Scared About Reovery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
bsandy

Scared About Reovery

Postby bsandy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 am

I am 58 with ED and Peyronies and know I need an implant at some point. I am scared tremendously about the recovery period as it seems so unpredictable. I have read posts about guys doing great in about 3-4 weeks but other who are in significant pain for 2-3 months or more. I think, based upon other surgery I have had that I am a "slow healer" if that even means anything. I would have a hard time taking off more than three weeks from work. Also, being single, I am in this on my own and the thought of staying home for so long by myself with nothing to think about but my pain is really holding me off from doing this procedure. My gut say to wait until I am better prepared emotionally. Another kicker is my insurance my change in May and don't know what my coverage would be. I know there are know clear answers. Any comments appreciated.

trucxrule

Re: Scared About Reovery

Postby trucxrule » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Hello,

Your concerns are understandable . I think you are faced with two clear choices : Do nothing and live with 2 conditions that are bad & unlikely to improve until insurance loss prevents you from having an option or :

Recognize if you want to fix the issue it will take whatever sacrifice is needed ( pain, down time , etc) to reach the goal. You have coverage NOW , why not use it instead of lose it? You very well may heal slow - you can take leave past whatever paid time you have , ( short term, FMLA , unpaid med leave, etc) and work with your lenders on repayment if you need to for home and auto loans. That leaves being alone ( I'm also single and away from family) , you can always seek help from kin or friends but with planning , pain killers & a bit of good fortune you can emerge from this with your condition corrected and will soon forget what you had to do to make it. For myself I'd rather do that than watch an opp slip away & forever have no choice or options for recovery.
Trucx

wolfimplant

Postby wolfimplant » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 pm

I concur with the comment posted, but there is HOMEWORK to be done as to the specific surgeon.
Frankly, I did risk it with a young surgeon, only about 50 implants to his credit, but I noticed his
sense for perfection and general major interest in this particular surgery in the URO context, and all I can say
is this: after 5 weeks past surgery, EVERYTHING is perfect, no floppy head, never had any major pain EVER !!
Important tis to wear a scrotal supporter OVER the underwear for 2 weeks and stay at home the first week
with a lot of rest and ice bags on the area.
If one does just that, I think one can be back to light work the next week, not walking around majorly and not
lifting heavy times.

The recovery time in my opinion varies because patients do not follow the strict advice as above.

I had ZERO issues, never took one of those hard pills to comfort the pain; never had major pain even
in the hospital next morning. Did get some during the night just to be able to sleep better.

If you do your homework for a URO you trust, then I think you should go for it 100% and not wait a heart beat, especially if
insurance is covering you.

Best wishes,

WOLF
AMS LGX Implant Dec. 9th, 2013

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

I had mine done with an infrapubic incision. Pain was very minimal and healing was fast.

tankerman777

Postby tankerman777 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:13 am

Try not to worry so much yu'll be fine.
I am 49 years old have suffered from ED all my life. I have used pills and injections, I have had enough of all of that. I went and got an implant AMS700CX 9/4/13 so far I have no regrets. I LOVE THIS THING IT IS GREAT NO MORE ED WHOOHOO!!!!!.

jryancey44

Postby jryancey44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 am

I agree a lot with the other posts. I might add my dr did the scrotum approach which is the most painful and take longer to heal. I was in the hospital over night. I like you had peyronie disease,he put a coloplast Titian in me,I was never in more than moderate pain and after two days I managed it with Ibrophen. It was uncomfortable sitting down for about two weeks. I am 69 years old and also a diabetic,like the others said a good surgeon is critical,my surgeon at Duke Hospital here in North Carolina does 125-150 a year he is in his early 40s, but has terrific credentials. If you would like more infomation my e-mail is jryancey44@frontier.com.
I wish I had made this decision earlier, but being an engineer I had to do all the research first. I am really pleased with the results.

Jim

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:52 am

bsandy wrote:I am 58 with ED and Peyronies and know I need an implant at some point. I am scared tremendously about the recovery period as it seems so unpredictable. I have read posts about guys doing great in about 3-4 weeks but other who are in significant pain for 2-3 months or more. I think, based upon other surgery I have had that I am a "slow healer" if that even means anything. I would have a hard time taking off more than three weeks from work. Also, being single, I am in this on my own and the thought of staying home for so long by myself with nothing to think about but my pain is really holding me off from doing this procedure. My gut say to wait until I am better prepared emotionally. Another kicker is my insurance my change in May and don't know what my coverage would be. I know there are know clear answers. Any comments appreciated.

I have a very low pain threshold. However, after two weeks I was able to return to work. Recovery time for me took a couple of months. That written, I'm very glad I had the surgery.

The insurance coverage is not small matter, in my opinion. I paid $350 out-of-pocket for a procedure that without insurance would have costs 15 to 20 grand. While you're deciding, I recommend doing a little homework on doctors who do this surgery.

KMeister

proactive

Postby proactive » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:04 pm

I was back to work 17 days after surgery. (Desk job) I was up and getting around before that. He deflated me at day 16 and that made all the difference for being mobile. It was very uncomfortable before that for any period of time. Shaft wanted to be free and the scotum needed support. I walked 2 miles within the first hours of being totally deflated. I did not take any pain pills after leaving the hospital. Just ice and a few sleeping pills to get some rest. The first 48 hours were the worst. I could not find a way to sit or lay down and be comfortable.
If you don't have anybody near by, maybe you could hire someone to come over for 30 min a day check on you and help with anything you need done. after about 5 days you probably wont need anyone. I could have gone back to work before that if I could have went in naked from the waist down. LOL
50 yr old. 21cm Titan implanted on June 20th 2013

Return to “Implants”