When to switch from icing to heat?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
DeadlineDave

When to switch from icing to heat?

Postby DeadlineDave » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:30 am

I had surgery 4 days ago and had an atypical amount of swelling. Like a purple grapefruit scrotum. It's gradually going down....doc says it should be 60% resolved by my 2-week appointment. He left me 40% inflated because it would be too difficult and painful to cycle on day 2.

Question: He mentioned at some point switching to heat to allow the fluid to escape the tissue. Unfortunately, I was too distracted to press him on exactly when. I got the impression that at some point icing becomes less helpful for swelling and heat more-so.

Anyone know about the time-frame for this? I'd call my doc except it's the weekend and that would take a lot of work.

Thanks!
71 years old. Implanted 1/2/2024 with AMS LGX, 18cm with 4cm rear extenders by Dr. Bryan Kansas in Austin, TX.

ThailandBound

Re: When to switch from icing to heat?

Postby ThailandBound » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:55 am

I iced heavily and almost non-stop for the first 4 days. Then i switched to heat pads. My swelling was almost non-existent. Did you ice your scrotum? I did.

Dr Google also says to ice for 3-4 days after an injury.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

DeadlineDave

Postby DeadlineDave » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:03 pm

Thanks. I got the impression, though not exact timing, from the doctor that I should start soon. I have a lot of swelling, but it's slowly subsiding. I just sat at my desk for a few hours and had a little swelling come back. So, icing now.

I appreciate the reply.
71 years old. Implanted 1/2/2024 with AMS LGX, 18cm with 4cm rear extenders by Dr. Bryan Kansas in Austin, TX.

nerdynerd

Postby nerdynerd » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:02 pm

ThailandBound wrote:I iced heavily and almost non-stop for the first 4 days. Then i switched to heat pads. My swelling was almost non-existent. Did you ice your scrotum? I did.

TB, was the use of heat mentioned in your discharge papers or by Dr. Clavell either directly or in a video? I'm almost 4 weeks out and have only been icing. The swelling is down but I have a large edema on the tip of my foreskin.
Thanks.
nn
Born 1956. Peyronies + venous leak. Implanted 12/12/23 Dr. Clavell penoscrotal. Proximal = 10cm, right distal = 12.5cm, left distal = 12cm due to Peyronies. 1 0.5cm RTE on the right. 125CC reservoir filled with 110ml saline. Titan OTR.

DeadlineDave

Postby DeadlineDave » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:52 pm

It was mentioned at my 2nd day followup with Dr. Bryan Kansas. He said that I could begin using heat to help get rid of the swelling in the tissues.

I'm pretty OCD and he didn't say exactly which day.....just said I could begin at some point.

I've decided today is the day and I have to say the heat feels really good. Scrotum and surround swolleng, but getting better each day.

ThailandBound

Postby ThailandBound » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:21 pm

nerdynerd wrote:
ThailandBound wrote:I iced heavily and almost non-stop for the first 4 days. Then i switched to heat pads. My swelling was almost non-existent. Did you ice your scrotum? I did.

TB, was the use of heat mentioned in your discharge papers or by Dr. Clavell either directly or in a video? I'm almost 4 weeks out and have only been icing. The swelling is down but I have a large edema on the tip of my foreskin.
Thanks.
nn

I don’t recall icing instructions in the discharge papers. I referenced Dr. Google to good effect. Ice hard for 4 days. Penis and scrotum.
Active, athletic 63 years old. Sexually, still 33 in my mind and spirit. Pills and injections all worked, until they didn’t. Diagnosed with veinous leakage in 2022. Coloplast Titan. 22 CM. No RTE. Peno-scrotal. Implanted 1/4/23. Dr. Clavell.

beachbum1

Postby beachbum1 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:32 pm

I'm not Dr. But I iced regular the first 3 or 4 days then switched to ice and then heat maybe the hour or two. It's really what ever fools good. Icing will help with the swelling, heat helps with the healing. Most use only ice the first few days, then go back and forth. Don't think there's any set times or days. To me the heat was like using a heating pad on my back. Just felt good. Use take it off, use it when you need to maybe eas the pain a little
Had to join again as beachbum1. Was and am beachbum but chat has blocked me from a few members
First implanted AMS 700 CX 18+3, in Sept of 2016. Replacement AMS 700 CX 21+2 in August 2023

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:30 pm

I am nota doctor either, BUT, the standard procedure for swelling is:: ICE for 15 minutes. THEN Heat for 15 minutes. Longer than 15 defeats the process., ice, heat, ice , heat and so on. No specified amount of time.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Mrprime

Postby Mrprime » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:52 pm

I iced 3 days until doc said start pumping.. Then heat.. Baths and heat for me after 3rd day.. The heat helped tremendously.. It's a muscle... Heat relaxes muscles.. That's my logic.. Lol..
Bionic on Nov 7 2023 24cm coloplast titan
48yr old. Pills & Injections barely & stopped working.
Implanted by DR who uses NO touch TECHNIQUE.

DeadlineDave

Postby DeadlineDave » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:36 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm using heat in 5=-10 minute sessions and it feels goodl The purple bruise from the scrotum/groin area is now migrating down the legs. it's all slowly getting better.

I have to say this is harder than I imagined, but it's progressing in the right direction and hopefully will be a forgotten interlude.

I can feel the pump and the button. Doc didn't do anything at 2nd day. Said he will wait for swelling to subside and cycle at my 2-week appointment.

Return to “Implants”