEs, since they don’t fill with fluid, push out the “fulcrum” point of the inflatable to malleable portion of the implant. The study authors described it this way:

“The point where the inflatable component meets the malleable component of the implant has an impact on the implant’s performance. This point can act as a fulcrum, allowing the implant to flex even when fully inflated. The use of longer RTEs advances this focal point more distally in the corpora, which then changes the angle of the erection, and thus decreases the quality of the erection. In a natural erection, this focal point would be at the proximal end of the corpora, at the crura, which are fixed. This phenomenon is similar to what has been described by patients using a vacuum erectile device and a penile ring, where the penile ring acts as a fulcrum and only the corpora distal to this is erect. Patients complain of a “floppy” erection in this situation, which is hinged and thus not become erect as one contiguous structure.”

Some of the really high volume providers describe “tricks” they have to cut down on RTEs. Some carve them off, for example. One benefit is having a large range of sized implants to choose from. And I understand some docs might use Doppler to estimate the size beforehand, and talk to patients about using Titan or AMS (which come in different sizes) depending on what they find in the operating room.

Whew! That’s a lot of research for the afternoon after my surgery. Here’s the TL;DR:

• The vast majority of implants have an RTE.
• RTEs seem likely to have some downsides, but it is unclear just how significant they are.
• You are more likely to be one of the minority without an RTE if you use a high volume provider, but still likely to get an RTE.

Leto
49. Implanted 5/21/2024 at Kaiser SSF. AMS 700 CX 21cm, 3cm RTE. Penoscrotal. Venous leak my whole life. Pills helped, but hated the side effects; worked less as I aged. Skipped injections. Grateful to bionic brotherhood that helped me make this decision.

HikerMan

Postby HikerMan » Wed May 22, 2024 10:16 pm

LetoMan wrote:Thanks Hog!

I have done some research (thanks FrankTalk forum) and now have some views on the RTEs (rear tip extenders) that may help guys confused about this. My conclusions are based on a number of contributors here (search rear tip extender), but also this scientific article on RTEs (which includes Eid as an author): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6559880/

To start with, you need an implant that fits. Sizing up or down is bad either way… you either end up with floppy glans if you size down, or erosion if you size up. Both are bad… search the forum if you want to know more.

If you are 24cm, you need 24cm of implant, whether in the size of the implant itself or any RTEs that get added on to the end to make sure it fits. So if your implant is 21cm, you need 3cm RTE to get you to 24cm.

Your length is measured in the operating room after they, uh, open you up, so you don’t know in advance. And before any of you guys think I’ve been blessed with a 24cm dick (9.5 inches!), note that the length is the combination of your external (distal) and internal (proximal) sizes. A rule of thumb is that your internal is about a third of overall length, so I’m really quite normal. :)

Different implants come from the manufacturer in different sizes. The AMS CX comes in 12, 15, 18 and 21 cms. But! Apparently you can special order a 24cm.

So you take the biggest one that fits and add RTEs to fully fill the corpus. In my case I had 24cm to fill, and I suspect I got 21 + 3 because my doc didn’t have a special order 24cm on hand.

The vast majority of implants come with RTEs. Per the study I linked, about two thirds of implants have an RTE. But that varies from 73% of implants by low-volume surgeons to 58% by high-volume surgeons.

The presence of an RTE is correlated with an increased risk of complications. But it’s not exactly clear why that is. There could be intervening causality given that low-volume surgeons do most implants, and are much more likely to do the one’s with RTEs (note to researchers: why not easily compare the rates of complications controlling for things like provider volume? Seems like statistics 101 to me). Another factor could be something like what may have happened with me: the doctor simply didn’t have a 24cm implant on hand.

The other anecdotal and theoretical complaint is that RTEs, since they don’t fill with fluid, push out the “fulcrum” point of the inflatable to malleable portion of the implant. The study authors described it this way:

“The point where the inflatable component meets the malleable component of the implant has an impact on the implant’s performance. This point can act as a fulcrum, allowing the implant to flex even when fully inflated. The use of longer RTEs advances this focal point more distally in the corpora, which then changes the angle of the erection, and thus decreases the quality of the erection. In a natural erection, this focal point would be at the proximal end of the corpora, at the crura, which are fixed. This phenomenon is similar to what has been described by patients using a vacuum erectile device and a penile ring, where the penile ring acts as a fulcrum and only the corpora distal to this is erect. Patients complain of a “floppy” erection in this situation, which is hinged and thus not become erect as one contiguous structure.”

Some of the really high volume providers describe “tricks” they have to cut down on RTEs. Some carve them off, for example. One benefit is having a large range of sized implants to choose from. And I understand some docs might use Doppler to estimate the size beforehand, and talk to patients about using Titan or AMS (which come in different sizes) depending on what they find in the operating room.

Whew! That’s a lot of research for the afternoon after my surgery. Here’s the TL;DR:

• The vast majority of implants have an RTE.
• RTEs seem likely to have some downsides, but it is unclear just how significant they are.
• You are more likely to be one of the minority without an RTE if you use a high volume provider, but still likely to get an RTE.

Leto

Great post, Leto!

I too have RTE's and they work great.
Looks and feels just like the old days.

Congrats and welcome to the Fraternity!
You're one of us now.
AMS 700 installed 12/22/22
REAR TIP Extender 5.0CM MR Conditional
AMS 700 SPHERICAL RESERVOIR 100 ML.
AMS 700 LGX INFRA PUBIC 18 cm
Dr. Jeffrey Loh Doyle- USC KECK
Prostate cancer survivor- RP performed 8/20
56, Marathon runner, John Muir Trail fanatic.

LetoMan

Postby LetoMan » Wed May 22, 2024 11:03 pm

Thanks Hiker!

Recovery so far has been OK, maybe even good. I came home from surgery about 36 hours ago. I have been aggressively icing and rotating through Tylenol and Motrin, and stayed away from the Oxycodone I was given so as to avoid any constipation.

My dick is still wrapped in the “cowboy wrap” I got after surgery. Doc suggested I leave it that way for 48 hours, so I haven’t seen what it looks like yet. There’s a hole at the end of the wrap I guess I’m supposed to urinate through, but I am not very good at that. I’ll be honest - I’m using the sink, rather than spraying all over the bathroom trying to hit the toilet bowl!

I haven’t had bad pain, mostly just discomfort. And I have not yet had the swollen scrotum some describe. I figure aggressive icing is taking care of that.

Overall can’t complain; I’m looking forward to unwrapping tomorrow.

I noticed I got an AMS pump on a keychain in the packet of stuff I brought home from surgery. It looks like maybe a practice pump? Is that a common thing? Could I use the key chain as sorta a way to identify fellow members of the brotherhood?!?!

Be well,
Leto

happycamper59

Postby happycamper59 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:16 pm

Great info. Thanks! My big day is coming up (June 3).

Just got an estimated cost and Medicare/Medigap is picking up the whole tab. :D However, I was floored at the total estimated cost: $72,000! :o That's way more than what I've seen here on FT. Thank God for Medicare!
ED worsened over 25 years, likely VL. Went through pills and injections, and results faded over time. Implant AMS 700CX, 21 cm, no RTE, on 6/3/24.

LetoMan

Postby LetoMan » Sat May 25, 2024 2:31 pm

Good luck, Camper!

Given I am on day 5 of recovery, here’s what I recommend you have ready:

• Tylenol and ibuprofen (you can rotate those every three hours)
• stool softener
• ace bandages to compression-wrap your junk if it swells
• compression shorts. Buy a size smaller than you are so they are super tight!

I haven’t had much pain. But my frank and beans have blown up like a balloon! Compression is the best for that.

Also be prepared for possible bruising. I am completely purple on my dick, scrotum and pubic area/fat pad.

olddoggy

Postby olddoggy » Sun May 26, 2024 12:24 pm

I am going to follow you closely I am a Kaiser member in need of implant but not trusting my doctor here in San Jose I've seen your doctors name on the Boston Scientific site so I might try to switch. Also wife is not interested. I wish you a very happy ending

LetoMan

Postby LetoMan » Sun May 26, 2024 5:33 pm

olddoggy wrote:I am going to follow you closely I am a Kaiser member in need of implant but not trusting my doctor here in San Jose I've seen your doctors name on the Boston Scientific site so I might try to switch. Also wife is not interested. I wish you a very happy ending

I’m gonna be getting many happy endings once the swelling goes down!

Dr. Aaronson is all right. He’s clearly experienced and a good surgeon, but there’s not a lot of hand-holding prior to the procedure. He’s been great since, though.

Bigdog4all

Postby Bigdog4all » Wed May 29, 2024 4:34 pm

Surgery and healing was a 8 - 10.....Great overall. No ugly appearance. Normal swelling. Ice took care of all that.

Now here is my downside. That damn pump cycle/deflate.....that process was a 0 - 2. No where did I read that damn cycle shyt was what it has been. Bulb doesn't depress, nor does that damn release valve depress. And the pain from trying to depress.....worst than the entire surgery. I even discussed with the UROs on the possibility replacing the pump. Both of them say, the pump thingy will loosen up. Scrotum is too painful to press any harder. Going on 15 weeks. I hope I don't have to use pliers or channel locks to use this damn thing. I have even used pain pills just to try to pump. Right now, I got a 3 piece suit with no where to go.
72, AMS 700 LGX. Married to an Angel. Discovered ED at 67. Path = Diabetic, Supplements, Pills, Needle, Pump, and finally AMS 700 (2-8-24).

Return to “Implants”